Mercers/Barclaycard Debt Help Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

With reference to a comment Barclayshark made in their lastest manuscript;

"We will only consider a token monthly repayment when formally approached by a natianally recognised debt counselling company".

Does anyone know of one that would take on my case, free of charge?

I have tried a few but they are only offering DMP's or IVA's, but they want between £100-£150pm repayment, which is out of the question on state benefits.

I just am at a loss as what to do next with Barclayshark, they will not agree to nothing.

Thanks again

Alf

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We will only consider a token monthly repayment when formally approached by a natianally recognised debt counselling company".

Alf

Hi,

Save that letter. If you have offered a token payment and it's all you can afford a Judge would not be impressed if this were ever to get to court. They are actually refusing an amacable solution.

Hi alf,

That is almost exactly the same letter that they sent me!

That's when I sent my letter telling reminding that they are aware of my situation etc etc!

The bit about only helping you if a debt counselling agency acts on your behalf is a load of b*******! If you can only afford a token payment, then that's that, regardless of who approaches them!

However, should you wish to use an agency, may I suggest CCCS.

CCCS - Tel: 0800 138 1111

Or you may wish to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Best wishes, Jeff.

Hi Alf, I have been having an issue with Barclaycard/Mercers as well. Receiving sometimes 30 phonecalls in one day. I have made them accept an offer of a minimum payment of £20 per month plus they have reduced the interest for me down to 1%.

The only way I have done this is by email, initially to the customer services address and then it was passed onto someone in the customer relations department. He listened to my complaints regarding payments and the number of calls I was getting from Mercers and the 0845 number (which incidentally is Barclaycard after Mercers has passed the debt back to them I believe). He eventually managed to get the calls stopped - they are done on an automatic dialling system as you were told, but they can be stopped.

Anyway, if it is any use to you the email for the guy who helped me is [email protected]. He was very helpful and polite throughout several emails.

Good luck

this bit about 'sorry its an automated call system' i think is not answered correctly & IS illegal, just another load of rubbish.

it IS harrassment fullstop.

bit like the age old excuse about the mistake being my computer did it or it is not working.

sadly i'm on really long duties over thid b'holiday period so i cant browse the relevent doc.

but i bet it not a valid excuse.

there must be rules on it.

DON'T stop the payments keep doing it.

and whatever you do, for a civil debt, forget the bankrupt.

there is no need

dx100uk.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Quick update folks,

I sent a reply back to Barclayshark saying I did not accept the excuse that the excessive calls were because of an automated system. Told them harrasment is harrassment automated or otherwise. Also give them an ear full about the ' I will be calling on you cards' quoted

2.12a ‘Not making the purpose of any proposed visit clear, for example, merely stating that collectors or field agents will call is not sufficient’

Also quoted

2.6f Pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large installments or to increase payments when they are unable to do so’

with regards to them asking for ridiculas repayment amounts knowing full well I am on benefets.

I said I would continue to make these token payment regardless of their acceptance and asked why a default notice had not been issued, as they stated once it is issued;

“It will then be possible to negotiate a repayment plan with either BARCLAYCARD or a debt collection agency”

I suspect their whole letter is just a pack of lies and excuses, so to end the letter off with a bang, I said

"I hope you will seriously consider this final request to accept these token payments and suspend any further interest and charges. The situation is now getting out of hand. Should you decline again I strongly suggest that you act on my invitation and sue me for the debt".

As I beleive that once judgement is granted interest and charges will be frozen anyway. Don't know weither I did right or wrong here, but I was getting fed up with their attitude. Lets see what happens.

Your thoughts or comments are always appreciated.

Alf

benefits are paid by the goverment to allow you to exist not to fund

banks greed.

Every member of this site should try to recruit inform at least two new people a week.

approx 130000 members not many when you consider that credit card companies turn down 15000 applications per day.

• 2 months later...

Just to up date everyone on this case. I have heard nothing from Barclayshark or Mercers since May 07.

Sent letters asking then to sue me, then can explain to the judge why thay will not accept my token payment offer, also when they told me they culd not susspend fees and charges with out issing a default notice, I told them isue you then and stop wasting time. But like I said this was back in May 07, send the letters recorded delivery, but they never sign for them so no POD.

Got fed up of the fees and charges being added each month, debt is near £1000 more than it was, so wrote to them last friday at the regional office in Manchester. Told then I was disgusted with there lack of concern or communication and to stop the insterest and fees and refund the charges since I first informed them of the financial problems in January07. Ask them to answer within 10 working days or would stop token payments and file for bankcruptcy.

This morning the house phone and my mobile have been bombarded with calls, texts and voice messages from RMA? Who is this does, anyone know? If Barclayshark have passed this debt on to someone else should they not of informed me?

I have not answered any of there calls and am not going to because have no idea who they are or what they want. An urgent matter is all they say.

But I presume they have some connection with Barclayshark, as they only stared ringing after I sent my last letter to them. So I don't know if I should continue with the token payments to Barclaycard as they may not even own the debt now. This total lack of communication from them is a complete pain in the butt.

Any advice on where to go from here grately appreciated.

Cheers

Alf

stick by the payment

i would resend the letter in post 12

also start the process of reclaiming all your charges.

dx100uk

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the advice. But what good is sending the letter in post 12 going to do? I have sent it them once, they never answered that letter or any others I have sent, don't even sign for the recorded delivery, so another waste of money as still no proof of delivery.

Been on to royal mail about it, they say they don't have to sign for each individual letter as they receive hundreds a day, so one signiture covers all their days mail. Which is no use to me as proof.

Also who is the RMA, are they something to do with Barclayshark or not. If they are an outside DCA, shouldn't Barclayshark have informed me they have passed the debt over to a third party?

If Barclayshark does not own the debt anymore what is the point in paying money to them. As the new DCA if that what RCA is, will want payment as well.

Alf

if your cheque was in the same envelope as your letter and the cheque was cashed well they must have received your letter.

Bad move to send cheques. Cheques have your bank details and your signature (which can be copied and pasted any where)

Are the two signatures on your document exactly the same? If they are then a cut and paste operation must have taken place as it is impossible for anyone to produce exactly the same signature -your signatures will all be different even if you do them thousands of times.

If they are different you will need to show that you have not written them and a hand writing expert will nearly always be able to give a definte opinion. My own view is that if you are certain that the signature is not yours it is a matter for the police who will be able to call on the necessary expertise.

I do not understand the last reply, are the signitures the same on what documant?

Anyway, received a letter this morning, Formal Demand from NCO Europe LTD, trading as RMA (risk management alternatives) in Preston, say they have been informed by Barclayshark that I have not complied with the default notice they sent me. They have never sent me one. Even said in a letter that fees and interest could not be frozen until one had been issued.

This RMA says it wants the full ammount payable immediately. Statements will no longer be sent and that interest will still incurred at 1% per month.

Then the usual telephone us now on an 09707 number.

If you do not pay in full or contact us to make an agreement within 7 days your account will be refered to a Debt Collector who will call upon you for the full payment or a CCJ may be registered against you.. So what is this company if they are not debt collectors?

I will ask again something I asked previously. Doesn't Barclayshark have a legal obligation to inform me if they have pass the debt onto a third party?

So is this Barclayshark trying it on again like they did with MERCERS or a real outside DCA? Should I contact them? By letter of course? Or just send them a CCA? and wait and see. There is still no reply from Barclayshark themselves about anything I have asked them. I have just come to a dead end trying to deal with BC direct.

Please give as much advice as poss folks as do not want these T**sers turning up on the doorstep. Should I continue to make the token payments each month to BC or stop them?

Many thanks

Alf

Fell free to CCA RMA/NCO, they will ignore you, but that doesn't really matter.

Once they pass the 12+month and demand payment then get Trading Standards involved.

Might also be worth getting touch with BT about "choose to refuse" service as RMA/NCO will inundate you with calls.

I had/have a B'card with RMA/NCO and I ended up changing my number due to the sheer volume of calls, 5 a day !!

TS are now dealing with this for me, but even they are being ignored !

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Hi,

Another 2 letters this morning one from Alliance One. Exactly the same as the one from RMA yesterday, word for word, but no signiture or name on the letter and the payment should be made payable to Barclaycard. the second from RMA again "we have a proposal for you" that all it says.

So what it the course action, as I believe it is against the law for BC/MERCERS not to inform me they have passed the debt to someone else.

Also should I stop the token payment I make monthly direct to BC or not?

Thanks

Incidently this Alliance One isn't even a UK register company. They are US based. So I don't see how they can enforce anything in the UK. They also ask you to ring and full the full balance amount by credit or debit card.

If you dont within 7 days a debt collecter WILL call upon you for repayment.

I don't think so.:-D

• 4 weeks later...

Received a letter today after months of complaining to B/Card about lack of information regarding the account/s, telephone harrassment, no default notice, no statements and no reply to token payment offer.

They say

"I can confirm that these account have been passed on. Barlaycard are no longer in possession of these accounts and you should contact AllianceOne and Risk Management Alternatives direct in order to come to some arragement regarding repayments"

No reference to any other part of the complaint.

So does this mean they have SOLD the debt on, or just assigned a third party collection agent as their in house wallies Mercers were a waste of space. Am I not obliged to receive some sort of formal notice of assigment?

Also how do I find out were the payments I have been making direct to B/card have been going for the last 6 months?

Surely they should of informed me months ago that these accounts had been dumped on someone else and cannot accept money for an account they no longer have in their possession?

Received a letter today after months of complaining to B/Card about lack of information regarding the account/s, telephone harrassment, no default notice, no statements and no reply to token payment offer.

They say

"I can confirm that these account have been passed on. Barlaycard are no longer in possession of these accounts and you should contact AllianceOne and Risk Management Alternatives direct in order to come to some arragement regarding repayments"

No reference to any other part of the complaint.

So does this mean they have SOLD the debt on, or just assigned a third party collection agent as their in house wallies Mercers were a waste of space. Am I not obliged to receive some sort of formal notice of assigment?

Also how do I find out were the payments I have been making direct to B/card have been going for the last 6 months?

Surely they should of informed me months ago that these accounts had been dumped on someone else and cannot accept money for an account they no longer have in their possession?

Hi,

It's difficult to say from their reply. They should have told you if they have sold the accounts.

I imagine you will be contacted soon enough from this new lot!

When they do, you can CCA them!

Jeff.

Hi,

It's difficult to say from their reply. They should have told you if they have sold the accounts.

I imagine you will be contacted soon enough from this new lot!

When they do, you can CCA them!

Jeff.

These other clowns have been on my case for months with no confirmation from B/Card about passing or selling the debt on until today.

Both been CCA'ed, Still waiting to hear back.

So I think B/Card have had their last token payment out of me.

These other clowns have been on my case for months with no confirmation from B/Card about passing or selling the debt on until today.

Both been CCA'ed, Still waiting to hear back.

So I think B/Card have had their last token payment out of me.

Hi alf,

In that case, just sit back until they default and commit an offence, then report them to all concerned!

You can then also write to them all pointing out their misgivings!

Regards, Jeff.

• 11 months later...

Hi

I'm new to this forum, got a few depts with credit cards.

One of the companies are Barclaycard, which has sent my dept to mercers (Barclaycard) who inturn have past it onto Power2Contact.

I had a doorstep call from Power2Contact today demanding money well i say he was demanding money. I just told him to leave and showed him my two dogs he soon left lol. Trouble is i'm on Benefits and also a full time carer looking after my Father and certainly can't pay what there asking for.

Gary

firstly i would be inclined to start your own thread, that way you will get alot more info specific to your plight rather than tailending a thread started 2 yrs ago. do one for each card/debt if necessary.

you will need to find out things like how old is the debt, when was your last payment. etc

then people will be able to guide you correctly.

though obviously, if you are getting things like carers allowance etc etc, it will make case easier to deal with.

as it seems this BC debt has been passed around abit, i bet no-one has got the paperwork anyhow to chase you. so looks good there!

i'll watch for your new threads

oh and do some reading, the more you read the stronger you become.

dx

and they