• Tweets

• The other cases aren't going to happen before November though, are they? Reporters are saying he can't pardon himself for a state conviction. He would have to lean on the governor of New York state, as I understand it.
    • I am requesting your assistance to how I should go about a serious breach of my privacy that occurred during my stay at one of IHG’s hotel on Ma 2023. Having previously had items taken from my hotel room elsewhere I take the added precaution of using a security camera app on my device whenever I stay in a hotel room. The recordings are date and time stamped and it cannot be adjusted by the end user.   On this particular occasion I discovered evidence from my personal security camera recordings of a spy camera had been placed underneath my door, and can be seen moving along the base of the door for approximately 15 seconds.   The spy camera is in fact marketed as an inspection device of drains primarily but is known to be used in observing spaces difficult to enter. It is a usb endoscopic camera that has a length flexible cable that is semi rigid and can negotiate any obstruction by bending. The operator can be up to 3-4 metres away.   Infuriated as I had previously stayed with them in 2022 for 3 months at £260 per night that they would seek to question my honesty and invade my privacy. I immediately called reception and asked why they would do such a thing and if they had any concerns they were welcome to inspect my room and go through my personal belongings and ask me anything they wanted to. I was sleeping for the best part of my stay and was alone throughout.   I sent the recordings to the receptionist within the hour of finding them and I asked to speak to the manager of the hotel who I was told wasn’t present. I tried to have face to face meetings with him but he instead wrote to me denying the recordings were made at their hotel stating that they didn’t observe anyone in the corridor at the time of the recordings and that they don’t have a metal bar at the interface of the tile and carpet which corresponds to the overlying door. I rejected that statement on the grounds the video doesn’t show a bar but a reflection of light on the tile and you wouldn’t see a person outside my door because the cable is black and runs along the floor. If you don’t look for this you won’t see it. The matter was passed up to the area manager and he also denied the allegation. This is where the matter ends as far as IHG are concerned. Leading a busy work and family life I let the matter go but I found myself back at the same hotel a year later. I booked for  2 nights and was given a room facing the lobby door that led to the lifts. Unfortunately, from the hours of 3am I was woken up by the noise of the door opening and closing but also noticed shadows of a person standing in front of my door. At first I took no notice and put this down to a guest waiting for someone but the person or persons returned several times, standing outside my door for up to several minutes. I called the hotel reception and asked if there was an issue  on my floor and they said they would come up to check. They never said they would check the CCTV and as the incidents continued to happen up to 8am I called them 6 times. Given my past experience I didn’t think they took security as serious a# her establishments and made them observe the Cctv and let me know. The explanation I was given was that they could see residents there but they were heading down to breakfast. The time that I had noticed these feet by door was from 3am and breakfast started at 6.30am. It also didn’t explain why they would stand by my door for anything longer than 10seconds and if they were waiting for someone how likely is it that this scenario is played out 6 times when there was only 12 rooms per floor. Later that morning when I went down for breakfast the manager said he would move me to a room at the end of the corridor and asked me what my plans were for the day, essentially when would I be in the hotel. I stated that for the day I was out. He then said that all his staff were uncomfortable about me being a guest and said that I was not welcome there anymore. I had paid for the two nights but when it came to the end of the day I didn’t feel that I would be able to rest at the hotel given the hostility so I returned the next day to collect my remaining belongings, namely items of clothing, an iPhone charging cable and plug, and toiletries. Checkout was at 2pm and I was at the hotel at 3pm. All my belongings were gone and they couldn’t locate the items.  I plan to report the incident of the spy camera to the police, as well as the theft, and write to the hotel emphasising that this breach of privacy is unacceptable and the hotel's failure to properly investigate and address the issue is deeply concerning. The fact that I requested security checks to ensure my safety in the early hours was reasonable, yet their response to ban from the premises was excessive and even possibly discriminatory as I had revealed to them that I had been a victim of a hate crime given my sexuality. . I am seeking compensation for the infringement of my privacy, the lack of proper investigation, and the being humiliated and made to feel like an undesirable. I will request a full refund of my two-night stay totaling £390. Additionally, I will request compensation for the cost of my previous stay when the infringement occurred, which was £220. I am also considering damages for the infringement of my privacy but at a loss as to what this would equate to. I will close the letter giving them a 14 day timeframe to respond.    Is there anything you feel i need to consider here? Many thanks   
    • oF course, this is all just the start. trump is dragging it out as much as possible hoping to pardon himself, but the barrier the yanks had about admitting that a pres could be such a piece of err work has been broken and there is many more to come. His current criminal charges are extremely unlikely to result in jail time or anything other than fines  - but with some of the other charges - jail is pretty much mandatory - especially for one not only not on a first offense - but with others stacked up
    • Indeed, it’s all up to date at the moment and no missed payments and no issues from a credit file perspective everything is up to date in that sense 
    • follow it thru, plenty of time to poss arrange a tomlin or consent later on. ............   pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/466952-lowelloverdales-claimform-old-cap1-debt/?do=findComment&comment=5260464 .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .. get a CCA Request running to the claimant . https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/ .. Leave the £1 PO unsigned and uncrossed . get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ . .use our other CPR letter if the claim is for an OD or Telecom Debt or Util debt]  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ on BOTH type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] .............. dx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

European citizen resident in UK 30 years denied benefits

Spring blues
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've just been to the JC to sign on as usual,

asked for a letter confirming receipt off JSA

and was told I'm no longer in receipt as it has "just gone over 6 months".

Apparently you can only claim for 6 months as a EU citizen

but when I started my claim I was told that didn't apply in this case as it was for new migrants.

I did the HRT interview showed proof of residence for the last three months as required

but tenancy agreement is 7 years old and date of first arrival in UK is 1984!

I had my old passport issued in London in 2003, worked in the City since 97,

only claimed for a year after the credit crunch,

then worked 4 years non stop.

Have paid taxes and worked in UK all my life,

how can they do this?

Have applied for over 100 jobs and had interviews,

even an upcoming one so not exact intending to live off the system.

In fact they agreed to pay for my travel to this interview so they know about it.

When I argued they booked me an interview at the JC in 10 days' time.

How can they do this just because I didn't apply for a British passport?

It costs £950 and all these years EU citizens had much the same rights.

I understand the idea of. Ot wanting people to come here to live off the state

but I came here in the 80s and paid my taxes, etc.

hardly ever claimed anything other than during the crunch.

The CABs are all short staffed and wouldn't see me, any help and advice most welcome!

Many thanks

Income based as I was invoicing as a limited company in my last job, but they know all that.

They never even send a letter or anything. Got a letter end of Jan I think saying something about having more money than law says I need to live on which I couldn't understand so I rang the processing office that sent it, they said it has been sent with the wrong code and there was nothing to worry about, they checked on the computer.

Went to sign on two weeks ago and there was no mention of anything, nor have I received anything in writing.

Edited by Spring blues

You should challenge (mandatory reconsideration) the decision on the basis that you have permanent residence status due to having resided in the UK as a 'qualified person' for at least 5 years. You will be asked to prove your working history and any periods you supported yourself independently.

After you have successfully challenged the decision, you may find it worthwhile applying to the home office for a permanent residence card which will make future claims easier.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

So you're an ex-City worker, what are you doing at the Jobcentre? You sound like you have £k's sitting in your ltd. Don't you City boys usually regard the unemployed as peasants who need neutering?

• Sad 1

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

So you're an ex-City worker, what are you doing at the Jobcentre? You sound like you have £k's sitting in your ltd. Don't you City boys usually regard the unemployed as peasants who need neutering?

Em...is there some particular reason you felt the need to make this post? We're here to help people, not to insult them because of their past occupations.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes completely unnecessary, we don't attack people because of their jobs, whatever it was. Everyone is entitled to advice......well I might draw the line at Ian Duncan Smith!

Also in this case, the way I read it you're also probably incorrect - they are talking about working in London the city, for all you know they could be tube driver.

• Confused 1

Yes completely unnecessary, we don't attack people because of their jobs, whatever it was. Everyone is entitled to advice......well I might draw the line at Ian Duncan Smith!

Also in this case, the way I read it you're also probably incorrect - they are talking about working in London the city, for all you know they could be tube driver.

Read the OP well. He said he "was invoicing as a limited company". He employed himself through his ltd, so me might have paid himself peanuts and have left all the money sitting in his ltd.

This is a common trick in the contractors' world. The DWP are daft enough that they don't investigate outside the realm of personal income.

Ok to help people, but those who genuinely need it, not City contractors who make millions.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Read the OP well. He said he "was invoicing as a limited company". He employed himself through his ltd, so me might have paid himself peanuts and have left all the money sitting in his ltd.

This is a common trick in the contractors' world. The DWP are daft enough that they don't investigate outside the realm of personal income.

Ok to help people, but those who genuinely need it, not City contractors who make millions.

You know, I don't really care. I don't make a judgement on whether someone is worthy of my help before I assist them - that's too much like Tory thinking for my liking.

You answer what you want to, if you don't want to help, just keep quiet.

You know, I don't really care. I don't make a judgement on whether someone is worthy of my help before I assist them - that's too much like Tory thinking for my liking.

You answer what you want to, if you don't want to help, just keep quiet.

Hear, hear.

Tried to give some rep but I have to spread it around first.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I know, right? This forum is overwhelmed by millionaires seeking advice on how best to screw the government out of £72.40 or so per week.

Seriously, though, if you thought I was inviting a debate on this topic, you misread my post. Help or say nothing - civility is not optional here.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 1 month later...

I shall ignore all those irrelevant comments posted by people who haven't got a clue what they are talking about and give an update for the sake of the CAG community, with my thanks to those who helped.

At the time I posted on here I wasn't in possession of any written documents stating the reason why my claim had stopped, so I couldn't apply for mandatory reconsideration. I was made to attend a 'genuine prospect of work' interview at the Jobcentre. I went armed with piles of paperwork including emails from recruiters, proof of interviews, etc. They didn't want to look at anything and it was just whatever came up on their computer screens, starting with whether I had a job offer. I'd have thought it I had one I'd have notified them and would not be claiming for much longer. Then if I had done a course. Hardly the same as a job offer....

Then came a question as to whether I had taken any steps to become self-employed, started a business or registered a company. I replied yes to that one, then came the date of registration. 2008 I said. Had I informed HMRC and Companies House about it, yes, I've been submitting accounts since then. Then came questions about why I was claiming if I had a business, etc. I argued that I'd been in this country for 30 years and showed a letter that refers to my NIC record, dated 2010, and I had another pile of paper showing what I'd been doing since 2010. They were not interested and just made a note under "other comments".

They told me it would all go back to the processing centre and I may not hear before I was due to sign on the following week. The day before I was due, I got a letter merely stating "You are currently not required to pass the genuine prospect of work due to you having an alternative right to reside". It was dated the day after the interview, I guess they took one quick look and saw that, if I had actually been filing accounts since 2008, then I must have been living here at least since then (and I'm also still at the same address, which happens to be the registered office). A lot of time and hassle would have been saved have they asked about he last five years rather than the last three months on the day of the Habitual Residence Test at the start of the claim, but those DWP advisors are just puppets of the computer systems that tell them what to ask for.

I hope this is useful for anyone in a similar position.

:Spring blues:

Thanx for coming back to us with an update. I, for one, know very little about residency issues but I know a bit more now. :-) And I'm sure your story will help others who're searching for info on the same issues.

Best of luck with the job hunt, Margaret.

Clearly you are unaware that tube drivers earn over £50k per year and have 37 days annual leave, free travel for them and partner, final salary scheme, fully paid sickness, access to company gyms and occupational health including physiotherapists and one of the best pension ever existed.

Many people wish they were "just" tube drivers...

Can I jump in this thread? I'm also interested in this topic. To the OP, Springblue, did you have to order and/or show the permanent residence card or certificate? I'm trying to fill the form myself and it's very difficult to fill. A solicitor has asked me £500 to fill the residence certificate form. Any information will be appreciated.

Hi Gioppino

You may want to start your own thread. You can post a link here so the OP can give info on your issue.

Means other people can see your problem and assist better

Regards

SS

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi Gioppino

You may want to start your own thread. You can post a link here so the OP can give info on your issue.

Means other people can see your problem and assist better

Regards

SS

I'll surely do, but I still think it's important to know if the OP had to hand out any certificate to solve his/her problem or the DWP just accepted his evidence at face value, because this might affect my own case.

• 1 year later...

Sorry about "bumping" your forum. I am posting a reply to Gioppino and Spring blues, but more importantly to any future readers with similar trouble. Also, my reply only applies to people with "permanent resident" status, EEA nationals acquire this status automatically after living in any EEA host country legally for continuous period of 5 years. I will also use a DMG abbreviation which stands for "Decision Makers' Guide".

To Gioppino: As of now, authorities cannot legally require you to present permanent residency certificate (PR card is for non EEA nationals). To prove my point, please Google "DMG 073429". But you still might pursue one as it is requirement for application for British Naturalisation, it also should make your future dealings with authorities faster and easier. The certificate costs £65 as of July 2016

To Spring blues: Your statement "Apparently you can only claim for 6 months as a EU citizen" is false in your case. That is routine DWP statement. You as a Permanent Resident in UK have to be treated on the same terms as UK national. UK nationals do not have such restrictions.

To prove my point, please Google "EEA nationals: the ‘right to reside’ requirement for benefits" and download the PDF from government webpage, the part that is relevant to you is this: "Standard Note: SN/SP/5972, Last updated: 5 December 2011, Author: Steven Kennedy, Section Social Policy Section: EEA nationals who have ‘resided legally’ in the UK for a continuous period of five years (or less in certain circumstances) acquire a permanent right of residence and have access to benefits and tax credits on the same terms as UK nationals."

Now because you have not been treated as an UK national normally would, the DWP was in fact directly discriminating against you. To prove my point, please Google "DMG 070220", you will find this: " Any discrimination on the grounds of nationality is Forbidden, 1. A person is entitled to SS benefits under the same conditions as a national of a country if that person is ....". DWP is very commonly discriminating against people with Permanent Residency status, for example by asking them to attend GPoW assessment.

Again to prove my point, the rules for GPoW test are in "DMG 073080": "This paragraph will not apply to anyone with a right to reside other than as a jobseeker or person retaining worker status (see DMG 073234 et seq)". Permanent Residence status is the OTHER right to reside. This is not to be confused with HRT (Habitual Residence Test), everyone, including UK nationals have to pass this test.

I do understand this reply will not help you, it is too late now, but I hope it will help others with similar problems.

Mike

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.