Update to a Will as all old addresses are out of date *** Resolved Codicil not required***

What is the best way to proceed please?

My home address stated in my last will and testament is now out of date.

It is not referred to in a numbered paragraph, merely as " This is the last will and testament of me tedney, 123 Anyplace, Anytown, AA11 1AA. Whereby........'

In paragraph 2, the home address of one of the executors and Trustees is also now out of date.

I have been quoted nearly £200 by a solicitor to make out a codicil. This seems a very high sum!

Can I just file, with the will (which is in my possession), a type written note showing the 2 new addresses?

No names or terms of the will will be changed.

Will that be acceptable?

Thanks

t

I agree that if none of the terms of the will have changed and it's just addresses then it may not be a codicil that you need and a letter will do.

I was executor for two wills that had an out of date address for me and it wasn't a problem. Also, both people had passed away having moved to a new address that wasn't in their wills some months or years before that.

Wait to see what other people think though, please.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

My understanding is that you don't need to change the Will because anyone named in it has moved house. That's because the address of executors, witnesses and beneficiaries isn't a term of the Will as such it's just a means of identifying them. So if a question arose as to the identity of one of those people they might be called on to provide evidence that they lived at the address in the Will at the time the Will was signed.  When I've been Executor there were  out date of addresses but no-one seemed worried about it

However I'm not a lawyer and if I get a chance I'll have look online and see if I can find any professional site to support my belief.

I'm sure that my to site team colleagues above are correct.

Have you actually asked the solicitor whether a full-blown codicil was necessary – or did you simply go and enquire the price of one?

It would be interesting to ask the solicitor whether a codicil was necessary. If the solicitor says yes it is then frankly I would suspect that maybe they are trying to cash in

• dx100uk changed the title to Update to a Will as all old addresses are out of date

god no. 

i dont for one minute ever believe a solicitor would do that....😎

thread title updated

• Haha 2

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks everyone for your help. I did just ask how much a codicil would be. Following the comments here, I will get back to them and ask 'if a codicil is required for change of addresses" I will let you know of their response, although now I suspect that they might say yes!

Thanks

t

Edited by tedney

• AndyOrch changed the title to Update to a Will as all old addresses are out of date *** Resolved Codicil not required***

:yo: Many thanks tedney ...topic title updated.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread