Interview in 1 week - I'm being interviewed by one of the candidates!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My boss has 4 direct reports including myself - one of the roles is being made redundant, the person currently in this role I'll refer to as 'Coyote'. It is definitely Coyotes job that is being made redundant because they have a different job title to the other direct reports.

Coyote currently has no direct reports but has responsibility for the work that myself and my 2 other colleagues produce, hence a need for restructuring.

In the restructuring move, the remaining 3 positions would report into 3 new Shift Managers, who in turn will report in to my current boss. One of the 3 new Shift Managers will have senior ranking and will fill in for my boss when he is absent.

In a 1:1 when I was first told about the restructure, my boss told me that Coyote would get the senior ranking job, a current colleague will get one of the others, which leaves one job up for grabs, this looked like it would be a permanent nightshift role to give the other 2 people more exposure to senior management in office hours. He reeled off a list of potential applicants who 'definitely wouldn't' get this role. He said he thought I should apply but needed to prepare for questions regarding my limited 1 year 3 months experience in the current role.

I left my 1:1 feeling a bit begrudged that I would have to fight when others were being gifted and that my boss was potentially not doing things by the book. I did a lot of thinking and decided that I wouldn't allow myself to have to make any more difficult decisions and would put the onus of decision making back on to my boss.

I applied for the Senior Shift Manager role.

Today I received my invite for interview and noticed two things:

1. Coyote (under her soon-to-be-redundant job title) would be interviewing me alongside my boss.
  2. I would be interviewed for the Shift Manager job, not the Senior Shift Manager job.

As Coyotes job is being made redundant, this surely makes them a candidate for any one of the 3 Shift Manager roles? It makes no sense to me why they would be involved as an interviewer.

In applying for the Senior Shift Manager role, I expected to come up against Coyote as a candidate, not be interviewed by them. I have not been formally told that I've been unsuccessful in applying for the Senior role.

The interview is on Thursday 17th September, so I have 7 days in which to say something. I don't want to say anything after the event because it would be seen as sour grapes if I was unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?

get the chip off your shoulder? There's no legal requirement to give anyone an interview at all, many restructures are done by a CV sift. This would appear to be the process for how Coyote has been appointed.

You have been told what you are being interviewed for so I would say that is a firm notification that you have not got the senior job.

In a union? Talk to them. But given your short length of service I truly would not expect to get far. Your boss has been very open with you - perhaps more open than he should have been but he's given you a realistic expectation and tried to take some uncertainty out of the process. Not sure why you are choosing to ignore this.

My expectation would be that stirring the pot will ensure you are also unsuccessful at interview.

Take a telling!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

get the chip off your shoulder? There's no legal requirement to give anyone an interview at all, many restructures are done by a CV sift. This would appear to be the process for how Coyote has been appointed.

You have been told what you are being interviewed for so I would say that is a firm notification that you have not got the senior job.

In a union? Talk to them. But given your short length of service I truly would not expect to get far. Your boss has been very open with you - perhaps more open than he should have been but he's given you a realistic expectation and tried to take some uncertainty out of the process. Not sure why you are choosing to ignore this.

My expectation would be that stirring the pot will ensure you are also unsuccessful at interview.

Take a telling!

Agree. Don't moan about this, otherwise you will find yourself out of a job. Coyote has obviously already been taken out of their previous role and is now a senior shift manager interviewing you with the unit manager for a role you are being considered for.

It sounds like you are well thought of and are fortunate to be considered for promotion, given your limited time in your current role. If you do well, you may get to the next level quickly.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for the reality check. I am following your advice and have kept my thoughts to myself.

I am going through the interview process this week and have already completed the internal aptitude testing.

I certainly will update.

Interestingly, an internal candidate withdrew from the process yesterday and cited the reasons I stated in my initial post.

I listened to their points but didn't pass comment and casually changed the subject. After all, it could just be smoke and mirrors

I certainly will update.

Interestingly, an internal candidate withdrew from the process yesterday and cited the reasons I stated in my initial post.

I listened to their points but didn't pass comment and casually changed the subject. After all, it could just be smoke and mirrors

The classy response ☺

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I had the interview today with my boss and Coyote.

My boss referred to my application for senior shift manager and said that this interview was for shift manager. Coyote "has been given" the senior role. My boss referenced Coyotes level of experience as being unmatched, hence no requirement to interview them.

All the while Coyote was sat there looking like the cat who got the cream, that was just a side show and I reasoned that I had to take my medicine with a smile.

On to the aptitude test results, interview and presentation.

I was above 70th percentile for numerical and verbal reasoning in comparison to other management level candidates who have taken the aptitude test. Not stellar but doesn't show any weakness.

The interview was lead by my boss and it was trickier than I imagined. I was expecting more of a technical interview but it was packed with scenario based questions. My boss made it harder because he knows I can people manage well and forced me to answer the questions without referencing that skillset. Two of my answers were weak due to this. Coyote kindly interjected occasionally to highlight omissions in my answers.

The presentation went well - it was a set subject of what I'd do in the first 9 months in the role, 10 minute limit. I had practised thoroughly, it flowed well and was delivered clearly in 9min 30sec.

A shortlist will now be created and if I'm successful, a 2nd HR/Finance led interview will take place around 30th Sept.

Edited by cmawp

From what you have written, if I were Coyote I'd read your bad attitude toward her a mile off....