currys asking for personel details

postggj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

today i purchessed a hoover from currys, i went to pay and they asked for my name and postcode

i asked them why, there reply was it for the guarantee.

i said i have 12 months.

they said it was incase i lost the receipt.

i have heard some crap, but this takes the cake.

they refused to sell me the hoover unless i gave my details.

i walked out.

data is a valuble comodity these days, but is it legal for them to do this

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere that it's all to do with marketing, they like to find out which postcodes are buying what and then they can gear their marketing strategies to those 'type of ppl'

I think you were right to tell them to stuff it. the only time they can reasonably ask for your details is when they sell you equipment relating to television (tv,sky box etc) they have to pass this information on to TV licencing ppl.

Just my opinion

Sharpman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sounds silly i know they do ask for that.

they can look it up on a system if you loose the reciet.

none technicly give them any old postcode and house number as long as you remember it they can look it up.

unfortunatly it is not a legal requirement to sell something for the asking price.

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Unless it's being delivered just give them any old postcode. I use one for an ex employer.

And if they are inferring that they would refuse statutory rights because of no receipt then they have another thing coming....

the thing is

how can they refuse to serve me because i refuse to give them my details.

after all, its only a hoover

there must be a data protection issue

i give no one my details now,

i had four years of hell with id fraud

They can refuse to serve anyone they want (save discrimination). It is the customer who makes the offer to buy which the seller can accept or decline. Unfortunately its either accept it, lie, walk away and shop elsewhere or spend lots of time, probably in futility, arguing the toss.

I choose lie or shop elsewhere.

ASDA have started doing this, asking for a postcode when you reach the checkout, I asked the reason for this as I didn't require delivery.

She told me it was to collect information on how far people travel to each store.

To this I did supply "a" postcode, but that was all that was asked for, no name or house number. Still very cheeky I think.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Come to think about it, I remember when I started working in insurance (sales). The first questions we had to ask were full name and address. Other details, such as type of car, convictions etc - those more likely to determine the price and whether or not a quote could be given, were left to last.

It turned out that the reason was to capture as much demographic information as possible and, well, flog it on. Providing quotes and insurance seemed to be a secondary business.

that, btw, was Abbey National General Insurance Services Ltd (and before anyone from Abbey et al moans, the operations manager of ANGISL confirmed it to me!)

I thought the insurance companies took this information in order to give the quote as part of the quote was based on your address and the area the vehicle will be kept, high crime post code areas and such...

Although, It should always be assumed that any business will "share" your details (sell them more like) unless you opt out or the terms doesn't mention anything about it.

Thanks

- Hobbie

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Insurance quotes + your details are kept on a central data base & when you ask another insurer/broker for a quote the previous quotes & details WILL be compared.

If discovered by you the reason given is that's it's to help combat fraud which is of course bollocks it's so they can price fix

To emphasize my point just before you insurance comes up for renewal do you receive lots of unsolicited offers from other companies If so that's my point

• Haha 1

Insurance quotes + your details are kept on a central data base & when you ask another insurer/broker for a quote the previous quotes & details WILL be compared.

If discovered by you the reason given is that's it's to help combat fraud which is of course bollocks it's so they can price fix

To emphasize my point just before you insurance comes up for renewal do you receive lots of unsolicited offers from other companies If so that's my point

Some time ago my other half filled a consumer questionair out consisting of questions relating to where we go for our holidays to what soap we purchase. Last month i requested all the information that experian hold on me, to my surprise the details my wife had given were recorded.

PW

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

It's a fact, information is worth money, people complete these surveys and free or receive a free pen.

The companies get this information and then bundle it all together.

An example of this would be a questionaire/survey containing questions such as what super market you use, what soap you use, if you have a contract or pay-as-you-go mobile etc...

The company receives back these questionaires/survey's bundle it all up, and sell on the information regarding mobile phone type to the companies with business in selling mobile phones, what soap you use to companies with interest in this etc...

I recall reading some time ago on the BBC's News site, that marketing information is worth anything upto £5 WITH personal information to a couple of pence if no personal information is available/included.

I once, would complete these questionaires/survey's, but now won't even share my name with anyone.

And the worst of all are the people in the streets collecting for charity, who stop you and think just because they flash a plastic ID photo card to you, that it is then safe you hand over your name/address/dob/bank/sortcode/account numbe and of course your mothers maiden name for security.

Any company who asks for my mothers maiden name "for security" I provide them with the companies own name, and explain my mothers maiden name has no bearing on me nor is it required for the running of my business.

Oh and whilst i'm on the subject, utility companies.... why do these people require your DOB and mothers maiden name?!? after all its not as if your going to get a birthday card from them.

Thanks

- Hobbie

I too have come across this more than once recently. Most recent was after buys a couple of small items and getting cashback in Asda.

For any place that asks my details they get told this:

SW1A 2AJ house number 10!

:p

I thought the insurance companies took this information in order to give the quote as part of the quote was based on your address and the area the vehicle will be kept, high crime post code areas and such...

Although, It should always be assumed that any business will "share" your details (sell them more like) unless you opt out or the terms doesn't mention anything about it.

That is true. However the insurer was very selective in its criteria. We probably rejected more people than we took on.

If you awere not a middle aged person with a bog standard car you were unlikely to be insured (at least at a decent rate). Over time you could tell almost exactly who would get rejected.

We got a lot of people asking "I have such a car do you quote for it?". I used to be honest and say no or that it would be expensive, but we were supposed not to do that. Instead we were supposed to go through the entire quote even if we knew damned well we would not cover.

And to prove the point this also covered commercial vehicles which we were not licensed to provide cover for. Even so, if anyone asked if we covered vans, we were told not to say no (though I did anyway) and to go through the quote.

All to capture data. It was worth quite a lot of money to the company.

I've had that a few times, tell them you have no fixed address and if they query it or look at you in a funny way tell them you are homeless and ask when they started discriminating against the homeless.

They really don't know how to handle that and they daren't then ask you any further questions for fear of upsetting you further.

Mossy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's when a vendor ask for your DATE OF BIRTH, I reallt get annoyed. Just say 'over 21' and watch the consternation. One complained he couldn't enter that into his system, I tired for him - and it accepted OV-ER-21 :)

• 3 weeks later...

What the staff are told is:

1: It's for TV licensing, when buying a TV.

2: It's so they can send you information about whateverhappens once your guarantee is up.

3: It's to give them lookup information so they can lookup your recept should you lose your old one or need it for some kind of insurance claim.

There is a data protection leaflet in each store stating in small print that they won't sell your information on ask to see this if your unsure. Also there is a no marketing button on the tills once you enter the details to prevent them sending you anything, including whateverhappens information. Which I instinctively tick even without being asked, and frequently get told off for.

Also, the tills won't allow a sale to be processed without giving the information, canceling the information simply returns the user to the previous screen for example:

Goods scanned > Total > Address information > Payment selection.

Pressing cancel on the address info returns us to total and doesn't allow us to take payment.

What the staff are told is:

1: It's for TV licensing, when buying a TV.

2: It's so they can send you information about whateverhappens once your guarantee is up.

3: It's to give them lookup information so they can lookup your recept should you lose your old one or need it for some kind of insurance claim.

There is a data protection leaflet in each store stating in small print that they won't sell your information on ask to see this if your unsure. Also there is a no marketing button on the tills once you enter the details to prevent them sending you anything, including whateverhappens information. Which I instinctively tick even without being asked, and frequently get told off for.

Also, the tills won't allow a sale to be processed without giving the information, canceling the information simply returns the user to the previous screen for example:

Goods scanned > Total > Address information > Payment selection.

Pressing cancel on the address info returns us to total and doesn't allow us to take payment.

In the case of a TV yes it is required for licensing purposes. As for the rest

it may be what the staff are told but it's complete rollocks & they know it...............or are just plain dumb to understand they have been misled (lied to) by their equally stupid employer

• 4 weeks later...
In the case of a TV yes it is required for licensing purposes. As for the rest

it may be what the staff are told but it's complete rollocks & they know it...............or are just plain dumb to understand they have been misled (lied to) by their equally stupid employer

I see, and you as a generic consumer with no attachment to the company or inside info are obviously more enlightened to this than me, a member of staff.

If we have been lied to, then consumers have been lied to, and the information and legal documentation in our stores is wrong and the company could be seriously prosecuted for it.

Do you really think DSGi are stupid enough to put a bunch of disclaimers out saying they won't sell your details on then do it anyway. Surely they'd just not bother with the disclaimers.