Daughter's husband stole money claiming it was a gift from parents

To cut a very long and painful story short, my daughter recently left her husband after years of abusive behaviour. He immediately emptied their joint account in his own bank.

Two years ago, his parents gave them part of his inheritance as a gift to go towards a deposit on a house. Now they've taken it back and all three of them have signed a backdated letter to say it was just a loan.

Because he has taken all of the money and refused to update his new address with his employer, the CSA won't intervene and he's refusing to pay for any bills or child maintenance. 

He's also been telling lies about my daughter to her employer and the school which almost cost her her job and her children, and she now has very few friends because they all believe him. 

Realise the impotence of proofreading everything you write.

She needs money for daily living, but he's keeping everything. The letter is fraudulent, but she can't prove it. 

Sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well, we're all very upset about things. 

Does he have the right to empty their joint account that they both paid in to, and is it fraudulent to claim that a gift was a loan? 

I understand that you're all upset, I would be. Maybe we're looking at this from different angles.

So the story is that he left your daughter or she left him and isn't sending her any money? Does she need to claim benefits for herself and the children in order to live?

Of course he shouldn't have emptied the bank account but I'm not sure what she needs to do about that. Someone else here will.

As for the letter you think was forged, it was money given to him by his parents as an advance inheritance? If it was money given to him, are you saying your daughter thinks some of it belongs to her?

You may be in lawyer territory, but let's see what other people think.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

How much money only talking about here?

Weren't there any restrictions on the account which required two signatures in order to withdraw certain sums?

It was a joint bank account that they were both paying in to, no signature was needed to withdraw money.

It was thousands of pounds, and £10,000 was a gift from his parents which they have now claimed was a loan just to him, even though it was in the joint account.

He's also taken the car, which she needs to ferry the kids to and from school.

He never uses it as he works from home and doesn't go anywhere.

Unfortunately, she can't afford a solicitor and is not entitled to legal aid, she asked.

Have you got the loan letter? Do you have a copy of it?

How long have they had the joint account?

How long have they been together?

Tell us about the car. In whose name is it registered and what is it market value

He forwarded an image of the loan letter, I think. They've been together for 20 years and have had the account for a lot of that time. 

The car is registered in his name, but by law it's classed as joint marital property. Not sure what it's worth, but a good, few thousand, I would imagine. 

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed..JUST TYPE!!

I think we would like to see the loan letter. It may be a bit personal so please could you email it to us at our admin email address.

Also, please can you tell us something about their income status. Were they both working and were they both contributing to the account? Were there other accounts?

Also, how long ago did the parents leave the inheritance money to the couple and does the money which he took equal exactly that amount and if not can you tell us whether it was more or less than the inheritance money

I'm off out now, but I'll try and remember to redact the letter and upload it when I get back. 

They both contributed to the account, although my daughter took off two or three years to take care of their daughter when she was born. Other than that, she's always worked and saved. 

The money was loaned two years ago, and my understanding is that it's all they took back. 

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed..JUST TYPE!!

Still waiting for an answer to the question put by my site team colleague about other bank accounts and any income.
Still waiting also for a copy of the loan letter. You say that you will try to remember to redact it and unload it.
I think you need to know that we need to see this if you want help

well he must of spend 'some' of that £10k in 2 years. so cant take it all 'back out'?

you appear to be indicating that the account has been drained and is empty? how much was taken?

the car is registered in his name, re: 

6 hours ago, angeljs said:

but by law it's classed as joint marital property

not quite sadly.

how was the car financed?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Still waiting for answers to quite a number of questions here from various members of the site team.

Also, the big question will be whether your daughter is prepared to take a legal action for the recovery of the money.

From the sounds of it , she will have to do this if she stands any chance.

This also means that she will have to start becoming involved in this thread because it would be her who would have to begin the claim and go through the process.