Tax credit compliance interview

Tax credits compliance call

Anxietyridden
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well aren’t I glad I came across this at 2:30am not having been able to sleep/concentrate/parent for a week.

Received the dreaded letter from HMRC about a telephone interview as youngest child’s dad listed at address. I have been seriously stupid for the last 6 years and not been honest as I lost my eldest daughter father and always worried about being financially stable incase anything happened with my youngest father. We don’t particularly get on but have a joint mortgage, I feel so guilty for not stopping claim sooner!

Anyway, I have the call next week and it only stipulated a 4 month period earlier this year in the letter. I am dreading them asking for bank statements as we share everything down the middle he sends me money and likewise.

do I say about the past 6 years or the dates in hand at the moment? I am actually in tears every moment thinking I am going to jail etc. it is ALOT of money I will owe in excess 30k . 

has anyone been told to come in for an interview under caution for these calls? Also, the penalty of £3,000 for every year - how likely is this on top of paying pack every penny I owe??

worry I will lose my job and everything. 

Hello, welcome to CAG.

Please stop thinking about prison, we haven't seen anyone get a prison sentence. Everybody has been asked to make an affordable monthly payment towards what has been overclaimed.

From our experience on here, tax credits aren't fierce and are usually pretty understanding. It's best to tell the truth whether or not it's an IUC because as you say, if they ask for bank statements they'll know anyway.

Have a read around our HMRC forum at all the other cases here and their outcomes. I'll move this thread to HMRC.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for your response but a quick google search brings up pages and pages of cases whereby people have went to court/sentenced for tax credit fraud alone. 

WWW.THECOURIER.CO.UK

A Rosyth woman has been ordered to pay back more than £47,000 after being convicted of benefit fraud. Toni...

Such a worry. Why do some people get away with it and others don’t?

I can only go by our experience here which is that we haven't seen anyone get a prison sentence.

Please try not to pre-judge what will happen, it'll just make you feel worse. You can be open and honest on the phone call and show them that you're a good person who made a bad judgement call.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks - it’s just so hard to keep calm. Feel like I am going crazy. I was feeling better reading people’s post but the Google searches tip me over the edge everytime. 

if anyone has any positive stories would love to hear them. Just feel like i know I was in the wrong but feel I will be the unlucky one they pick to take all the way through courts…

Stop doing the Google searches!

Each case reviewed by HMRC is going to be different as they cover different circumstances.

You just have to provide all of the information requested.

Prosecution is very rare because it costs money to go through the Courts process, when they could just calculate the debt and arrange repayment of amount owed over a long period.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes I am just quite happy to pay it back but I honestly don’t know if that will be an option either. Just have the keep everything crossed I suppose. Just want a full nights sleep. Affecting my whole life, kids lives as they don’t understand why I am so down. But know it is of course my fault.