Dispute with conveyancing solicitors bill

mrjon

Request for advice

I was buying a property and the sale was aborted after 18 months, I received a final bill from my conveyancing solicitor for 90% of the original fixed price quoted, I made a complaint about the bill, I was expecting the bill to be 25% of the fixed price as the sale was aborted, as per the terms and conditions that I signed, I also complained that the solicitor had not acted in my best interests by not getting information from the vendor's solicitor that I requested and I relied upon this information, which caused me a financial loss.

I proposed in my complaint that the bill should be regarded as settled with no outstanding balance, I heard nothing back immediately from my complaint and I assumed they accepted my complaint and the matter was closed.

After 8 months I received an email response to my complaint making demands for full payment, I exchanged a few emails with the solicitor, but he was quite aggressive with me I proposed alternative debt resolution or mediation to resolve the matter, and the response was I had 3 days to pay in full or enforcement action would commence, my response was you have not complied with pre-court action protocol and refused alternative dispute resolution and that is not the proper way to behave or deal with a complaint, I was ignored.

At that time I was living with my son and he was in Thailand I planned to visit him, as the solicitor had stated that enforcement would commence in 3 days, I forwarded an address for service where my son was staying in Thailand otherwise I would not receive any court paperwork as I would be abroad, the solicitor did not respond to that.

This happened a year ago I am back from holiday and I have not heard anything at all about this again, can I assume the matter is over or did the solicitor attempt to serve me out of the jurisdiction? the bill was £850, I am worried he may try to rack up the costs of service etc and try to push up the claim to £5000 to make it a bankruptcy matter, he was so aggressive I find it difficult to believe he has just dropped it, I suffer from an anxiety disorder, and could do with some clear-headed advice on this.  Thanking all the helpful people on this forum.

Do you have a copy of the terms and conditions you signed?

Do you have a breakdown of the costs they're demanding?

Do you have copies of the original correspondence when you queried the balance?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Have you checked the CCJ Trust to see if you have a default judgment ?

https://www.trustonline.org.uk/

If no judgment then no costs forget it.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I do have a copy of the terms and conditions which state before the point of ready-to-exchange contracts abortive costs are 25% of the full bill, and if at the point of ready-to-exchange contracts then 90% of the full bill is aborted,  my argument is that the other party were never in a position to exchange contracts, simply one side in a position to exchange is not enough, as the exchange cannot happen without 2 parties in agreement.

I have the credit Karma App, which would alert me if CCJ, but if I was served abroad I am not sure it would show up as possible CCJ is address-dependent.

Thanks for trustonline link, I contacted them and explained I was abroad and could a CCJ be checked, they said I could search the overseas address and it would show, but it would not show on my credit file.