robbersway for barclaycard, now sold to lowells

CG7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so this means that a ordinary member of the public would not need to do to much to get the same power as a bluechip company ?

CLICK HERE FOR A LOOK AT ALL OF MY FILES: http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/bailiffchaser/

do not forget to click on my scale if i am giving you the right advice or advice is making sense click my scales otherwise others think i am not helping you.

Hi

I have my own thread but was interested by someone on here who said that Lowell Portfolio 1 are not legal, or authorised. Have I read this right? I ask because I now have letters from a legal company saying that they were instructed by 'Lowell Portfolio 1' and wondered if anyone here could confirm about them?

Lowell Portfolio I and Lowell Portfolio II are definitely registered, i put a link on one of the other Lowell threads, but what they are doing is using Roman numerals for 1 and 2.

Don't know if this is allowed.

Hi

I have my own thread but was interested by someone on here who said that Lowell Portfolio 1 are not legal, or authorised. Have I read this right? I ask because I now have letters from a legal company saying that they were instructed by 'Lowell Portfolio 1' and wondered if anyone here could confirm about them?

Is it Hampton Legal?? If so, approach with caution (if at all), Hampton and Lowell are the same company.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Hi all,

If you look at the number on Portfolio 1, on a letter Head that i received from them its not a 1 (as in a number) or an I(as in a letter) its a small l (small L) have no idea whether this is relevant to what tifo said.

Dannyboy - you say approach with caution and then saying if at all, are you saying not to worry about it then. ??

Hi CG7,

Let me just say I'm not an expert on these matters and there are people here far better qualified to give you advice on how to deal with this, in your particular circumstances.

Lowells hassled me for a debt which wasn't mine at all, I ignored letters assuming they would realise their mistake (how naive!!) until 'Hampton Legal' letters started arriving, and they (Lowells I assume) rang my elderly mother digging for personal information. Absolutely astonishing. At that point I decided to have some fun and call them, and at the same time went to the OFT. Cut a long story short, it was a mistake by their tracing department but I did learn a few interesting things along the way, notably that Lowells and Hampton Legal are one and the same. I've despised anything 'Lowell' ever since. Their tracing methods must be very dubious, and their staff don't believe anything you tell them. That soon changed when I signed a third-party mandate in favour of OFT!!!

Hampton Legal letters are the last desperate attempts to get you to call and admit liabilty for a debt, and be forced into payments on their terms.

I wouldn't worry too much about the threats from the 'Litigation' department, but I say approach with caution in case the word 'Legal' makes you feel you have to cave in to their demands, and end up paying far more than you may be actually liable for.

If you follow the advice from the more experienced people here, they will guide you through the process and help you get this sorted.

I read these threads with interest because I like to see people standing up to Lowell Financial, and shudder to think how many people must get intimidated and ripped off, because they don't know their rights.

I wish you all the best.

Hi Dannyboy.......... What is a third party mandate for the OFT ??.

I read all these threads about people sending statute barred letters etc and the dca ignoring them, makes me wonder whether its worth sending them, if all they do is ignore you, I still feel at a loss as to what to do about it all.

cg7

Hi CG7,

I began to despair when they wouldn't believe anything I told them, so I went along to the local branch of OFT (Office of Fair Trading) with the letters from Lowell/Hamptons and copies of my credit record from Experian. OFT said they could act on my behalf with my permission and I had to sign a form which I believe they called "third party mandate" - basically giving them my permission to get involved in the matter.

The calls and letters soon stopped and I never heard from Lowell/Hamptons again. Several weeks later I got phone call and letter from OFT telling me there had been a mistake during the tracing process, and Lowell had been acting "in good faith(?) on information which was now known to be inaccurate and misleading, and which has since been deleted and/or destroyed".

Exactly what information they didn't say, and I will probably never know, but my experience with Lowell was a very unpleasant one which sparked my interest in DCA's and the way our personal data is treated. How many people are bullied into paying more than owe, or money they don't owe at all?????

Best wishes

PS if they are giving you a particularly hard time, try OFT or CAB they seem to enjoy getting stuck into these things.

Eeerrrmmm....DJweeble I think you'll find that it is CG7s thread....

My post was originally in another thread about DCA's in general that a lot of info here has been merged from, and not this one.

I think a MOD mistakenly moved it in here with the others from that thread :D

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Hiya, they seem to have altered this forum, and moved my thread into here,????????? anybody know why !! doesn't seem to be the same amount of people on here with it being seperate from the balliffs and general debt forum. cg7

Hi,

its definately Lowell Portfolio l Ltd. and it just says original creditor Barclaycard, no mention of Robinson Way who i paid the payments to for a few years all. it just says

on your account was sold to Lowell Portfolio l Ltd

and if you look at the 1 or l or I which is it.

I think I am going mad.............

Lowell buy debt direct from the original creditor, the previous company will have been working of commision and forwarding payments back to barclaycard

I have a problem with lowell at the moment. They have written to me about several debts (that were into their sixth year so very sneaky) demanding immediate payment.

They have refused all my offers of payment plans even though I have sent them my own income and expenditure form to justify the amounts I offer. They write to me every couple of days too.

I have written to them saying that I will not be contacting them by phone and I wish all correspondence to be done by mail so I can keep copies and all I ever get in reply to these letters is standard letters demanding money and giving me just 7 days to pay in full.

What really gets me is 2 years ago I wanted to pay one of these debts in full (from HSBC) except HSBC could not tell me who the debt was with so I could pay it and they would not accept payment. After 6 months of letters and meetings with them I just thought well blow you then and spent the money on other things. Now this has all surfaced again and I am really angry!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

received a letter in November about a very old debt, circa 1994, (regarding a barclaycard) from Lowell financial for 2 debts amounting to 300 pounds in total.

I have had different advice from people,

in the end I chose to ignore the letters in the hope that they would get fed up and they did for a month or so,

now they have sent me a FINAL NOTICE this morning threatening judgement, court, a charge on my property,

(don't think my landlord would agree) baliffs, attachment of earnings direct from my bank (they would have a job) and deducting payment directly from my employers

( I am on incapacity benefit) ALSO saying that there representative had been unable to contact me

(which is an outright Big lie, because other than someone trying to sell me fish on fridays,

haven't had anyone at my door, no notes pushed through my letter box.

I will be honest with you all, the last payment i made was around 5 and a half yrs ago, and have heard absolutely nothing from them in all that time, and that is the truth, so I thought that by trying to get to six yrs i might get away with it, i have very little money, (because of my disability) I am divorced, no partner, so no other money)

Is it more hot air from them, or will they try to take me to court as they also said they will ask the court to examine my financial means.

WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO.

cg7

A lot of DCAs do seem to push harder for debts which are almost statute barred for obvious reasons - if they can get you to acknowledge then, they can re-start the clock.

Would it be possible to give us a bit more detail as to the wording of the letter because it sounds very much like an attempt to make you think that a CCJ has already been made which is a situation very similar to this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/55178-letter-capquest.html

Hi all

this is the exact letter i received from LOWELL this morning.and I dont think there was a judgement, barclaycard put it into the hands of Robinson Way and then november last year 2006 sold it on to LOWELL FINANCIAL. Here it is :-

Dear Mrs.......

FINAL NOTICE

Our agent has failed to make contact with you and as a legal requirement we must now inform you that 7 days from the date of this letter we intend to instruct our legal department to review your account.

This may involve applying for a county court judgement to be registered against you. if successful, dependent on your circumstances we will enforce the judgement by one or more of the following steps.

1. Instructing a baliff or sheriff to remove goods from your premises

2. Obtain a charge against your property

3. Deduct payments directly from your salary through your employers

4. Obtain payments directly from your bank account

5. Request your attendance at court for examination of your financial

means

As a FINAL attempt to resove this matter, in order to avoid the possible need to take LEGAL ACTION you MUST contact us NOW.

YS

Nigel Beaven

Gizmo111,

Hi yes according to the bank the last cheque I sent to Robinson Way who were acting for Barclaycard, was in November 2001, they think, because they didn't have a name just the amount next to the transaction. if that makes sense to you.:(

I really need to know which way to go about dealing with this.

You still have quite a while before this is statute barred you could send a CCA request with £1 and see if they can produce the agreemetn.

Alternatively if you are able make them an offer in full and final settlement - I would start wiht £100.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.