• Tweets

• The Letter of Claim information is not absolutely essential, but it would be useful for two reasons. Firstly, judges take a dim view of companies or individuals who rush to court without giving the other party notice and a chance to settle - the Letter of Claim.  If they didn't send it we could include this point in your defence and it would be detrimental to them. Secondly, we know Countrywide.  They are a very small cowboy company.  The are reluctant to do court, simply becasue they are very bad  at it.  Their record of beating Caggers in front of a judge is exactly 0%.  They have lost every time.  They send the Letter of Claim also to look for people who don't reply, thinking that the person might not reply to a claim form either, giving them an easy default win.  Conclusion - always best to reply to a Letter of Claim and ridicule the PPC's case.
    • Any update here? I ask as we have someone in a similar situation.
    • Thanks!  I already sent the acknowledgement as i panicked and thought today was the last day to respond.  Then i remembered this wonderful forum.  I'll follow the steps in the sticky next.
    • It's possible.  I suffer from ADHD and also anxiety and depression currently and struggle with paperwork.  I'll have a search around to see if i can find anything.  If they did send something I haven't replied.  I thought there's no way that they will pursue this because I know for a fact i didn't park in a private space and the evidence they have sent is so ridiculous.  What impact does this other paperwork have?
    • The particulars of claim doesn’t mention statement of accounts.  Should I include that in the cpr letter?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclaycard/Mercers insider info - probably valid for other DCAs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3084 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would like to add to this thread by stating that though very informative it's not the full picture.

Barclays may not take anyone to court themselves but what they do do is they sell the debt (allegedly) & let someone else take the debtor to court. They even include in their sale of delinquent debt debts which they know are time barred

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read your replies and would like to express thanks for taking time to reply. I will follow your advice and I am also starting new thread - New Member 1stCredit and other DCA issues - would be very grateful if you could take a look sometime. Also, as work Mon, Tues and Weds I will probably not have much time to visit forum until Thurs, so if you leave posts and I do not reply please be aware that I am not ignoring you;-)

Hi Rock n Roll, I've just got some stuff back from Barclays as part of an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request and wondered if you could translate something for me, as it appears on the statements of three accounts they've sent details of.

This is it.....CHRGOFF PRCH PRIN BALM and then it shows a nil balance outstanding.

I'd be very grateful if you could explain it to me.

All the best, Patma

Patma - did you get back to Barclays - I got the same thing from them but I was surprised that they even had these statements on because it is well over 6 years since I have been in contact with them.:mad:

Hi Allwood,

This I think refers to the US 'Charge Off' system that roughly equates to a default (the amount is 'charged off' the balance sheet of the creditor.

This shows that the main balance for accounting purposes is zero.

Newborn

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

Probably just the software they use. Unless someone knows different?

Newborn

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

hi all, this is my first posting on here, im after some advice please. a while back i was defaulted by Barclaycard, they then sold the debt to HFO services, who on the same date also defaulted me?

i have asked them for statements so i know exactly what im paying but so far they are refusing!

my questions are:

can 2 defaults be helt for the same thing? and can i remove one befor i talk to HFO?

can HFO default me without any agreement with then signed?

ive now asked them for a credit agreement before i go any further, and ive never agreed any amount with them

where do i stand? i asked them for copy statemants, they sent me the last one showing 778 owed to barclaycard, barclaycard default is 1370.00

HFO same but in letter today they are asking for 1687.82???

what do i owe?

You really need to start a thread of your own with this, John... Before you do though, was that a request for a copy of your agreement using a template from this site... and did you send it by rec. delivery ?

If not, then it will need to go off again....

hi all, this is my first posting on here, im after some advice please. a while back i was defaulted by Barclaycard, they then sold the debt to HFO services, who on the same date also defaulted me?

i have asked them for statements so i know exactly what im paying but so far they are refusing!

my questions are:

can 2 defaults be helt for the same thing? and can i remove one befor i talk to HFO?

can HFO default me without any agreement with then signed?

ive now asked them for a credit agreement before i go any further, and ive never agreed any amount with them

where do i stand? i asked them for copy statemants, they sent me the last one showing 778 owed to barclaycard, barclaycard default is 1370.00

HFO same but in letter today they are asking for 1687.82???

what do i owe?

NO they cannot default you twice for the same debt & it's against OFT guidelines to do so - but they do - why - because the lazy buggers at the likes of Barclays can't be bothered to get off their butts & remove their default after selling the debt - why should they care - your only a feckless debtor who's rights can be ignored - aren't you:mad:

firstly johnbrigs,YOU DO NOT TALK TO HFO ON THE PHONE PERIOD

you send them a letter CCA. then SAR BARCLAYS then you will find you will need to send a letter for harrassment to HFOSCUM cause that is what you can expect next time they ring you start of by refusing to give them any details over the phone and quote them please write to my address if you wish to engage with me thank you and put the phone down also you need to get a phone type recorder to record all the HFO CALLS and with this you can then send directly to the ICO and trading standards cause if you are not sure yet you will be hassled at least five times or more daily

for other if you can direct him how to start a new thread or move his post to a new thread for him on their we can help him

patrickq1

Hi all just fishing for info, some very interesting things in this post...

Good luck to all.

Remember "there is always a way... and you will find the right way..."

Regards. G

Thanks for caring... G

It's never as bad as it seems...

Well, after a brief spell of silence from Mercers (2/3 weeks with no calls).... they started off again with a vengeance at the beginning of this week. This doesn't bother me in the slightest :rolleyes: ... since I'm usually at work anyway and only come home to find some "robot" telling me to "Please call Mercers, on blah, blah... which gets promptly deleted.

I am off this week though.... so I'm at HOME. Last night, there was "Laura" asking for me by my first name.... which is never what my friends call me anyway, so that's the first giveaway. She got very irate when I wouldn't confirm my surname and since I'm one of the calmest people on the planet (most of the time).... this seemed to irritate her further, until she finally hung up in temper. :D

Had one robot this morning... after unplugging the 'phone overnight... and one guy this afternoon, who'd already hung up before my daughter could pass the 'phone across. My call log is now on 2 pages and growing by the day.... a complaint has already gone in to Barclaycard and cc'd to Mercers, which they've effectively ignored..... so, it's going to boil down to who is going to get on whose nerves first. Maybe I'm strange.... but it's kinda amusing.... lol !

No CCA though.... tut ! :p

• 2 weeks later...

Barclays got a ccj against me for a credit card more than 15yrs ago. The first I knew about it was when I received the documents from the court telling me how much I had to pay. I must have been one of those that they were making examples of according to Rock N Roll:) .

Thanks for this valuable info, Rock & Roll. I've just started taking Barclaycard to task for loading up my credit card with OL, LP charges etc. all caused by the charges they've applied to a debt I had agreed with them to pay off at £50.00 a month & had been doing so. Just applied for SAR & CCA & surprise, surprise, what's come back but a LBA standard drivel & of course, no CCA! I'll let you know how this progresses - maybe in 12 months (or longer!) time....;)

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

• 4 weeks later...

Received my CCA from Barclaycard today. I think they'll be forwarding it on to HFO Services.

Unfortunately, Barclaycard haven't written off my debt and I doubt HFO will.

Is it worth me contacting Barclaycard and asking them to write off the debt?

leedsangel

this thread is getting very ragged and slightly mixed up are there some on here who have not yet had any response to their queries if so please start your own thread and the more knowlegdable on here will help with some input to get you started leeds angel it may bot go to hfo but if it does can you post all your data to date keeping personal details off the thread then we will guide you through this murky world of dca

patrickq1

Hi there, I need urgent help. I am being harassed through telephone and letters by Barclaycard(Mercers) and Cahoot. I would say Mercers are worse. I suffered back injury last year in August and since then I am working with reduced hours. I owe barclaycard £6500 and Cahoot (Loan) £5000. At first I contacted CCCS and according to their advice i paid token payment to both my creditors but then I had to contact Citizen Advice Bureau. CAB has done everything for me and distributed my left money to my creditors. Barclaycard has refused to accept my offer and asked to pay £70. How can i pay £70 when I work only two days and I have one dependent.

Mercers has threaten me a door collection recovery for which I sent a complaint letter to Barclaycard.

Now Mercers has asked to go back to CAB for Debt Management Plan. Mercers have already given my case to SCOTCALL an other collection agency. What should I do now as I am so frustrated. I have got exam and they are threatening me everyday.

Waiting for your advice . ASH

Hi Ash..... you need to start your own threaad on this. Mercers are one of the worst for ignoring complaints about telephone harrassment. Your name is one of hundreds on a telephone dialler software programme..... so when you hear the space-age gap before anyone speaks, just hang up and they'll move on to the next person on the list.

If they do catch you however, just refuse to go through "security" and they'll have no choice but to hang up themselves. Don't have any more dealings with them on the 'phone....

Start your own thread and someone will find you to advise further.

:)

Hi there, I need urgent help. I am being harassed through telephone and letters by Barclaycard(Mercers) and Cahoot. I would say Mercers are worse. I suffered back injury last year in August and since then I am working with reduced hours. I owe barclaycard £6500 and Cahoot (Loan) £5000. At first I contacted CCCS and according to their advice i paid token payment to both my creditors but then I had to contact Citizen Advice Bureau. CAB has done everything for me and distributed my left money to my creditors. Barclaycard has refused to accept my offer and asked to pay £70. How can i pay £70 when I work only two days and I have one dependent.

Mercers has threaten me a door collection recovery for which I sent a complaint letter to Barclaycard.

Now Mercers has asked to go back to CAB for Debt Management Plan. Mercers have already given my case to SCOTCALL an other collection agency. What should I do now as I am so frustrated. I have got exam and they are threatening me everyday.

Waiting for your advice . ASH

Hi Ash, if you start your own thread up, and put this information on it then your request wont get muddled up in an established thread. :)

click on this link

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk...tion-industry/

it will take you to the main Debt Collection Industry Forum. If you then scroll all the way down to the bottom you will see a button. "new thread" click on that and a new page will open up, you just give your thread a title.. "Ash against the world" or whatever .. type in your question and hit submit. :grin:

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

So getting back to rock n rolls original post. If you ceased making token payments to Barclaycard / Mercers then they would never take you to court and obtain a CCJ? Ride out the 7 years no payments rule and hey presto a clean credit record. All sounds too easy to me. Has anyone had any experience of cutting all ties like this. I have changed mobile and home phone number so only get the occasional letter which is manageable :-)

Well I have reached the waiting for the seven years stage with about six different cards - with some of them I have heard nothing for at least 18 months:D. Barclaycard is one of them, although they were a tough nut to crack. That is on the basis that they didn't have a valid credit agreement, or in several cases they had nothing at all

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON