Can my line manager message/phone me on a daily basis with minor issues even though I'm contractually Part-Time. **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not the biggest issue in the world, granted. However it is really starting to grind my gears and I wondered what the actual legal position is:

Briefly: I am contracted to work 3 days per week. Any three days, any shift. It is a lowly, barely minimum wage job. I enjoy it, largely. 

My immediate manager has taken to telephoning me everyday. I set my phone to "divert" when I'm on a day off. 

This will result in a voice-mail message to call him back.

If this is ignored, then the dreaded "work whatsapp group" fires up with "XXXX call me back please!"

If THIS is also ignored, then the emails begin.

I wouldn't mind if I was "on-call" 24/7 as a requirement of the job and remunerated accordingly. Nor would I mind if I was senior management who needed to action issues as and when they occurred.

However, I'm neither. I'm a simple canon-fodder role and am starting to feel resentful of this daily intrusion which is leaving me feeling like I'm permanently "on" and thinking about work, waiting for the inevitable contact.

He's paid to be a manager.... SO MANAGE!!!!!! Only call me on my days off it's an emergency or your house is literally on fire!

Is there any legal view on this - obviously I don't want to cause bad feeling, but even less so if I'm in the wrong!!! 

All thoughts welcome, or if further clarification needed.

Hi, sometimes yes. I'm not unreasonable - of course I understand last minute changes to rota based on illness/unforseens etc. However not EVERY day! 

And it's the phone calls I resent. I don't mind messaging, because I can look and respond in my own time. With phone calls it's the immediacy and arrogant expectation of immediate pick-up as if I have no life except to sit by the phone like that old dog from His Masters Voice HMV! (Showing my age there!) 

My philosophy on a job of this standing is that whilst I am there, I am 100% available and will give 100% work.

The minute I clock out, it is MY time, and I do not exist until I clock in again.

Save for once in a rare occasion emergencies of course, where I will help if I can.  But not as a daily thing - if my manager is lonely and needs a natter, I suggest he phones the Samaritans, not me! 

Do I have legislation on my side here though, is my question.

Other than rostering, if you are on a contract with a set number of hours, you need not respond at all.

If it says "hours required to do the job" that is different.

I would try,

"I am contracted for X hours. If you need me to do more, I'm happy to talk about that, but obviously my wages would need to increase, too. Is that something you want to talk about? Or, is there a different way for me to record information while I am at work, to make it easier for you to find when I am not here?"

• Like 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Sorry for delay in replying. 

Yep, thanks Emmzzi, I hear what you're saying.

It's kinda my fault for allowing the situation to grow over the years - being a little "too" available, hoping to curry favour for the times when I messed up.

Naive of me really. 

It's business, not friends. Every man for himself. 

Only useful whilst useful to the business - when no longer useful all extra hours, favours, help and shoulders to cry on are forgotten. Discarded quicker than a used condom. 

The situation has resolved itself.

Thanks for all replies. 

• dx100uk changed the title to Can my line manager message/phone me on a daily basis with minor issues even though I'm contractually Part-Time. **RESOLVED**