style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently in the process of buying my council flat. I am still paying rent to London Borough of Haringey. Recently, I contacted them about a repair that needs to be carried out in the flat and I was told that because I am in the process of buying the flat all repairs are now my responsibility even though I am still paying rent.

The particular repair is a leaking cistern. On 31st May, a technician from Thames Water came to check the meter which was constantly running (though I was not aware of this until Thames water contacted me), as a result of the leak from the cistern into the toilet. According to the technician, the responsibility for this lies with Homes for Haringey as the property is still under them and not yet in my name.

The property is not in my name and I am still paying rent to Homes for Haringey. I therefore do not agree that this repair should be my responsibility.

Who is right? I am still paying them rent. What can I do about getting the repair done?

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

The fact you are paying the rent is not the issue, if the property is not in your name, then it is not your responsibility, but I could be wrong..

Thank you for your quick response.

The property is not in my name as the sale has not yet been completed. What can I do to get the repair done by the council?

I assume it is your name on Water account and TA makes you resp for paying it.

Cistern leak prob due to faulty float valve £20-50 to replace) and not nec LLs repairing obligation.

R2B rules may state once an application is made, minor repairs are resp of applicant, but not major leaks.

It is standard practice that the LL will stop all repairs on your property whilst it is subject to R2B

When calculating any discount they are entitled to the full recuperation of any monies spent on your property in the previous 10 years if they acquired your home before 2 april 2012 and 15 years if after 2 april 2012.

Any money spent on your home (yes, even a leaking cistern repair) will affect the level of discount you are offered as they claw it back, so effectively, it matters not, you end up paying for it anyway, either directly to a plumber or by having the costs added back onto the purchase price.

https://www.gov.uk/right-to-buy-buying-your-council-home/discounts

Edited by martin2006
link added

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.