Birmingham council Blue Badge fraud use - now magistrates date. **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yeah it takes him a while to get back to me. I’ll email this morning and ask and if I have no joy I’ll call up this afternoon. 

I’m at court tomorrow. My solicitor has just had this reply…

Further to your email of 7 October 2022, I can confirm that we are now in receipt of instructions from our Client Department. 

The case has been reviewed by a Senior Officer and your submissions regarding your client’s circumstances have been taken into account. However, the decision has been taken to proceed with the offence. 

Hello,

I have been through your situation earlier this year. 

I represented myself and got a fine. 

In terms of insurance not all insurers ask for convictions other than motoring conviction. A fraud conviction is not a motoring conviction so in a perverse sort of way having a fraud charge rather than a road traffic act conviction is better in terms of car insurance. I cancelled my old policy and took a brand new one out which did not require disclosing of non motoring convictions. 

For household insurance it doubled my premium and got it through an online broker. I cancelled my old policy and then took the new one out. 

Do not tell your current insurers about your conviction, just cancel the existing policy and then take new ones out that do not require disclosure of the fraud conviction at least for motor insurance purposes.

You want to avoid your current insurer cancelling your policy that is why I suggest cancelling said policy from your end first. For household do the same but use an online broker for the new policy.

For household insurers you will have to notify the broker about the conviction. 

Do your research when looking for new insurance providers. 

I know your work situation is extremely worrying.  I don't want to downplay things.

But as for saying "how come you only got a fine"?  Surely you realise this is the most petty offence the magistrates will ever have seen and the most you will get is a fine.

Unfortunately this will still mean a criminal record and potential bad consequences at work, but for the court appearance itself you will be in and out in a few minutes with only a small hole in your wallet at most to worry about.

Been there, done that.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thing is it’s going to change everything… I will lose my job and as for insurance I have quoted it’s £200 a month more. I cannot afford that! 
Therefore I will not be able to drive. My children will have to change school as without driving it will be impossible to get them there for the right time as they are at different schools. 

10:30 this morning 

Thank you 

I have read so many different things though… people in the same situation as me get a fine others a fine and a criminal record. I just wish it was consistent so at least I would know what was coming. 

the home insurers load up the premium because of the conviction.

have you told your insurers you will be getting a conviction? if you haven't already don't tell them.

as i explained cancel your policy and take a new policies up elsewhere. 

when you get home after your conviction cancel your existing policy and look for one which does not require disclosure of NON-motoring convictions. This way you will not be paying more premium for car insurance.

For home insurance do the same, cancel existing and take out a new one with an online broker. I can provide a link if it is allowed.

I got a fine because the starting point for my offence was a fine as told by the court clerk. the judges then determine if there are aggravating or mitigating circumstances. I pleaded guilty straight away and expressed remorse so that got me a low level fine compared to a higher fine or community service.

We have bot been unlucky in the sense that only a handful of council prosecute under the fraud act, most prosecute under the road traffic act only which is a lesser offence, some even offer a caution!! but this is the situation and you cannot change it now. You need to focus on damage limitation.

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed
  • Like 1