• Tweets

• I understand confusion with this thread.  I tried to keep threads separate because there have been so many angles.    But a team member merged them all.  This is why it's hard to keep track. This forum exists to help little people fight injustice - however big or small.  Im here to try get a decent resolution. Not to give in to the ' big boys'. My "matter' became complicated 'matters' simply because a lender refused to sell a property. What can I say?  I'll try in a nutshell to give an overview: There's a long lease property. I originally bought it short lease with a s.146 on it from original freeholder.  I had no concerns. So lender should have been able to sell a well-maintained lovely long lease property.  The property was great. The issue is not the property.  Economy, sdlt increases, elections, brexit, covid, interest hikes etc didn't help.  The issue is simple - the lender wanted to keep it.    Before repo I offered to clear my loan.  I was a bit short and lender refused.  They said (recorded) they thought the property was worth much more and they were happy to keep accruing interest (in their benefit) until it reached a point where they felt they could repo and still easily quickly sell to get their £s back.  This was a mistake.  The market was (and is) tough.   2y later the lender ceo bid the same sum to buy the property for himself. He'd rejected higher offers in the intervening period whilst accruing interest. I had the property under offer to a fantastic niche buyer but lender rushed to repo and buyer got spooked and walked.  It had taken a long time to find such a lucrative buyer.  A sale which would have resulted in £s and another asset for me. Post repo lender had 1 offer immediately.  But dragged out the process for >1y - allegedly trying to get other offers. But disclosure shows there was only one valid buyer. Lender appointed receiver (after 4 months) - simply to try acquire the freehold.  He used his powers as receiver to use me, as leaseholder, to serve notice on freeholders.  Legally that failed. Meanwhile lender failed to secure property - and squatters got in (3 times).  And they failed to maintain it.  So freeholders served a dilapidations notice (external) - on me as leaseholder (cc-ed to lender).   (That's how it works legally) I don't own the freehold.  But I am a trustee and have to do right by the freeholders.  This is where matters got/ get complicated.  And probably lose most caggers.   Lawyers got involved for the freeholders to firstly void the receiver enfranchisement notice. Secondly, to serve the dilapidations notice.  The lack of maintenance was in breach of lease and had to be served to protect fh asset. The lender did no repairs. They said a buyer would undertake them. Which was probably correct. If they had sold. After 1y lender finally agreed to sell to the 1st offeror and contracts went with lawyers.  Within 1 month lender reneged.  Lender tried to suggest buyer walked. Evidence shows he/ his lawyers continued trying to exchange (cash) for 4 months.  Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been to renege and for ceo to take control.   I still think that's their plan. Lender then stupidly chose to pretty much bulldoze the property.  Other stuff was going on in the background. After repo I was in touch by phone and email and lender knew post got to me.   Despite this, after about 10 months (before and then during covid), they deliberately sent SDs and eventually a B petition to an incorrect address and an obscure small court.  They never served me properly.  (In hindsight I understand they hoped to get a backdoor B - so they could keep the property that way.)  Eventually the random court told them to email me by way of service.  At this point their ruse to make me B failed.  I got a lawyer (friend paid). The B petition was struck out. They’d failed to include the property as an asset. They were in breach of insolvency rules. Simultaneously the receiver again appointed lawyers to act on my behalf as leaseholder. This time to serve notice on the freeholders for a lease extension.  He had hoped to try and vary the strict lease. Evidence shows the already long length of lease wasn't an issue.  The lender obviously hoped to get round their lack of permission to do works (which they were already doing) by hoping to remove the strict clauses that prevent leaseholder doing alterations.   The extension created a new legal angle for me to deal with.  I had to act as trustee for freeholders against me as leaseholder/ the receiver.  Inconsistencies and incompetence by receiver lawyers dragged this out 3y.  It still isn't properly resolved.  Meanwhile - going back to the the works the lender undertook. The works were consciously in breach of lease.  The lender hadn't remedied the breaches listed in the dilapidations notice.  They destroyed the property.  The trustees compiled all evidence.  The freeholders lawyers then served a forfeiture notice. This notice started a different legal battle. I was acting for the freeholders against what the lender had done on my behalf as leaseholder.  This legal battle took 3y to resolve. The simple exit would have been for lender to sell. A simple agreement to remedy the breaches and recompense the freeholders in compensation - and there's have been clean title to sell.  That option was proposed to them.   This happened by way of mediation for all parties 2y ago.  A resolution option was put forward and in principle agreed.  But immediately after the lender lawyers failed to engage.  A hard lesson to learn - mediation cannot be referred to in court. It's considered w/o prejudice. The steps they took have made no difference to their ability to sell the property.  Almost 3y since they finished works they still haven't sold. ** ** I followed up some leads myself.  A qualified cash buyer offered me a substantial sum.  The lender and receiver both refused it.   I found another offer in disclosure.  6 months later someone had apparently offered a substantial sum via an agent.  The receiver again rejected it.  The problem of course was that the agent had inflated the market price to get the business. But no-one was or is ever going to offer their list price.  Yet the receiver wanted/wants to hold out for the list price.  Which means 1y later not only has it not sold - disclosure shows few viewings and zero interest.  It's transparently over-priced.  And tarnished. For those asking why I don't give up - I couldn't/ can't.  Firstly I have fiduciary duties as a trustee. Secondly, legal advice indicates I (as leaseholder) could succeed with a large compensation claim v the lender.  Also - I started a claim v my old lawyer and the firm immediately reimbursed some £s. That was encouraging.  And a sign to continue.  So I'm going for compensation.  I had finance in place (via friend) to do a deal and take the property back off the lender - and that lawyer messed up bad.   He should have done a deal.  Instead further years have been wasted.   Maybe I only get back my lost savings - but that will be a result.   If I can add some kind of complaint/ claim v the receiver's conscious impropriety I will do so.   I have been left with nothing - so fighting for something is worth it. The lender wants to talk re a form of settlement.  Similar to my proposal 2y ago.  I have a pretty clear idea of what that means to me.  This is exactly why I do not give up.  And why I continue to ask for snippets of advice/ pointers on cag.  
    • It was all my own work based on my previous emails to P2G which Bank has seen.
    • I was referring to #415 where you wrote "I was forced to try to sell - and couldn't." . And nearer the start in #79 .. "I couldn't sell.  I had an incredibly valuable asset. Huge equity.  But the interest accrued / the property market suffered and I couldn't find a buyer even at a level just to clear the debt." In #194 you said you'd tried to sell for four years.  The reason for these points is that a lot of the claims against for example your surveyor, solicitor, broker, the lender and now the receiver are mainly founded in a belief that they should have been able to do something but did not. Things that might seem self evident to you but not necessarily to others. Pressing these claims may well need a bit more hard evidence, rather than an appeal to common sense. Can you show evidence of similar properties, with similar freehold issues, selling readily? And solid reasons why the lender should have been able to sell when you couldn't.
    • You can use a family's address.   The only caveat is for the final hearing you'd need to be there in person   HOWEVER i'd expect them to pay if its only £200 because costs of attending will be higher than that
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCA's and Dave against the world !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

sounds like a g8 idea to me .... will inspection take place at hearing prior to trial because that must be your objective so you can prepare your defence.

If you have no PS you should be on good ground anyway ....im not sure about my agreement and its not easy to get a good copy on here for you all to read.

I want to see the original before i go to court, or at least go down the route you are or, ask them if they intend to use "hearsay"

RBS/Triton - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Moorcroft - Gone way No CCA

RBS/AIC - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Intrum - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Cahoot/Link - CCA in Dispute

Capital One - Settled

Lloyds Bank - Awaiting Outcome from Supreme Court Hearing.

Lloyds Credit Credit - Repayment Plan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case inspection of the originals is by arrangement between the Clamant and Defendant and is not dependent upon the court. It should have taken place before witness statements but obviously there are no originals to inspect??

I would appreciate any input whether 16.7.3 can be used equally by a Claimant or a Defendant as the Practice Direction states "attached to or served with the particulars of claim"

Just a point but what's the DPA got to do with NOT having true copies. If that's what they are claiming it's complete rollocks If the account is active ie unpaid then they should have the documents.

Lets face it only an idiot disposes of the proof BEFORE a matte/account is settled. Don't let them get away with that rubbish about the DPA if that's what they intend to plead in court

I agree its rubbish and also dont understand why they couldnt find the agreement they now have when I issued them with a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)!!!

this is letter re no agreement (notice they use word application).

noccaletter51107.png

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

I maybe in a similar situation. In my the judge has ordered Standard Disclosure followed by inspection of originals.

I think I'm in the similar situation too - though no inspection has been ordered...

The opposition have stated that they only have a photocopy of the documents as the originals destroyed. The documents concerned are a signed application form with no prescribed terms and a current set of terms and conditions (unsigned).

Ditto

I was thinking about serving Notice to prove documents at trial under CPR 32.19

"Notice to admit or produce documents

32.19 (1) A party shall be deemed to admit the authenticity of a document disclosed to him under Part 31 (disclosure and inspection of documents) unless he serves notice that he wishes the document to be proved at trial.

(2) A notice to prove a document must be served –

(a) by the latest date for serving witness statements; or

(b) within 7 days of disclosure of the document, whichever is later."

Oooh, that's very interesting - just how do you go about doing that notice?

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

you def want to have proof before trial

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

I got a letter from our Humpty Dumpty friends today telling me they did not have the original of the agreement as "the FSA did not require them to." What's that got to do with anything? And where in the FSA regs does it say that anyway?

They say scanning documents makes for easier access. Well whoopy do, that might be true be they could keep the originals archived away couldn't they. Quite a snotty letter really. They offered me 16 quid back in charges if I accepted by the 11th or the offer would be withdrawn. And despite sending a detailed SAR letter using a template from this site, they said they thought I only wanted the agreement and statements as this is "what most customers want."

I agree its rubbish and also dont understand why they couldnt find the agreement they now have when I issued them with a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)!!!

this is letter re no agreement (notice they use word application).

noccaletter51107.png

lol you will love these i got.

Whilst I appreciate your situation we can enforce repayment of this debt under Criminal Justification as spending on the account you have automatically agreed to the terms and conditions of the account and therefore remain liable for the above balance and can be continually pursued as such by our recovery Agents Blair Oliver Scott.

i do like par 3 of this letter

I refer to your letter received 1st may 2007 and please accept my apology that you still remain dissatisfied with our service.

I understand that you remain unhappy, as we have not yet provide you with a copy of your original application form to which you believe that you have paid a fee of £1 for and feel that we have acted unfairly by not issuing you with this document.

As advised in my last letter, as you have used the facilities of the account which have amounted to the outstanding balance under the new terms of the Consumer Credit Act section S15 we do not hold any obligation to issue you with a copy of said agreement as the legal timescale for such documents to be held is within the last 6 years period, in this case our records are held from 3rd May 2001 until the present day.

I can confirm that I have again requested for a copy of your original application form to be found however as your accounts opening date was the 23rd November 1998 we are not legally obliged to retain said information therefore I have arranged for a credit for £1 to be paid into your Halifax Current Account ********** which will reimburse you for the paid cost which should be credited in the next 7 days.

At all times Halifax Plc aims to provide the highest possible standards to customers and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations. It is only by letting us know your concerns that can ultimately improve our service.

I sincerely hope your concerns have now been resolved to your satisfaction although should you remain unhappy we will escalate your concerns accordingly with a few to granting ombudsman referral rights.

then this

Your case has been referred to me in my role as a Customer Relations Manager with full authority to respond to customer concerns.

Can I firstly apologise for the delay in responding to your complaint. My understanding of your complaint is that you are unhappy that you have not been provide with a copy of your Credit Card Agreement. As such, you have advised that you feel that the debt is unenforceable under section 78 of the Credit Consumer Act 1974.

I am sorry that we were unable to provide you with a copy of your Credit Card Agreement. From our systems I note that you were made aware of this, in writing, by Halifax in January 2007.

I would like to confirm that the outstanding dept of £****** was written off by Halifax in March 2007. I fell that it is important to advise you that although the decision was made to write off the outstanding debt, this is not n admission of liability on the part of Halifax and should not viewed as such. The decision to write off the outstanding debt was a business decision based upon commercial viability.

Although the outstanding debt has been written off, Halifax are not disputing that you had the debt. As advised, the decision was based upon commercial viability and does not negate your responsibility towards the debt. As such, I regret to inform you that I am unable to alter the information held on your Credit File. Your Credit File will continue to show a default in regards to this account as it is a genuine reflection of the conduct of your accounts. You are also not entitled to a refund of any monies paid to lower the outstanding debt.

I appreciate that this will not be the answer that you were hoping for, however, I trust that this clarifies the Bank’s final position.

To comply with legislation, I would like to let you know that if you remain unhappy you can refer your concerns to the Financial Ombudsman Service

nottice the 2nd letter was sent in may but they wrote the debt of in march in their last letter ermmmmmmmmm

Those of you who are being advised that original documents for whatever reason do not have to be kept for longer than 6 years might want to have a look at this thread.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/93884-wescot-rbofs-oh-dear-2.html#post935411

(post 32 if the link doesnt take you directly)

Rory42 was advised by Westcot (sp) that they didnt have original documents and in any case werent expected to keep them for longer than 6 years. Rory's reply is priceless and I believe won the day. :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They really do talk rubbish.

The DPA requires that they remove any adverse public data after 6 years as any unsecured debt is no longer enforceable because of limitation

It does NOT say they have to destroy data/agreements they hold for legitimate reasons after 6 years otherwise why are many of the banks producing statements they have held for many years longer than 6 years. In once case we know a particular bank has records going back to 1923!

As is so often the case with the DPA & the ICO weakness in policing it these companies are trying to use it to their advantage as they no full well that their desire to cut costs whilst totally ignoring their legal obligation has now come back to bite them

well said JC.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

not the right web addy.

Her Majesty's Courts Service - Home

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Quote:

Whilst I appreciate your situation we can enforce repayment of this debt under Criminal Justification as spending on the account you have automatically agreed to the terms and conditions of the account and therefore remain liable for the above balance and can be continually pursued as such by our recovery Agents Blair Oliver Scott.

Exactly what, do they mean by this please ? It is my understanding that if they are unable to produce a signed document then they have given you a gift.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

As ever more Bovine Excrement.

Consumer borrowing of this kind is regulated by CCA, as we all know.

Unless there was PROVEN fraudulent activity, like ID theft, this wont happen.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Thanks CurlyBen :D

BCOBS

Exactly what, do they mean by this please ? It is my understanding that if they are unable to produce a signed document then they have given you a gift.

They are in breach of OFT Debt Collection Guidance by even mentioning the word "Criminal", IMHO;

e. falsely implying or stating that failure to pay a debt is a criminal offence or that criminal proceedings will be brought

For a creditor or their agents to imply criminal sanctions against a debtor for non-payment is not only reprehensible but also illegal & would be a cause for action under the Fraud Act 2006.

but what can you expect from such people the law is meaningless to them

• 3 weeks later...
Dave, any update on the Barclays situation???

Just got back from my hols........tonight

nothing apart from them wanting to write the whole thing off

Am going to start giving them mega Sh*t ASAP

What does worry me though is UNI's decision, but I would expect to take this to appeal anyway.

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Just got back from my hols........tonight

nothing apart from them wanting to write the whole thing off

Am going to start giving them mega Sh*t ASAP

What does worry me though is UNI's decision, but I would expect to take this to appeal anyway.

Dave

yes , it was a bit of a shocker, but with a copy of Goode Consumer Credit Law and Practice on the table in front of you, i doubt that you would have the same result

Un1boys result was purely due to the judges ignorance of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 thats for sure

maybe this would have helped uniboy for the late disclosure of documents and may still help

patrickq1

Judge Wrong to Refuse to Vacate Trial where Party Awaiting Disclosure

Gilbart v. Thomas Graham, CA, 24/6/08

The Court of Appeal held that, having regard to the overriding objective, the judge had been incorrect to refuse to grant a defendant’s application to vacate a trial. The Appellant had realised that specific discovery of certain documents had not occurred and applied to the court on the basis that the Respondent had not given up the documents that were pertinent and required. The judge had held that the parties could comply with the discovery requests before the commencement of the trial. The appeal court disagreed, noting that there was a substantial sum of money at stake and that the Appellant would need to instruct an expert following receipt of the disclosure.

• Haha 1