HSBC giving my Bank details to Marlin for Direct Debit

schampignon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3649 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HSBC letter advises me my small debt being passed to Marlin. (OK) Letter alswo says Marlin will set up direct debit from details passed to them by HSBC and I do not need to authorise it! Surely this is illegal and tantamount to fraud.

I complained by phone and advised them they were not to divulge my Bank details. I have now also cancelled my direct debit to HSBC.

Which bodies can I refer this practice to?

I think that you should refer this directly to the FCA if you can and also to the CAB and ask them to pass it on to Trading Standards. I would also write a letter of complaint to the Information Commissioner

It does seem completely wrong.

I think that you need also to give a written instruction that they are not to pay any direct debits to Marlins or indeed any other direct debits which are not directly authorised by you

Sadly, I think they haven't done much wrong...

I think we've heard this before... As they honour the payment plan, I don't think they have acted outside the box

But then again... It does seem incredibly wrong...

HSBC letter advises me my small debt being passed to Marlin. (OK) Letter alswo says Marlin will set up direct debit from details passed to them by HSBC and I do not need to authorise it! Surely this is illegal and tantamount to fraud.

I complained by phone and advised them they were not to divulge my Bank details. I have now also cancelled my direct debit to HSBC.

Which bodies can I refer this practice to?

The only information needed to setup a Direct Debit is your sort code and account number. That is NOT confidential information.

I suspect that the letter doesn't quite word it as you have described. Perhaps you can upload a copy of it.

Even if it does, it may be not be inline with Direct Debit Scheme rules and procedures but it is certainly not illegal.