currys asking for personel details

postggj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Now I remember why I vowed never to use PC World, Currys or Dixons ever again.

I'll not go into the blatant lies I was told by PC World staff, or the sheer ignorance of a Dixons employee, which was why I took my original decision. I'll just state that my sanity has improved greatly since choosing to walk past such establishments.

My choice, of course. Now I find that my personal details are no longer personal as I MUST give them lots of information before these places would sell me anything. Even more reason for not wanting to give them another chance.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an observation - as two different issues are being merged into one. What the shop does at the point of sale is fair game, and you can refuse to provide any information - of give the address of the shop if the IT dept have been really stupid in forcing the tills.

HOWEVER in the case of REFUNDS, the situation changes. You paid cash, and you want cash back. They want to know WHO they're paying out and an address. This is an anti fraud measure, and without it certain staff could bolster their pay by putting through fake refunds. In the case of the recent posting, the guy bought a product that was otherwise fine and no requirement for Curry's to refund - but their policy is to offer refunds when asked, even though there was nothing wrong with the product.

Now, they could tell the purchaser to take a hike, or agree to refund them the money but ask for a little bit of information to facilitate the repayment and provide an audit trail. Faced with no refund as an alternative, this isn't an unreasonable request, and to go mad over it is frankly ridiculous.

Agreed Buzby but I don't think this is just about what happens at the till It's all the other rubbish we are told by the staff when buying in these places.

You know the stuff

"you need a warranty in case it goes wrong after the manufactures one runs out" ..........Customer OK I'll buy one when it does & as it's a washing machine if it goes wrong in only one year expect a visit "But you have to buy the warranty now" ...............Customer why if it already has one & so on & so on So much that by the time you reach the till you could cheerfully strangle someone particularly as you feel someone has just tried to put their hand in your pocket.

I've no argument with the deception used to extract information when there is no requirement to give it (look at all the firms that routinely ask for a DoB without a legitimate reason), but in the case recently outlined, for the process of admi9nistering a refund - I think there's nothing wrong with limited information being given to facilitate the refund, and the posters reaction was OTT.

The solution would appear to be that in the event of a problem, which the store refuses to consider without you giving out personal details, is simply to cut out the underpaid wage slave and start a small claim against the company.

(Although some of them do need to realise that that they are, in fact employed to take sh!te on behalf of their idiot employers.)

You can draw the Courts attention to the company's demand for personal data, in your PoCs.

Edited by noomill060

I dont think there is any reasonable reason to insist on any personal data before a refund is given.

1)You buy something

2) you discover its a bag of kak

3) You take it back

4) they refund you

The only possible reason they want you details is

a) They can sell this on to data collection companies, CRAs, direct mailers

and

b) You want your money back ASAP and dont have time to argue the toss with a spotty oik.