Lost money in Post office while depositing cash and want some advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3590 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

About two weeks ago I went to my local post office and deposited £40 into my cooperative bank account.

Here I was so confident and comfortable and trustful dealing with post office. I gave two £20 pounds note £40 in total to deposit into my coop bank account.

I inserted my card into reading machine and then I was asked to enter my pin code.

And here we go. All done. I took my card out of the reader and said thanks and was going to turn around but she said, do you want the receipt for this transaction? I used this service before and normally I do not ask for receipt as I trust Post Office due to its reputation and trust among people. But this time somehow I said OK. I took the receipt and went back home.

Next morning I was checking my account but I noticed £80 less in my account and found that the deposit I made was shown Withdraw instead of deposit. I checked the receipt and it shows cash withdraw of £40. I got really shocked and went back to the post office. There is only one person works in this post office. So I asked her what happened to my transaction and showed her the receipt she gave me. She asked me if I entered my pin in the card reader? I said yes I did? She said well her till was fine with no difference. I should talk to Post Office or to my bank.

Now its been two weeks I have notified Post office. I was transferred to a person who works between Post office and Cooperative bank. She said that they will investigate the matter.

Today after me sending them few reminders I got the answer from them saying that they cannot do anything as post office staff said that her till and paperwork was fine. They advice me to go back to that Post Office and talk to them again. i went and she said the same thing that her paperwork was fine. She never said that I did not gave her the money. She is saying that her paper work is fine with square till.

In this whole process I have lost £80 which i was hopping to pay some bill but ended up losing £80 plus bank charges around £50 from my bank. Can please someone advice me what to do next?

I am not blaming anybody but something did went wrong but I am the victim here and why should I pay for something which I shouldn't pay? I heard from my sources (locals) that same thing happened before and the same staff member was involved.

In the end the bank ended up paying for that victim. Right in front of the post office there is a old people home. I have some terrible feelings but maybe I am taking it too serious. Please please advice.

I work hard to earn this money and I want to spend it on something useful for me. Where the money went? Where should I go next? Police? Financial Ombudsman? Thanks

can you please use the edit post icon at the bottom of your above post

and add some blank lines and sentences.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello everyone,

About two weeks ago I went to my local post office and deposited £40 into my cooperative bank account. Here I was so confident and comfortable and trustful dealing with post office. I gave two £20 pounds note £40 in total to deposit into my coop bank account. I inserted my card into reading machine and then I was asked to enter my pin code. And here we go. All done. I took my card out of the reader and said thanks and was going to turn around but she said, do you want the receipt for this transaction? I used this service before and normally I do not ask for receipt as I trust Post Office due to its reputation and trust among people. But this time somehow I said OK. I took the receipt and went back home. Next morning I was checking my account but I noticed £80 less in my account and found that the deposit I made was shown Withdraw instead of deposit. I checked the receipt and it shows cash withdraw of £40. I got really shocked and went back to the post office. There is only one person works in this post office. So I asked her what happened to my transaction and showed her the receipt she gave me. She asked me if I entered my pin in the card reader? I said yes I did? She said well her till was fine with no difference. I should talk to Post Office or to my bank.

No its been two weeks I have notified Post office. I was transferred to a person who works between Post office and Cooperative bank. She said that they will investigate the matter. Today after me sending them few reminders I got the answer from them saying that they cannot do anything as post office staff said that her till and paperwork was fine. They advice me to go back to that Post Office and talk to them again. i went and she said the same thing that her paperwork was fine. She never said that I did not gave her the money. She is saying that her paper work is fine with square till. In this whole process I have lost £80 which i was hopping to pay some bill but ended up losing £80 plus bank charges around £50 from my bank. Can please someone advice me what to do next? I am not blaming anybody but something did went wrong but I am the victim here and why should I pay for something which I shouldn't pay? I heard from my sources that same thing happened before and the same staff member was involved. At the end the bank ended up paying for that victim. Right in front of the post office there is a old people home. I have some terrible feelings but maybe I am taking it too serious. Please please advice. I work hard to earn this money and I want to spend it on something useful for me. Where the money went? Where should I go next? Police? Financial Ombudsman? Thanks

You could make a Subject Access Request and force the post office to supply you with a copy of their CCTV which will show you handing over £40 to the cashier. If you decide to do this, you should act quick since it is probable that the CCTV is only held for upto 4 weeks.

Once you have a copy of the CCTV, you can then escalate your complaint further along with your proof.

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

Thank you so much, it sound like a good idea. But what if they do not have the CCTV camera working? I do know that one cctv camera is installed right on top of the counter.

can you please use the edit post icon at the bottom of your above post

and add some blank lines and sentences.

dx

Thanks all done

Hello everyone,

About two weeks ago I went to my local post office and deposited £40 into my cooperative bank account.

Here I was so confident and comfortable and trustful dealing with post office. I gave two £20 pounds note £40 in total to deposit into my coop bank account.

I inserted my card into reading machine and then I was asked to enter my pin code.

And here we go. All done. I took my card out of the reader and said thanks and was going to turn around but she said, do you want the receipt for this transaction? I used this service before and normally I do not ask for receipt as I trust Post Office due to its reputation and trust among people. But this time somehow I said OK. I took the receipt and went back home.

Next morning I was checking my account but I noticed £80 less in my account and found that the deposit I made was shown Withdraw instead of deposit. I checked the receipt and it shows cash withdraw of £40. I got really shocked and went back to the post office. There is only one person works in this post office. So I asked her what happened to my transaction and showed her the receipt she gave me. She asked me if I entered my pin in the card reader? I said yes I did? She said well her till was fine with no difference. I should talk to Post Office or to my bank.

Now its been two weeks I have notified Post office. I was transferred to a person who works between Post office and Cooperative bank. She said that they will investigate the matter.

Today after me sending them few reminders I got the answer from them saying that they cannot do anything as post office staff said that her till and paperwork was fine. They advice me to go back to that Post Office and talk to them again. i went and she said the same thing that her paperwork was fine. She never said that I did not gave her the money. She is saying that her paper work is fine with square till.

In this whole process I have lost £80 which i was hopping to pay some bill but ended up losing £80 plus bank charges around £50 from my bank. Can please someone advice me what to do next?

I am not blaming anybody but something did went wrong but I am the victim here and why should I pay for something which I shouldn't pay? I heard from my sources (locals) that same thing happened before and the same staff member was involved.

In the end the bank ended up paying for that victim. Right in front of the post office there is a old people home. I have some terrible feelings but maybe I am taking it too serious. Please please advice.

I work hard to earn this money and I want to spend it on something useful for me. Where the money went? Where should I go next? Police? Financial Ombudsman? Thanks

Same thing happened to me but the PO admitted the till was up. I would go back to the co-op bank and ask to speak to their fraud department or failing any luck with them, try the police.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

No I did not used the pin. I was bit surprise about it as well but thought may be they have changed their policy. I did called the police today and I was given number for fraud department. I will call them first thing in the morning. This whole thing need to be investigated. I just want to know what exactly happened. They should have cctv footage me giving the cash unless they run the video in reverse mode.

I also called my bank about the charges and they said that I have to pay them and investigation is over. It is really wrong. I am very upset about it. Thing is if the receipt said withdraw they will take it as withdraw. Only CCTV can tell what had actually happened.

Hi epman

Regarding the bank charges.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (error by Post Office or theft, you don't know yet, but the police are investigating), how they have let you down (not refunding charges) and what you want them to do (refund charges). In the letter state the police reference number. State the following in your letter:-

Co-op are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Co-op has to adhere to a set of legally binding key principles laid down in the Conduct of Business Sourcebook. Co-op has treated me unfairly under the following COBS Principle:-

Principle 6 - Customers' interests - A firm must pay due regard to the interests of its customers and treat them fairly.

Send it to:-

Mr Niall Booker

Cheif Executive

Co-op Bank

[email protected]

Regarding the incident:-

Also send a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (paid into account), how they have let you down (Post Office error or theft, police investigating) and what you want them to do (investigate the matter / refund).

Ms Paula Vennells

Chief Executive

Post Office

paula.vennells@postoffice .co.uk

Let us know what they say.

Regarding the incident:-

Also send a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (paid into account), how they have let you down (Post Office error or theft, police investigating) and what you want them to do (investigate the matter / refund).

Ms Moya Greene

Chief Executive

Royal Mail

[email protected]

Let us know what they say.

The Post office is no longer a subsidiary of Royal Mail, so I'm not sure emailing Moya Greene will do much good. The top bod at PO is Paula Vennells and I would guess that her email is [email protected]

Thank you for that. I saw Paula Vennells giving the Beeb a tour of a Post Office some months ago too.

The Post office is no longer a subsidiary of Royal Mail, so I'm not sure emailing Moya Greene will do much good. The top bod at PO is Paula Vennells and I would guess that her email is [email protected]

I also have a Coop account and can confirm that when depositing money you only need to say "Yes" to the amount deposited. It seems to me that the PO assistant has put this through as a withdrawal instead. You will need to take this further and ask to speak to the PO's Regional Manager as if the assistant was being truthful when balancing the days figures should have had a surplus of £80, if met by the proverbial brick wall you should suggest you may contact the PO Security Team and/or Auditors about the Branch in question.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]