Tax Refund Error

zebra1950
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2703 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am new to these forums and would appreciate some much needed advice, because in May of this year (2016) I got a letter from the HMRC saying that I was entitled to a tax refund of £2500 as I had applied for the married mans allowance, which I duly accepted,

but then I got a letter this morning 19/11/16 stating that I owed them £2300, which I was totally shocked by, as I strongly believed that I had been awarded the rebate and it had been backdated, as I dont really understand tax affairs,

I am going to strongly appeal against this as I feel the HMRC are the ones responsible for this error, and failing that I will take it to the financial ombudsman, but can anyone tell me what are my chances of a successful appeal

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Have you checked all calculations first before you make a complaint, and also asked HMRC to check as well?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi renegade

I havent got a clue when it comes to tax calculations as I just assume that they, the (HMRC) have got all the whizz kids working for them,who should know about my tax affairs as I have supplied them with all the relevant information.

Hi Honeybee

I will try to sort out the paperwork and do what you suggest, also could I ask one more thing, if I am unsuccesful and have to pay it back whats the longest time they will allow, eg, would I be able to pay it back over 3-5 years

stop worrying about that, and cross that bridge when you come to it. Focus on getting that info together.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi Renegade,

I have just taken a couple of photos of the two tax notifications that the HMRC has sent me, the one from May 2016 showing that they owed me over £2500 and the one from November 2016 wheras I now owe them over £2300, but its all gobbldee gook to me, wonder if you or anyone on the forums can make any sense of it.

Regards zebra

Tax Form 1.jpg

Tax Fom 2.jpg

Hi Again Renegade

I forgot to mention that I think that the confusion lies with me having two separate tax codes, one for my State Pension and the other for my Occupational Pension and those guys at the HMRC are well aware of this, but I think its baffling them as well, but it was they who sanctioned these codes in the first place, I've had more hassle from them since I retired than when I was working.

:-x zebra

Have you rang them and asked whats going on?

I am going to ring them first thing tomorrow morning and strongly dispute this, as it is THEIR mistake not mine.

Sounds a right pitb atm....

Do make sure you have all your paperwork to hand & record the call, this is so that any other mistakes made by HMRC going forward can be referred back to your call.

Hopefully you can get this sorted in your favour!

Good luck...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Hi Grumpy

I disagree with your comment to some degree as I had applied for the married mans allowance, so I genuinely thought that this had been backdated for all the years I have been married so it was a genuine mistake on my part, but they, the (HMRC) are supposed to be the brains when it comes to tax calculations as they had all the relevant paperwork regarding my tax affairs, but I suppose you're right and I will have to pay it back but I will have a good go at disputing it. Zebra

Hi Grumpy

I disagree with your comment to some degree as I had applied for the married mans allowance, so I genuinely thought that this had been backdated for all the years I have been married so it was a genuine mistake on my part, but they, the (HMRC) are supposed to be the brains when it comes to tax calculations as they had all the relevant paperwork regarding my tax affairs, but I suppose you're right and I will have to pay it back but I will have a good go at disputing it. Zebra

To some extent, I disagree with my comment too. Their mistake, they can suck it up and deal with it.

Its just in reality, the tax man wont let it go. Its not his money, its public money and they will want it back.

Hi Again Grumpy

I've been given this debate some thought, this is definite negligence on their part and whichever employee of theirs dealt with this mis-calculation, then they should be responsible for paying this back from their salary instead of landing me in debt, because my son manages a licensed social club and if one of his employees or in fact himself, accidently gives too much change, then they are responsible for paying that money back to the till.

Zebra

Ok they have several sources of income, the biggest difference is the £10k ESA and lack of employers pension on the later letter. Did you actually get that? I can see how they arrived at the tax due figure but there is a big discrepancy between income amounts and sources.

Also, what is your spouses income? Reason I ask is they havent actually done the tax relief transfer anyway so somehting else to complain about if spouses income less than £9k.

Hi ericsbrother,

Thanks for your input on this, I don't know how they arrived at these figures as I would not have received £10k in ESA, it looks like they have mixed up part of my superannuation with this benefit, but its still vague to me, and yes my wifes income is less than £9k per annum, it has really got me bemused on how they work their figures out.

Regards Zebra

Hi All

I rang the tax office yesterday and they are looking into it and will get someone to call me back one day this week, I have just noticed on their P800 (Understanding Your P800 Tax Calculation Form) where it states that in some cases they will agree not to take tax from the customer if they have not used all the information supplied and that the HMRC did not act on information which caused their mistake, but then they go on to say, ( within 12 months), therefore giving them a timescale to rectify their miscalculations, so they are covering themselves, very crafty move. Zebra

so do you actually know what your income was and where it came from? They may have made a mistake or they may be right but you are supposed to know how much your earned from various sources because each of them will give you a P46 at the end of the financial year (usually may/jun) Now dig those out and get hold of your bank statements so you can see if the pension and ESA figures are anywhere near correct as I dont believe that you dont know how to calculate if your pension payment is correct or not and saying it is gobbledygook wont impress the taxman and it doesnt impress me.

Also, as you have multiple sources of income you would normally fill out a self-assessment tax form to make sure you are paying the correct tax overall. The pension provider will normally be given your statndard tax code and any other income either taxed in full or given its own code to use up the income that is tax free. ESA is paid before tax and most people wont pay tax on it anyway.

On the plus side, they only start collection activity if your income is above a certain threshold so you may not have to repay it anyway. An income of roughly £11k will mean that they cant ask for the money back according to some formula they use so it just stays on the system as a debt for ever. You will need to speak to them about this though or they wont put your name into that particular part of the machine and the dca's will be asking you to contact them regarding the debt.

Tell us exactly what your income was and from where and it will be fairly easy to do a calculation to give back to the taxman. You can ask the DWP for their breakdown of the ESA and any tax deducted from it, likewise your private pension. Take the state pension as it stands as having no tax deducted.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hi ericsbrother,

Firstly I am not trying to "impress" either you or the taxman with the gobbley gook wording, and yes I do know what state pension and occupational pension I receive, its just when this marriage persons allowance came into affect last year and I applied, then that, is where the confusion arose from.

What I am saying is the HMRC had all the relevant documents regarding my tax affairs, they are the ones who made the error but I have spoken to them over the phone and they are sort of only half admitting the mistake,

I have now passed all the information onto AGE UK who are looking into this matter for me, and I have informed the HMRC that I am putting this into dispute, my own personal annual income from both sources are approximately £11.250.00.

Zebra

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hi Honeybee,

This wasnt the same allowance as my wife and I were both born in 1950, this particular allowance came out last year and I was genuinely led to believe that this was backdated for all the time we have been married.

Kind Regards Zebra

this particular allowance came out last year

It did and therefore can be backdated for one year if you claim it for the first time this year - can't be backdated for any time before it existed. It's worth a couple of hundred quid per year no matter what the income of the higher earner as only a set amount can be transferred between a husband and wife and only the non tax payer can apply.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance?gclid=CjwKEAiAyO_BBRDOgM-K8MGWpmYSJACePQ9CQcOiwOy23K6en7hYLFH-MX6urBC9J-7-5iPBiaVV3BoCYWPw_wcB