Can estate agents charge extra when tenant stays on after lease ends

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Partner has rents out a small flat

the previous tenant stopped paying rent for the last three months

and did not vacate the flat until a Court Order was issued.

The tenant overstayed by over two months from the end of the lease

on top of being well out of pocket on the let, the Estate Agents are asking for another £400 for their fee because the tenant stayed on longer!

They know the tenant did not pay,

they know about the Court Order so to try and stick on an extra cost

when the tenant was not wanted

plus the loss of earnings my Partner incurred during the time the tenant stayed on

because a new tenant could not be installed is adding insult to injury.

Can that charge be challenged?

Hi

Look up the estate agents website (if they have one hopefully they do) have a good read if they have there Terms & conditions on the site.

Also check if they have a company number and do a web search i.e. companies house webcheck, on them (also see what reviews they have)

This would also depend on the contract signed with the estate agent so we would need more information especially any clauses that may be in that contract to give better advice.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If the money they charge is to manage the letting then surely they have failed to perform their part of the agreement. If the LL collects rent directly and the agents are only asking asking for a renewal fee then that's really cheeky. I don't think they can be entitled to it when there's no renewal of tenancy.

I agree with your summing up hightail. The Agents found the tenant and they were collecting the rent-nothing else. The tenancy was not renewed and in fact the process to evict the tenant was already ongoing as there was a large amount of rent unpaid.

We have had a sudden unexpected death in the family so digging out the lease has taken a back seat but they are living on borrowed time.