Freehold just purchased by Southern Land Securities

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 175 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

There are two flats in our converted 1912 building.  Just heard that freehold sold to the above company and worried because of what I’ve read on this forum and other sites about them, their property management company Together,  and their service/insurance charges. 

We are wondering if we should look at Right to Manage but worried that they may contest this and drive up cost of doing so.  Has anyone else done this with them specifically and what has your experience been? 

If we don’t go down this route then are there other ideas as to how to go about keeping service charge manageable from the get go?  

Our communal hallway is tiny ( and was painted earlier this year)  the garden is not communal ( it belongs to me), and front was painted at least 3 years ago. However I suspect that won’t put them off trying to get additional work done. 

Advice/experience re this group would be much appreciated. Thank you!! 

Edited by jenni1uk
Missed out a couple of words

Hi

I assume your flats are Leasehold and if so even if the Landlord has sold the freehold to this well as you have already read on CAG this company it does not stop nor prevent you going down the Right to Manage route.

Make sure before your decide the above to have discussions with others in the building and exactly what is required of you if you do go this route.

Have a look at these following links to put your mind at ease:

WWW.LEASE-ADVICE.ORG

Outline of the right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of the building (right to manage)

WWW.GOV.UK

Leasehold property - leasehold disputes, buying the freehold, service charges, lease extensions and Right to Manage

WWW.GOV.UK

As a landlord, find out if the leaseholders in your block have the right to take over management of your building, and the process they must go through...

ENGLAND.SHELTER.ORG.UK

Rights of leaseholders in some blocks of flats to form a company to manage the block, to which a landlord or other leaseholders may object.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks Stu for the links. I’ll be taking a look at them.

There are only two flats- mine and the neighbour upstairs. 

I think we’d both be interested in doing RTM however we’ve heard stories of how costs could run in the thousands if the freeholder contests our right to manage application.  We don’t have thousands between us and so worried about this particular aspect. 

Any thoughts on this welcome. 

Hi

Have a very good read of the first link as all the info you need is in that specific link from leasehold advisory service.

The next 2 links (Government links) one is for leaseholders and the other is for landlords (put the landlord one their so you know what the landlords have to abide by

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group