Rules surrounding collecting for charity

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a member of a local group here in Dorset, Pets Lost and Found. It is purely voluntary and now has 4032 members. They will post up quickly about stolen pets, lost pets, found pets, and organise searches for cats, dogs, birds that go missing. They go out and scan deceased animals, or take wildlife off to a vet etc. .They are very successful and have helped many people get back with lost pets, although there have been a few sad endings, of course.

Its not a registered charity, but they did ask for donations for a petrol fund a while ago, which is very reasonable considering what they do. They also ask sometimes for help with admin, this is a kitty so that they can then help with advertising, tracker dogs etc. They sometimes pick up on other charities appeals, and point the members in the right direction if they wish to donate to those.

They recently had the idea of asking for Xmas donations to give as many dogs (homeless or in rescues) a Xmas pressie. Someone pointed out that they couldn´t ask for donations, it was unlawful as they were not a registered charity. So to err on the side of caution, shoeboxes are being packed and handed over instead.

Now, is this correct, that they cannot lawfully ask for donations? And could someone point me to a website or something where I can read up about this, as I´d like to help them out, but I don´´t know much about this.

Many thanks for any replies.

Don't think any charity is allowed to shake a tin are they in the street or a public place but I could be wrong..

Quite right, the shaking of collection tins/buckets is frowned upon, at least what I have been taught anyway..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!