Cabot/Wright Hassal claimform - Halifax Credit Card 'debt'

MJC1973
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3261 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have argued that the claimant did not serve demands for payment in writing in a competent manner.

I never received a Notice of Assignment to Cabot from the original creditor, Halifax.

Further more, when I received a letter from Cabot,

I wrote (in May 2013) to them with a section 78 request (CCA), enclosing £10

and stated that as far as Cabot were concerned I had no knowledge of any debt that was outstanding to them,

which would not be subject to the Statute of Limitations Act 1980

(the original agreement having been taken out with Halifax pre 2007).

Furthermore, despite asking Cabot to supply the original creditor’s statements of account,

showing when the last payment was made and when the account technically went into default (according to the accounts terms and conditions)

I received no direct response.

Finally, I have been making nominal payments as a token of goodwill & acknowledgment of the debt.

This was done upon the advice and guidance of the Consumer Credit Counselling Service.

I notified Cabot of this and caveated the correspondence that unless they heard otherwise

would assume that this arrangement was to the creditor’s satisfaction.

Wright Hassal have now issued court proceedings

only yesterday I received two letters in the same envelope,

one stating they would look to have my defence struck and proceed with the court case

and the second offering me a 10% discount to settle by the 28th March 2015.

Am I on a hiding to nothing and should I just get on with negotiating a better discount?

I presume that Cabot would not have paid more than 20 p in the pound?

could you please fill in the following as fully as possible, it will give us the details to help you

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?419198-You-have-received-a-Claim-What-you-need-to-do.-**UPDATED-December-2014**%281-Viewing%29-nbsp

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

I hope you mean you sent a CCA request off with a £1 Blank PO? not £10??to cabot?

£10's - thats for an sar and does not guarantee nor 'force' cabot to produce a CCA...

and they'll use the spare £9 as payment!

lastly if you have been paying via CCCS and those payments are within 6yrs of the date of the claim it cant be SB'd.

you need to fill the link out

and show us your filed defence please.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi guys,

below my defence (for what it's worth).

Attached is the answers to your questionnaire and other relevant documents.

"The defendant maintains that the claimant did not serve demands

for payment in writing in a competent manner.

The defendant never received a Notice of Assignment to Cabot from the original creditor, Halifax.

Further more, when the defendant received a letter from Cabot, they wrote (in May 2013) to them

with a section 78 request (CCA), enclosing £10 and stated that as far as Cabot were concerned they had no knowledge of any debt that was outstanding to them,

which would not be subject to the Statute of Limitations Act 1980

(the original agreement having been taken out with Halifax pre 2007).

Furthermore, despite asking Cabot to supply the original creditor’s statements of account, showing when the last payment was made

and when the account technically went into default (according to the accounts terms and conditions)

the defendant received no direct response.

Finally, the defendant has been making nominal payments (of between £1-2 p.c.m) as a token of goodwill & acknowledgment of the debt.

This was done upon the advice and guidance of the Consumer Credit Counselling Service.

The defendant notified Cabot of this and caveated the correspondence that unless they heard otherwise

would assume that this arrangement was to the creditor’s satisfaction.

They also sent out on an annual basis notice of their financial statement

and in fact the next one would be due on the 1st April 2015

and be served, by recorded delivery to all creditors."

Edited by MJC1973
reduced size of document

I have edited your post to reduce the size of one of your documents.. at 46.3mb it was taking a while to download :)

I have also just noticed that you have left your personal details on documents.. name, address, account number, password for acknowledging claim etc.. can you please edit and repost !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Summary appears to be that you were in a repayment plan for £1-£2.00 per month based on advice from CCCS. But Cabot have still issued a claim.

Do you own your home? If so, then they are probably looking to take this to charging order stage where they will attempt to secure the debt on your property.

Your defence does not look to be CPR compliant.. eg.. responding to the claim . I will try and find someone who can help further.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

can you please copy and paste the text of your Q&A doc into a msg box here

you don't need to worry about the other attachment we don't need to see those docs

have cabot ever sent you the CCA back?

is it enforceable?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Cabot have never sent a CCA back to me no,

so I don't know if its enforceable.

I do know that the original agreement was made in 2004.

Name of claimant: Cabot

Date of issue: 22nd January 2015

Particulars of claim:

The Claimant’s claim is for debts arising from the Consumer Credit Act 1974 agreements.

The Claimant is an Assignee of the following debts,

notice of the assignment having been given to the defendant in writing.

Halifax Credit Card. Account no.

Despite demands for payment, the above sums remain due.

The Claimant therefore claims the sum of 3,462.75

interest under s.69 County Courts Act 1984 and costs.

Value of claim: 3,462.75

Has Claimant included section 69? : Yes

The claim is for a credit card

The original agreement was entered into before 2007

The claim has been assigned and the Debt purchaser Cabot has issued the claim

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment?

I maintain that the Claimant did not serve Notice of Assignment in writing in a competent manner

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?

I maintain that the original creditor did not serve Default Notice in writing in a competent manner

as I continue to this day to pay a nominal monthly sum to their original bank account

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year?

No,

the only correspondence I have received from Cabot Financial was on the 12th February 2015

– a statement of account and notice of arrears.

The statement actually showed the monthly payments I have been making for the period it covers (1/8/2014-31/1/2015).

This is the only statement I have ever received from the Claimant to the best of my knowledge (see answers above)

Why did you cease payments?

I did not.

After seeking advice from CCCS I wrote to the original creditor and explained that I was (and remain so) financial difficulty.

I offered to make nominal payments of between £1-2 pcm which they accepted and I continue to make.

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? - No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor

and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan?

Yes, as per last but one answer.

The original creditor even agreed to freeze interest on the account.

it looks like you might have been following a wee bit of freeman of the land twaddle

I'd forget that now if I was you.

so lets get you upto speed.

have you sent cabot a CCA request since you got the claimform?

if not do so now - CCA request

[£1 BLANK PO do not sign anything.]

have you sent wright hassle a CPR 31:14 request?

- if not do so now [top green library tab, legal section]

so to date all they have done since your defence filing is willy wave

there's been no dates for anything that's been set yet?

dx

and they

it looks like you might have been following a wee bit of freeman of the land twaddle

I'd forget that now if I was you.

so lets get you upto speed.

have you sent cabot a CCA request since you got the claimform?

if not do so now - CCA request

[£1 BLANK PO do not sign anything.]

have you sent wright hassle a CPR 31:14 request?

- if not do so now [top green library tab, legal section]

so to date all they have done since your defence filing is willy wave

there's been no dates for anything that's been set yet?

dx

Shall send the CCA & CPR 31:14 request today.

Wrt dates, I received a notice from Northampton County Court that it is now a defended claim and I must complete & return the Form N180 (Small Claims Directions Questionnaire) by the 2nd April '15

ok good several threads here with example WS's here and in the successes forum.

I'd let the CCA run for now.

and they

• 2 months later...

So request for CCA was sent in and Cabot write back saying "as you're at a different address we need to check that it's really you before we can comply" - ironic seeing they'll happily issue court proceedings at the new address!

The court then said that if they couldn't come up with proof of their claim i.e. CCA etc. then they would summarily dismiss it. Bang on the date the court would dismiss their claim Wright Hassall put in for an application for extension of 60 days "to allow the claimant time to obtain the necessary documents to evidence its claim"

This seems nuts - why start a claim if they haven't got the documents to evidence? If they didn't have them at the start or since, why will they suddenly appear in the next 60 days (from the hearing on the 18th June).

I want to write to the court and object - can I and is their a cute way of saying it?

all these claims are always speculative claims

hoping for a non contested rubberstamped default judgement.

dx

and they

" Bang on the date the court would dismiss their claim Wright Hassall put in for an application for extension of 60 days "to allow the claimant time to obtain the necessary documents to evidence its claim "

Have you received an Order from court confirming this application....? it should allow you to set a side or vary?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

So request for CCA was sent in and Cabot write back saying "as you're at a different address we need to check that it's really you before we can comply" - ironic seeing they'll happily issue court proceedings at the new address!

The court then said that if they couldn't come up with proof of their claim i.e. CCA etc. then they would summarily dismiss it. Bang on the date the court would dismiss their claim Wright Hassall put in for an application for extension of 60 days "to allow the claimant time to obtain the necessary documents to evidence its claim"

This seems nuts - why start a claim if they haven't got the documents to evidence? If they didn't have them at the start or since, why will they suddenly appear in the next 60 days (from the hearing on the 18th June).

I want to write to the court and object - can I and is their a cute way of saying it?

I assume they've just made an application and that there's not Order yet?

Have you received a notice of hearing yey?