Loans.co.uk - personal details sold on - Is this a scam

ianfm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had a letter, seems I'm also in the same boat

My big issue is looking at the first post on this thread they have obviously been aware of this for some months so why has it taken them so long to contact me?

NOT impressed

Letter going off

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that more and more of us are all in the same boat and I for one cannot understand why they did not send out all the letters in one go and what about the peeps that do not know about sites like this and where to get info to help.

They have sent me the details which they hold on me similar to a SAR and I am not happy that they hold on record extremely sensitive info my mothers maiden name amongst other info. I also did not have a loan with them it was just an enquiry which I never proceeded with.

It also appears from Zootscoots responses that we do not have any legal recourse unless we actually suffer a personal loss and then you would have to prove that it was as a result of their negligence.

I still think it is a must that this matter is reported to the ICO by each and every one of us, I think at the very least they should be fined extremely heavily as what they have allowed to happen as it is negligent and possibly the DATA Controller should be sacked from his post. I believe it could also be a prisonable offence if found guilty.

Let me know what other action you think we can all take either jointly or individually.

Thanks

DS

My husband got this letter also, funnily enough he applied for a credit card the other day and was declined! We thought this was a bit strange as he usually gets accepted for things all the time. Gonna call him now to ask him to check out the credit expert thing to make sure that no-one has been applying for things in his name!

Following my 'Notice of Legal Action' letter, loans.co.uk wrote back within 4 days stating they will not pay any compensation. I am firstly surprised by their bullish and fast reply, and secondly also surprised that they will not delete my data from their records.

On the latter point - as I have never been a cleint of theirs - are they entitled to hold onto my data, and if so, how long for? Lones.co.uk claim they have a "statutory and legal obligation to retain" my details. Does anyone know under which law they must keep data of an applicant?

I mean it is bad enough for one breach, but it seems loans.co.uk is hell bent on securing my data for future breaches too.

What do you think a Court would make of this? Do I stand a chance?

In any even I have given loans.co.uk until mid Nov to settle my claim for compensation and to delete my records, thereafter I will file an application though the Courts.

The Mozzie vs. Loans.co.uk / MBNA / Bank of America

in

Horsham County Court - Jan 2008

for:

Breach of Data Protection Act 1998 and Money Laundering Regulations 2003 - dont ask me I am still studying these up!

:D

Please PM any help, tipz or relevant case studies

One of the companies who regularly mailshots me is Loans UK. I have yet to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) them but it may be a good idea as contact sent me this information about the companies directors and it would seem there is a conflict of interest (to say the least). I was an MBNA client and I find it astonishing that their senior lawyer Donna Pumfrey and this Michele Green woman are both directors of this and of MBNA. Surely they should resign from one or the other.

(Main interest highlighted in red.)

Company Number 03391635 Company Name LOANS.CO.UK LIMITED

Name JULIEANN GREER

Function Director

Appointment Date 15-01-2003

Present Appointments 2

Name MICHELE SYLVIA GREENE

Function Director

Appointment Date 31-01-2006

DOB 18-09-1965

Present Appointments 17

Name IAN JOHN SULLIVAN O'DOHERTY

Function Director

Appointment Date 10-07-2006

DOB 08-06-1962

Present Appointments 2

Name CAROLINE JUNE HAYNES

Function Director

Appointment Date 05-10-2006

DOB 08-12-1971

Present Appointments 1

Name DONNA W PUMFREY

Function Company Secretary

Appointment Date 29-11-2005

DOB 10-02-1946

Present Appointments 8

Now Look at the Directorships Michele Greene has:

MICHELE SYLVIA GREENE Present Appointments17 Company NamePREMIUM CREDIT LIMITED Company Number02015200 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameMBNA EUROPE BANK LIMITED Company Number02783251 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameDEBT CLEAR RECOVERIES & INVESTIGATIONS LIMITED Company Number02877251 FunctionDirector StatusInactive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2005 Company NameMBNA EUROPE HOLDINGS LIMITED Company Number02898169 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameMBNA PROPERTY SERVICES LIMITED Company Number02910645 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date30-06-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2005 Company NameMAINSEARCH COMPANY LIMITED Company Number02910651 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date30-06-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2005 Company NamePANELDELUXE COMPANY LIMITED Company Number02910660 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date30-06-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameWINDELUXE COMPANY LIMITED Company Number02910678 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date30-06-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameMBNA DIRECT LIMITED Company Number02922208 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameMBNA EUROPE FUNDING PLC Company Number02950906 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NamePREMIUM CREDIT RECEIVABLES LIMITED Company Number03173715 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date06-03-2007 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameVENDCROWN LIMITED Company Number03208019 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameLOANS.CO.UK LIMITED Company Number03391635 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameRESEARCH EUROPE LIMITED Company Number03790742 FunctionDirector StatusInactive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2005 Company NameMARLIN HOUSE HOLDINGS LIMITED Company Number04416388 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006 Company NameMBNA GLOBAL SERVICES LIMITED Company Number04853435 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date07-07-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2005 Company NameMBNA INTERNATIONAL PROPERTIES LIMITED Company Number02833317 FunctionDirector StatusActive Appointment Date31-01-2006 Latest Accounts31-12-2006

Hi

I sent the letter posted earlier in this post.

I have today received a reply which reeds as follows:

In response to your request for information regarding the investigation into the unauthorised sale of data, I can inform you that the incident was reported to the police however it is the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) who are investigating the matter. Both the police and the ICO will not be able to give you anymore detail than we have already provided so I would advise you not to contact them.

As our previous letter advised the information was passed on to third party loan companies without our authority. Thisa information has been used by a number of different companies for marketing purposes.

Further to your request for compensation, we are not offering any compensation. However, we have taken the precautionary step of notiying everyone we think may be affected, givibng them fraud prevention tips and access to a free credit monitering service as detailed in our previous letter.

Your letter states that you are seeking legal advice and we understand your concern on this matter, which is why we have contacted you. You are obviously free to seek any independant advice on this issue.

I was given a copy of the internal complaints leaflet and the new contact is Nick McBrien who is the customer satisfaction manager.

I am in the middle of drafting another letter to them the pigs.

Lyn

There are many of us in the same position and I for one had the identical letter to you. Having taken advice from Zootscoot, one of the moderators on thid site it really does not look like we would get anywhere with a claim unless it can be proven that as a result of this breach you actually suffered a financial loss.

The only option it seems that is open to all of us is to complain bitterly to the ICO. Loans.co.uk are part of MBNA for starters and are part of an extremely large organisation. They have already been fined for mis selling of PPI, so the ICO should take seriously all of our complaints.

If anyone has any suggestions to combat this, please speak up!

Ds

I to also received the same letter of them last week, but I did take a loan out with them about 4 years ago - which is since paid off. I sent a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office, but still awaiting a reply.

NatWest

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 02/01/07

Statements received - 15/01/07

Prelim sent - 24/01/07

LBA sent - 15/02/07

Claim filed in court - 20/03/07

Court date received for 26th June - 01/06/07

Received offer for full & final settlement from Cobbetts - 22/06/07:D :D

Capital One

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 26/06/07

Statements received - 03/07/07

Prelim letter sent - 17/07/07

Letter received - 07/08/07 - WON!!:grin:

Name of the investigating officer at the Info Commissioner is: Kevin Flynn (sp?) Shhhhhht!:-D

He mentioned an IT person at MBNA caused the breach, so I think this is perhaps higher up than loans.co.uk

I have filed an application to the Court for:

1) Compensation (see my previous posts)

2) An Order for loans.co.uk and all subsids or related companies to delete my data.

It is going to be hell representing myself with a set of legislation I dont know well (DPA 1998 and AML 2003 regs) against such a giant, but I have a strong view against bullish behaviour by large companies.

Good luck to you guys and keep the pressure on relentlesly!

The Mozzie vs. Loans.co.uk / MBNA / Bank of America

in

Horsham County Court - Jan 2008

for:

Breach of Data Protection Act 1998 and Money Laundering Regulations 2003 - dont ask me I am still studying these up!

:D

Please PM any help, tipz or relevant case studies

Name of the investigating officer at the Info Commissioner is: Kevin Flynn (sp?) Shhhhhht!:-D

He mentioned an IT person at MBNA caused the breach, so I think this is perhaps higher up than loans.co.uk

I have filed an application to the Court for:

1) Compensation (see my previous posts)

2) An Order for loans.co.uk and all subsids or related companies to delete my data.

It is going to be hell representing myself with a set of legislation I dont know well (Data Protection Act 1998 and AML 2003 regs) against such a giant, but I have a strong view against bullish behaviour by large companies.

Good luck to you guys and keep the pressure on relentlesly!

We are right behind you! if you need anything just ask!! if we can help we will.

I am sure you will do just fine and I am sure that someone with some expert knowledge will help you. Perhaps it would be a good idea to look on the MBNA threads as there may well be infomation that has already been gathered by other peeps on MBNA, also in the library on the DATA PROTECTION ACTS.

MBNA, are as you say a law unto themselves and one day they will be punished for they way in which they deal with us the consumers.

DS

MBNA are the only company to ever turn me down for a credit card.

So it would be nice to get some payback :D

[COLOR=#2e8b57][B][SIZE=1][U]Claimed & won so far[/U]:-[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen][U]Banks[/U]:- NatWest Personal £1000, Natwest Business £2000, Lloyds TSB Personal £1500, [U]Mortgages[/U]:-Central Capital (PPI) £500, Natwest MEAF £140 [/COLOR][COLOR=#2e8b57][U]Credit cards[/U]:- HSBC Gold card £365, Capital One £599.55 Barclaycard £1070 ( i only aske for £700) , Lloyds £500 [U]Catalogues[/U]:- Littlewoods Direct Flex Account £60 :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][B][U]For Friends[/U][/B]:- Natwest £1500, £1800 & £500, Cap One £600, Barclaycard £400, Solutions £100, Aqua, £105.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][B][U][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]Pending:-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=seagreen][SIZE=1]Barclays Bank Personal (On hold - Thanks a lot OFT) :mad:.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

So - (forgive me for being dumb) info given over phone for bumph to be sent out for quote (not intending to take) will be sold on possibly without my consent?

Yes. I never had a loan with them , so must have phoned them at some point for a quote.

[COLOR=#2e8b57][B][SIZE=1][U]Claimed & won so far[/U]:-[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen][U]Banks[/U]:- NatWest Personal £1000, Natwest Business £2000, Lloyds TSB Personal £1500, [U]Mortgages[/U]:-Central Capital (PPI) £500, Natwest MEAF £140 [/COLOR][COLOR=#2e8b57][U]Credit cards[/U]:- HSBC Gold card £365, Capital One £599.55 Barclaycard £1070 ( i only aske for £700) , Lloyds £500 [U]Catalogues[/U]:- Littlewoods Direct Flex Account £60 :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][B][U]For Friends[/U][/B]:- Natwest £1500, £1800 & £500, Cap One £600, Barclaycard £400, Solutions £100, Aqua, £105.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][B][U][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]Pending:-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=seagreen][SIZE=1]Barclays Bank Personal (On hold - Thanks a lot OFT) :mad:.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Been getting 'customer service' calls 2 or 3 times a day ever since they first phoned me presumably wanting to know if I am taking loan up - never answered as partner took calls - but wondering if tell them to get lost don't want it, how ****y of they will get with AL cc card they own (suddenly gone up to 34% which say I have had letter about - don't think so)

Hi Guys heres a copy of the email I recieved from the ICO:

Thank you for your email dated 26 October 2007 concerning Loans.co.uk.

You have been made aware that information relating to you may have been among certain data sold to third party loan companies without Loans.co.uk’s permission and in contravention of the Data Protection Act 1998.

Unfortunately I can only reiterate what Loans.co.uk have advised you in their letter as we are only inviting people to complete our complaint form if they have been caused detriment by the sale of the data, which from the information provided, does not appear to be applicable in your case.

Loans.co.uk have contacted us in relation to this incident and we understand that the information involved may be used by third party loan companies to contact you to offer financial products. We have not found any evidence to suggest that it will be used for any other purposes.

If you are not already registered, you can help prevent unsolicited sales and marketing calls by registering for free with the Telephone Preference Service. You can do this by calling 0845 0700707 or visiting their website www.tpsonline.org.uk.

Officers from our Investigations Department are working with Loans.co.uk to see if a criminal offence has been committed. Once this investigation is complete we will post our findings and details of any action we have taken on our website – www.ico.gov.uk.

I would like to thank you for bringing this to the Information Commissioner's Office. If we can be of any further assistance please contact our Helpline on 08456 30 60 60, or 01625 545745 if you would prefer to call a national rate number, quoting your case reference number.

Yours sincerely

Elaine Lynn

Case Reception Unit.

I am still waiting for a reply from loans.co.uk to my last letter sent about a week ago. I have asked them for a guarentee after the 12 month free trial ends with credit expert because how do they know the personal info. will not be used after 12 months?

I bet Loans.co.uk are pleased that the government as today admitted losing 25 million child benefit details.

They are less likely to get criticised by any government department now.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat as everybody else, keep getting calls from International Companies, who know more about me than what I do.

I have today sent the letter below to the MD @ Loans.co.uk. Lets see what happens.

Julieann Greer

Managing Director

Loans.co.uk

6 Marlin House

Croxley Business Park

Watford

WD18 8TD

Re: Loans.co.uk Data Leak

Dear Ms Greer,

In response to your letter, received on 25th October, I have decided to approach you as all previous correspondences to you company have been ignored. I have attached a news item from ComputerWeekly.com dated 24th September, advising that the leak had been found and providing a “feeble” excuse as to how the incident had arisen.

All I have had since this news outbreak are calls from International Companies, offering loans, they are telling me details about myself, i.e. how much my mortgage is for, how many credit cards I have etc. I have approached BT to get these calls blocked, however, they advise that there is nothing that they can do unless I change my number, which I am unwilling to do.

If this excuse is accurate about one of your employees accessing my personal details without authorisation, then as per the Data Protection Act, I will hold both the employee, who I would presume to now be an ex-employee and yourself responsible.

I would like to see everything that you hold about myself, (everything that you have sold for monetary gain.) I would ask that someone get this mess sorted out, remove my details and contact me with some sort of compensation before I go to the Ombudsman and the Police with a view of pressing charges.

Yours Sincerely

Following the Company Search on Loans.Co.Uk I found that Donna Pumfrey a lawyer for MBNA is also the Company Solicitor for this Company. I have this morning sent her an email and have asked certain questions on a low footing at present, I will step up my questions when she gives me the answers I require.

I also received this morning an unsolicited mail from GE Money Home Lending, and in the right hand corner, is Loans.Co.Uk, so they together with MBNA are all connected. I for one have never had any loan with this Company, but have a Debenhams and Evans Account with GE Money. I think some years ago like you I may have apllied for a loan but did not take them up. So what legal standing do we have!! are we protected!! against this under the CCA.

How did they get access to your NAT West account to commit an identity fraud, what dates did this happen! when I start getting the info from Donna Pumfrey, if it is true what that letter states, I will find out WHAT DATE this theft occurred to see if it ties up with you identity theft.

I am now going to check my bank statements.

Regards

DS

so now I see the connection! my mortgage co has obviously passed details 'across' without telling me!!!

and by the way, has anyone tried to use the redemption code to access their file - GOOD LUCK

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

so now I see the connection! my mortgage co has obviously passed details 'across' without telling me!!!

and by the way, has anyone tried to use the redemption code to access their file - GOOD LUCK

Intregued what is the redemption code!

DS

the letter from loans.co had a complementary code to access your file for free for about 12 months I think it said, but many have decided they do not want anything to do with the free code as signing up to creditexpert can of itself cause you additional problems in an 'updating' way. creditexpert refer to it as a Redemption Code.

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...