Backdoor Erudio CCJ - old SLC Loans - i Moved

I took out a student loan in 1997, 1998 and 99 under the Student Loans scheme, which was later passed to Erudio to manage.

I have never earnt enough to pass the threshold for repayment, and have deferred without problems with SLC and Erudio for years.

There was a point after 2015 where things went wrong and I'm not sure of the dates, because I had a new baby, cancer, lupus and was in and out of hospital over and over again.

I do recall a phone call with Erudio during this time where they told me that if the cancer was diagnosed as terminal and I could prove it with a letter from my consultant, they'd wipe my loan(!), but thankfully that didn't transpire.

During this time they repeatedly refused my deferments or didn't acknowledge receipt which pushed me into arrears.

Then, one day, they stopped contacting me at all and I forgot to chase them to find out what was going on.

However, in June 2019 I replied to a court demand to acknowledge service of a claim form from them - I can only find a pdf of the form I returned saying I intended to defend the case, although I'm sure I sent a full written defence back to them.

The case was filed together with my defence in July 2019, and then "stayed" in August 2019, although there's no record of why it was stayed.

In June 2021 I moved house and despite having a redirect on my post for a year, heard nothing from them and so didn't remember that I should have updated my address with them. Also Covid was quite the thing at the time, and my ill health and disabilities meant I was considered vulnerable and therefore life was, in general, quite stressful - I lost track of quite a lot of things during this time.

The stay was lifted on 16/10/2023, again with no contact from them to me, due to a "request for judgement".

A hearing was apparently held on 02/01/24, of which I wasn't aware, no contact having been made with me.

On 15/01/24 I received an email into my spam box which contained a link for a remote hearing for the judgement, I didn't see this email until 20 minutes after the time of the hearing, and the judge issued a CCJ against me on the basis of "the Defendant's conduct in failing to engage being unreasonable" including the other side's costs.

I am in the process of filling out an N244 form to ask the judge to reopen the case to allow me to defend myself on the basis that they haven't contacted me or otherwise alerted me to the process until the day of the hearing for the judgment.

Erudio previously have held my phone number and email, neither of which have changed, and so to claim that they couldn't contact me seems specious at best.

Can I get some general advice from you as to how I can best represent myself on paper against this CCJ, and either reach a settlement I can pay, or get this matter removed from my financial record entirely.

It doesn't seem very lawful that Erudio can use my old postal address to issue the claim, and not try any other means of contact since.

Am I wrong?

Welcome to the forum.

I have moved your topic to the correct forum Financial Legal Issues.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to Backdoor Erudio CCJ - old SLC Loans - i Moved

not a lot you can do sadly.

you didn't inform them of  your new address.

they quite legally filed to an old address

thread title updated.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOlWoman said:

During this time they repeatedly refused my deferments or didn't acknowledge receipt which pushed me into arrears.

expand please why did they refuse deferment.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They refused deferment on the grounds that I was out of their time limits

- they would wait until the last minute to let me know that they hadn't received my forms or needed further information, and this happened every time.

I appealed each time but was repeatedly unsuccessful.

yea that brief description doesnt really help.

have you still got all these communications?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I possibly do still have everything from Erudio, but it will be in a box I need to dig out.

Do you think I should contact Erudio directly at this point and explain and request that I have all of the information regarding to their case against me?

i wouln't be tipping them off a poss set aside is coming.

FIND THAT INFO GET PROOF.

dx

and they