Robinson, Way and Company / Powergen

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bit of a long story, but in june 2006 I moved house, had been at my previous address for 7yrs, paying for my electricity by credit meter. Last month I had a letter from Powergen regarding the supply at my old address, claiming I owed them £619 for elec, spoke to them and explaimed I had credit meter at that address and they claimed it was for price rises that hadn't been applied to my account over the 7yrs. The conversation ended with them promising to review the amount and see what they could do. I didn't hear anything, and didn't chase it up and this morning receive a letter from Robinson way & co demanding the £619. What do I do? As far as I'm concerned, and like I told Powergen, I'm not liable for the charges as I could not change the price I paid for elec myself, its not like I could open the meter and change the price charged, thats a job for their staff and they haven't bothered (meter was outside on wall so cant claim they couldn't get access) I don't recall receiving any correspondance from Powergen about the matter and to be chasing me for it nearly 9 months after I moved is a joke.

What do I say to RWC?

If this was me, I would write to Robinson Way and advise the debt is in dispute and would they put the account on hold.

Next I would contact Powergen and ask them what they think they are playing at.

Let me know how you get on.

Completed:

Woolwich: Received £30

Intelligent Finance: Received £1100 after two years and approximately 20 letters, 6 pieces of hair and an eyeball.

Barclaycard: Received £90

HFC: Received £170

i had the same problem with british gas and wescot.

phoned british gas who said that they would amend the bill so that their was nothing outstanding. i've found that the customer service team dont like doing this but if u request a manager on the phone they will do this for you.

i also got in touch with the dca who put the account on hold while they investegated what i had discussed with british gas. havent heard anything from them since february so hopefully all sorted.

will chase it up in a little while to make sure its all clear and check that there is nothing on my credit file from them.

i suggest that this is what u also do. let me know how u get on also :)

• 2 weeks later...

I moved house 9mths ago, for the 7yrs I'd lived in previous property I'd been using a pre-pay meter, fitted by previous owners. I had a bill for for £619, rang Powergen and asked why? Was told it was for increases in charges that hadn't been applied to my meter, explained that it not really my fault or problem, that I had no way of applying said charges to my meter, they were the supplier and any changes would have needed to be made by them. They said they'd look into it, then on Saturday I got a letter from Robinson Way & Co demanding £619 or go to court. I've rung them andtold them I'm in dispute with Powergen, but all they said was "tough, not their problem, pay up or else". What I want to know is, when I ring RWC again, how should I put it to them about the dispute and what can I quote for them to back off?

One other question, 5yrs ago I changed my name by deed poll, all the paperwork I have from Powergen and RWC is in the old name, is there any way I can use this to my advantage? I really don't want to give RWC my 'new' name for them to match to this address as I have previous dealings with them in this name for another matter which I believe they are trying to trace me for, but for which they only have my old address.

Ok lets try to get this sorted the simpliest way, at the property were they say you owe the money from was you on a prepay meter all the time and did you use token cards or a key or a powercard ? . What were the dates and did you get an actual bill/statement from them?

Best to deal with Powergen because if they remove the debt it is auto removed from Rob way. If you try to dispute with Rob way it will be an harder route as all they are interested in is collections.

Yes, I had the pre pay meter the whole time, went and bought cards to top it up with. I used to get statements every quarter saying how much I'd used etc but no mention of any amount owing. The only reason I stuck with the meter was convenience.

Just thought, if they were to suggest anything about meter readings and not being able to gain access, the meter was outside, didn't need access to house to be able to read meter.

Ok so you was on a token meter which meens it is probably due to estimated reads and also your meter not being calibrated correctly. They have no excuse for not resetting your meter to the correct prices after a price increase due to your meter being on the outside. Also the amount you say is outstanding is too great for recal. They can only go back to April 2005. Phone them and ask them what the balance was at this date and if it was based on an actual read.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment I'm having some problems with Powergen and a supposedly outstanding amount on a prepayment meter fitted to my previous address. Powergen are looking into the matter and have confirmed that the debt is in dispute. Robinson Way & Co refuse to accept this, each time they ring I inform them of the fact, and that Powergen agree to this, but no, they are adamant they can continue in pursuing me for the debt. The last phone call I had, which was today ended with them calling me a liar and hanging up on me. Incidentally, the chap who rang me made no effort to ascertain my identity, only asking for me by name then going into his speel. No mention of confirming my details so I could, for all he knows, have been anyone, and he has just discussed my debt with a complete stranger.

They rarely bother with issues like security, that aside, how can you have an outstanding amount on a prepayment meter :confused:

Wouldn't it be easier to inform Powergen of how they're behaving and get them to take it off them, they shouldn't be pursuing it in the first place if it's in dispute, and espesially if Powergen agree that there's a dispute!

Regards, Dave.

Hi Dave, Im having the same problem regarding a PRE payment meter by scottish power,we queried a bill they sent to my daughter as far as we are concered she doesnt owe it as anything was PRE paid for,yet they passed to a DCA who are not interested in anything she has to say,anyway i sent a strongly worded letter to them telling them to back off as the alleged debt is in dispute so hopefully this will keep them off her back until its sorted,i have my own thread on here with the details,anyway ill keep you posted as to how we get on and i will watch your thread with interest,kind regards col x

Powergen claim it is to do with them changing rates and not applying hem to the meter, well thats one story they've told me. First of all they claimed it was a debt from a previous customer and when told it wasn't my problem the story changed. As for them telling RWC to back off, they are refusing to do so.

I just spoke to RWC again on the phone, actually spoke to someone who was quite pleasant, noted down that I was disputing the amount and placed a hold on the account for 25 days. Made a change from the usual inbred clones I've spoken to so far who answer very question with a threat or a demand for payment. I actually think the person I spoke to was human!

Did they send you a letter informing you of change of rates whils't you were at the property ? why didn't they send someone around to alter your tariff ?.

liable means you are responsible, negliegence means they sent you a bill without first prevent it i.e. altering the tariff.

Right, today I received a revised bill from Powergen, down from £619 to £379. But, all the charges are grouped under different headings, eg, from feb 2003, from feb 2004 etc. Am I right in thinking I can't be chased for these, only the charges from 2005 onwards, which are £53. I did query with them on the phone that they couldn't charge me for any outstanding from over 2yrs and the chap I spoke to agreed.

hi, due to problems with powergen i've just been through all my bills and to my horror when i worked out the units used on the prepayment meter up to the final reading when it was taken out years ago (wouldn't accept card], then added up all the money i put into the meter, they actually owe me hundreds. at the time i thought the meter just used what you put in and when the money was used you'd used that amount of electricity. the next prepayment meter went mad and i had a dry meter put in. i now find that after about 9mnths trying to get my credit back they suddenly changed the final reading to fit the money put in so they didn't have to pay me back!! might be a good idea just to check the readings with money spent plus standing charge and see if they've fiddled you. Ozzie seems to have gone but energywatch should be able to help you with the 2yr thing. good luck.