University of Leeds (Hospital) ANPR PCN -

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

POFA Schedule 4 doesn't apply to parking on public roads.

However, you could vaguely mention that POFA has not been complied with and adherence to POFA is a requirement of their own Code of Practice, which must be complied with to enable them to obtain your details from DVLA.

As they haven't followed their own COP, it also amounts to breach of GDPR.

Double whammy.

Any other comments guys?

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

I'm thinking of what tone to use with them.

Normally we would give a PPC a torrent of abuse to show that we had sussed them as charlatans and were refusing to cooperate.

However, they have been (sort of) reasonable with the reduction.  Maybe best to continue the polite tone for now.

I would keep any reply short & sweet.  As they have already been told, the car was parked on a public road, not in their car park, and they have no right to issue their invoices for cars not parked on their property.  You have checked with the council that the road in question is a public road.  Even if the car had been parked on their property they have not followed the provisions of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 to transfer liability from the driver to the keeper, the person with advanced Alzheimer's.  Something along those lines.

When you get a minute please post up a new draft based on the various ideas from the regulars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Agreed lookingforinfo.

They’re asserting that the car was parked in their car park.

They’ve come to this conclusion because the ANPR isn’t directly outside the car park it’s positioned on the road leading to the car park, and it captured the car going in and out of that area on the road itself. 

I’m assuming they are defining the whole area as private land and in their ‘orange zone’ but  the main roads are public and any orange zone signs are placed beyond the ANPR cameras. 🤬

Yes tells them why they are wasting their time, excellent.

• Thanks 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I've had to hide your post with the docx file, but the content is quoted below.

All your personal details are present in docx files, making you easily identifiable.

3 hours ago, Chimichanga said:

Ok drafted a letter. Maybe its a bit too @r$ey? I can try be more polite if you think it's harsh. 😏

Thanks 🙂

Dear…

Thank you for your prompt reply and for offering to reduce the invoice amount from £80 to £20.

I am, however, a little confused.

Again from my understanding the car was not parked in the car park but on a public road, on double yellow lines displaying a disabled badge. This is in line with LA rules. It is also my understanding that only the council can issue fines for public roads. Leeds University do not have the right to issue an invoice for a car not parked on their land. I have checked with the council and they confirmed that the road where the vehicle was parked is council adopted and is therefore funded with public funds.

If the car had been parked on your property, in the car park as you allege, it seems that you have not followed the provisions of the Protections of Freedoms Act 2012 in order to transfer liability from the driver (from who you are requesting payment) to the keeper. I stated in my previous email that the Registered Keeper does not and cannot drive due to advanced Alzheimers and vascular dementia. So since we know the keeper was definitely not the driver they are under no obligation to pay this invoice. Due to the nature of their medical condition they are also unable to name one of many possible drivers and, incidentally, under no obligation do so even if they could.

Adherence to the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 is a requirement of your own code of practice and must be complied with in order to request details from the DVLA.

So again, in light of this information, I would politely request that you cancel the PCN, which I’m sure you can see has been issued in error.

Thank you.

Yours,
xxxxxxx

• Like 1

Oh 🤦🏽‍♀️. Thank you 😬

And todays reply which came minutes after the email was sent!

…The vehicle was captured entering and exiting at the times and date stated on the letter and therefore remained on University land – the point at which they entered/exited is where University land begins.

Once a Parking Charge Notice is issued we request the registered owner details from the DVLA. If the registered owner is not the driver of the vehicle at the time the PCN was issued they can transfer the liability to the driver as stated and provided on the letter. 

In your initial appeal you stated:

The driver of the vehicle was transporting a disabled badge holder to  their hospital appointment and in the absence of any actual disabled parking facilities by the Jubilee Wing sought parking elsewhere. The driver drove to the 'Orange Zone' car park and after reading the sign in the car park saw that they could not park there without an orange zone permit and so left the car park immediately. The driver then parked the car on double yellow lines on the road outside the car park and before all the signage for the orange zone but still within the ANPR monitored area”.

This leads me to believe you spoke to the driver of the vehicle at the time and they did remain on University land and therefore should have paid for their stay.

You also stated:

“Since the driver was not parked in the orange zone or in the car park they assumed usual double yellow lines parking applied for disabled badge holders and left the car parked there displaying the blue badge for the duration of the appointment in Jubilee Wing.

The University of Leeds is privately owned land so this reasoning does not apply. Orange Zone signage specifically states “Vehicles must be parked fully within the confines of a single marked parking bay. There is also a ‘Private Land’ sign at the entrance and refers drivers to check the signage. 

I would like to point out at this stage that although a mistake MAY have been made, the hospital was not deprived of any income for the car park as the car was parked outside of the car park itself”.

Given your statements it has been proven the T&C’s of parking on University land have been breached and therefore this PCN still stands.

If you wish to appeal the PCN then please find the relevant information in my previous email. We will not respond to any further correspondence regarding this PCN.

Pfft! Looks like I’ll be court bound with the poor registered keeper then. 

The original PCN states that the car was parked for 4 hours 04 minutes. Is there any explanation for how the driver says the car is in one place and the PPC say it was somewhere else please?

I'm just trying to see ways around their arguments, like the rest of the guys here.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The time of 4hrs and 4 mins is the time between time of entry and time of exit not parking. The PCN also states that ‘by parking within this car park the driver is bound to these terms and conditions’. No car park was parked in! As clearly stated in both emails. 

they have not provided the timings for actual parking anywhere. Only time of entry and exit. 

The elephant in the room which they did not mention was the keeper was not the driver and the PCN is non compliant.

I would write back to them stating that this letter is not an appeal.

The  University of Leeds has been informed that the keeper could not be the driver and the PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act  2012.  Ergo the keeper is not liable to pay the PCN.

While  that point was ignored on the appeal,  should they decide to take the matter further and instruct the Court for instance, that will be taken as a breach of keeper GDPR and as that can involve compensation which could be  as much as £2000 where certain types of disability are concerned, is it worth the risk?

• Like 3

Starting to look like we need to treat the university the same was as lll other PPC charlatans.

Looks like to OP has ample ammunition for a court case.

Revert to usual tactics of ignoring until letter of claim?

• Like 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Could also add that it will look very bad and rebound on the University Trust and any PPC if the press get hold of the fact they are seeking a CCJ against a Keeper who cannot defend as has no capacity to do so due to Alzheimer's and likely the Guardian, and Telegraph not to mention the Sun and Mirror if they were to send a Letter of Cllaim as there is a cast iron defence to rebut their case anyway, so they should cancel and stop the sillyness now before they end up looking downright stupid petty and nasty.

If they did ignore the letter LFI suggests  Nicky Boy#s suggestion is best way, then kick them into touch with an absolute defence.

• Like 1

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Normally we would say to wait now until a Letter of Claim arrives, but I don't see any harm in taking down the know-it-all who is replying by a peg or two right now.  How about -

Dear XXXXX,

Re: PCN no.XXXXX

thank you for today's mail.

Not one penny of your invoice will be paid.

If you want to take an elderly person who is suffering from advanced Alzheimer's to court who cannot possibly have been the driver, when you have not established keeper liability under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and when the car wasn't even parked on university land - well, go for it!  I'm sure the local and national media would love to do a story on the university.

Given you failure to establish keeper liability any further correspondence with the keeper will be taken as a breach of GDPR and that can involve compensation which could be as much as £2000.

Have a great weekend, XXXXX

Hang on a couple of hours to see if the other regulars pop in, then send it off and ruin this jobsworth's weekend.

• Like 1

Yes that should do the trick, they can't say they weren't warned that their position is hopeless, as that letter would also be useful in a WS pack if they were stupid, any Judge would see that greed clouded their brain.

• Like 1