Running without Road Fund Licence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, we all know that if you don't get your car taxed there's a fine coming in the post for £1000. Two questions:

1. Is running without RFL still a criminal offence?

2. If so, then surely the Bill Of Rights Act 1689 makes this penalty illegal and unenforceable as all fines have to be awarded by a Court of Law?

3. If it's not a criminal offence then surely (2) applies doubly as no offence has been committed and therefore there is no fine to answer?

What do y'all think?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, we all know that if you don't get your car taxed there's a fine coming in the post for £1000. Two questions:

It says in the leaflet that came with mine - '...it is an offence to keep a vehicle on a public road which is not displaying a valid tax disc, even if you've applied for it and are waiting for it to arrive'.

The accepted 'right' to 14 days grace has no legal basis either.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

I thought the automatic fine was £80? My car tax ran out at the end of May and I could not renew it until I got paid on 16 June. I never received a fine (but I did make sure I parked it out of sight for that two weeks!)

OK, so it's a criminal offence which means that to be punished for it I MUST be sent to court. You cannot be convicted of a criminal offence in a summary way by some computer kicking out a piece of paper; it has to be presided over by a Magistrate or Judge and presumably in senior courts a Jury.

**UNLESS**

Someone can point me to the Road Fund Licencing law which *specifically* excludes the Bill of Rights Act 1689?

Not sure of the amount but TBH it's immaterial... it's the fact that you're being fined for a criminal offence without conviction.

very true Stoney m8, but as iits the government there must be a get out clause somewhere

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

I bought a new (secondhand) vehicle near the end of May, without any tax. The post office WOULD NOT accept a fax of a covernote as proof of insurance - so therefore it was impossible for me to tax it until the insurance cert arrived in the post, which didn't come until 1st June.

So they lost out on 1 month's tax. It's rediculous - they insist that you pay tax, but then do everything they can to make it difficult to comply!!!

The sooner they do away with it & instead put extra duty on fuel, the better (and then we can all complain about the price of petrol again!!!!).

The best way would be to scrap the RFL, and INCREASE duty on petrol to cover the shortfall.

This would mean those using the roads (and the other services who have costs related to road use such as the NHS (for treatment of accident vitims), DVLA, DSA etc) would pay proportionately to the amount they use the roads (also bigger vehicles, who cause more wear and tear to the roads, pay more). People couldn't then avoid paying into the pot by avoiding car tax

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

2. If so, then surely the Bill Of Rights Act 1689 makes this penalty illegal and unenforceable as all fines have to be awarded by a Court of Law?

3. If it's not a criminal offence then surely (2) applies doubly as no offence has been committed and therefore there is no fine to answer?

What do y'all think?

Even if you have road tax it is still an offence to "fail to display a current/valid excise licence" & thats what you would be fined for. As has been stated there is no such thing as 14 days grace

All Fixed Penalty notices can be disputed & you can elect to go to court. If you voluntary pay up then the "Bill of Rights" is not brought into play. Since decriminalisation of parking, councils should not use the terms "Penalty Notices" or "Fines" as these can only be administered after due process by a properly constituted court of law as per the "Bill of Rights". A fact they are just waking upto

Iv'e mentioned this before & it's important to note that if you live in publicly funded housing (Council or HA) & are parked even in your driveway you are still required to have valid road tax. You can't even SORN your vehicle. The council in such circumstances can & do have untaxed vehicles removed & crushed & you will be hit with a demand to pay at least £80 & it could be upto £1,000 plus all unpaid road tax

To be fair though not all 4x4 are gas guzzlers some saloons are worse it doesnt help when people constantly pick ono 4x4 drivers (not having a go and I dont own one) in fact a freelander for example takes up less room on the road than a mondeo.

Its definately the way to go get shot of the bloody road tax and add to fuel the high road users do more damage and thus pay more brilliant, not to mention they stop wasting police time and other admin/printing costs on it

Well said Rich.

I however, do own and drive a 4x4 and those who attack them are somewhat short-sighted. Why should we pay more karnevil?

What happens if those who oppose 4x4's actually win? Do you really think they will simply go away? They will turn their attention then to another type of car they don't like, sports cars perhaps, then people carriers, then estate cars, then soft tops and then when they have done that they attack every other type of car they can find, or maybe they'll go after motorbikes next and you wont be able to ride your bike, with or without tax.

And as for people who drive 4x4's and those who drive hundreds of miles a week paying more, don't they already pay more?

In a free and democratic society surely we are able to choose the type of cars we drive without fear of demonisation or victimisation.

Finally, I would like to point out that I probably pay less per mile for my car as I have converted it to LPG which I currently purchase at around 43p per litre. Furthermore it is much cleaner and kinder environmentally than both petrol and diesel in a number of ways.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

In a free and democratic society surely we are able to choose the type of cars we drive without fear of demonisation or victimisation.

Well said, dude.

Why should it always be 'the other guy' who should pay up?

We all have good reasons why we shouldn't be punished for our particular road use, whatever we drive - I work over 300 miles from home, why should I have to pay more to be able to visit my family?

The 'Holier than thou' cr#p or 'I'm alright Jack' routine is not helpful.

My arguement has two prongs. Why should those of us that don't cause very much wear and tear to the roads pay as much as those that do. Also with ever increasing levels of CO2 in the air there has got to be an incentive to drive less environmentally damaging vehicles, or, where possible, public transport.

It is now widely accepted that we have to drastically reduce our CO2 output. Taxing via fuel usage encourages people and companies to reduce consumption and the resulting co2 output.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

My arguement has two prongs. Why should those of us that don't cause very much wear and tear to the roads pay as much as those that do. Also with ever increasing levels of CO2 in the air there has got to be an incentive to drive less environmentally damaging vehicles, or, where possible, public transport.

It is now widely accepted that we have to drastically reduce our CO2 output. Taxing via fuel usage encourages people and companies to reduce consumption and the resulting co2 output.

What it actually does by increasing R/T & petrol duty is penalise most those who live in rural areas on low wages who rely on the private transport & have no public transport to fall back on

Anyone who has the facilty & access to a bus or a tram or train fine use it but don't assume everyone can.

Tell you what I suggest that all able bodied car owning townies should be singled out for extra taxation

I too own one of these horrible gas guzzling 4X4s and also live in a semi rural location I would be prepared to pay say an extra 5p litre if they abolished RFL

I also think that an insurance certificate in the windscreen would be a great idea

In days of old by taxing your car at the PO it enabled them to keep a check on your insurance and MOT without both of these you could not get RFL (unless car was newer than 36 mths for MOT)nowdays most details are stored on databases and can be checked in seconds

I know people complain about goverment making money out of fines but surely

if the RFL fund was abolished and incorporated into the price we pay at the pumps this would save £0000s in resourses taking these people to court in the first place,and think of all the court time this would save prehaps they could then increase the capicity of the CC to deal with our claims sooner;-)

Lloyds TSB - N1 claim issued 18/07/06 - £3440 Offered unconditional settlement 23/08/06

Vodafone-Information Commisioner assessment -default removal -25/07/06

they insist that you pay tax, but then do everything they can to make it difficult to comply

So true...

In answer to the 4x4 / Upping Fuel duty etc, IF anything like the revenue that is collected by the Government each year via Fuel/Road tax was re-spent back into the Roads / Transport systems, then this arguement would cease to exist immediately.

Free / heavily subsidised, efficient & reliable public transport would be the option for many, yet seeing as Blair, Brown & co are more bothered about spening money on their own expenses, and bombing the life out of Arab Nations that'll be that idea down the pan.

Rant over - carry on!

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Free / heavily subsidised, efficient & reliable public transport would be the option for many, yet seeing as Blair, Brown & co are more bothered about spening money on their own expenses, and bombing the life out of Arab Nations that'll be that idea down the pan.

Rant over - carry on!

Good point. I also agree with the " Tell you what I suggest that all able bodied car owning townies should be singled out for extra taxation" comment too but only if they don't car-share.

I too own one of these horrible gas guzzling 4X4s and also live in a semi rural location I would be prepared to pay say an extra 5p litre if they abolished RFL

I also think that an insurance certificate in the windscreen would be a great idea

In days of old by taxing your car at the PO it enabled them to keep a check on your insurance and MOT without both of these you could not get RFL (unless car was newer than 36 mths for MOT)nowdays most details are stored on databases and can be checked in seconds

I know people complain about goverment making money out of fines but surely

if the RFL fund was abolished and incorporated into the price we pay at the pumps this would save £0000s in resourses taking these people to court in the first place,and think of all the court time this would save prehaps they could then increase the capicity of the CC to deal with our claims sooner;-)

The data bases are linked & can identify an uninsured, non MOT, untaxed vehicle in the blink of an eye. In other words you can't tax ,even on line, without these being valid. If you visit the PO to obtain tax your insurance must be valid for at least another month. Also the PO clerk has a bar reader which confirms to him her that you have with you a valid insurance & MOT certificate with you

For the last two years I've tried to pay online, but I get rejected because my insurance runs out a couple of days before the RFL, even though it has been renewed at least 14 days earlier. Means a trip to the PO instead of the joys of online payment - and this year the online site was down for three days before I then got rejected! :mad:

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

For the last two years I've tried to pay online, but I get rejected because my insurance runs out a couple of days before the RFL, even though it has been renewed at least 14 days earlier. Means a trip to the PO instead of the joys of online payment - and this year the online site was down for three days before I then got rejected! :mad:

Like I said it's my understanding the insurance has to show up as being valid for at least a month from date of RF renewal. You can renew your RF before (I think it's 15 days) it expires. The new licence will commence at the expiry of your existing one (the 1st day of the month)

Originally Posted by thewifeandI

For the last two years I've tried to pay online, but I get rejected because my insurance runs out a couple of days before the RFL, even though it has been renewed at least 14 days earlier. Means a trip to the PO instead of the joys of online payment - and this year the online site was down for three days before I then got rejected! :evil:

I had this as well but managed to break the cycle:) taxed car for 6 months next time round isnt a problem does cost a little more :mad: but beat the hour wait at the post office

Lloyds TSB - N1 claim issued 18/07/06 - £3440 Offered unconditional settlement 23/08/06

Vodafone-Information Commisioner assessment -default removal -25/07/06

Being "widely accepted" does not make it true or right, bank charges for example are still widely accepted...

Over the last 5 years a significant body of scientific research has concluded that atmospheric carbon dioxide is not the climate criminal it is made out to be by self-proclaimed 'environmentalist' groups and opportunist politicians.

Furthermore, a recent study has shown that "public transport consumes 60% more energy per person transported than private transport, such as cars and motorcycles, and takes up 200% more public space."

We do pay per mile to use the roads, therefore those of us who, apparently, cause wear and tear to the roads do pay more. We pay through our punishingly high fuel taxes, the more you drive the more you pay.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Guys, if you want to discuss the ins and outs, pros and cons of road tax and fuel tax, would you please be so kind as to start your own thread?

On Topic, I'm still waiting to hear someone who knows' point of view as to the legality of the postal fines levied by the DVLA Enforcement Division; does anyone have a view on that? Can the Bill of Rights Defence be used against it?

You could try but I am not aware of anyone who has successfully used this defence yet.

On Thursday 6th July a senior High Court judge demolished the belief that the 1689 Bill of Rights outlaws parking charges because they have not been imposed by a court of law. Mr Justice Collins said the belief was "baseless" and "a nonsense".

I would suspect that the same ruling would not be limited to parking fines.

You could try but I am not aware of anyone who has successfully used this defence yet.

On Thursday 6th July a senior High Court judge demolished the belief that the 1689 Bill of Rights outlaws parking charges because they have not been imposed by a court of law. Mr Justice Collins said the belief was "baseless" and "a nonsense".

I would suspect that the same ruling would not be limited to parking fines.

Well, it depends you see. Parking "Fines" are quite, quite different. The reason is that parking is DECRIMINALISED; i.e. it is not an offence to park in contravention of local regulations. THAT is why Mr Justice Collins ruled as he did; these are not fines, he said. Quite so. However, driving without RFL **IS** an offence. And therefore any penalty for this offence must by definition be a fine. And therefore must be awarded by a court... see my thinking?