• Tweets

• I saw a headline about the UK ignoring European laws on cleanliness of water, can't find the article atm. As government climate plan ruled unlawful, Tories hand out fossil fuel bonanza - Good Law Project GOODLAWPROJECT.ORG Firms are set to cash in on a tranche of licences to look for oil and gas in the North Sea, handed out on the same day the High Court ruled ministers’ plan...  
    • yet another Brexitish failure   England set to miss post-Brexit targets to clean up rivers by 2027 INEWS.CO.UK Nearly 80 per cent of England's rivers, lakes and coastal waters may fail to reach a 'good' standard by 2027, a post-Brexit watchdog warns  
    • No. The defence is different. Their defence paragraph 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 – for the first time makes reference to an alleged term between the Packlink/EVRi contract which apparently specifically excludes the effect of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999. If this is true then it is very likely that they will have closed that loophole because the 1999 act specifically allows itself to be excluded by an express term within the principal contract I think that you will have to do ask the court to require them to provide evidence by way of presenting their contract and also the date that this new amendment was inserted. I understand that your claim refers to an item which was lost a year or so ago. These give us the date. We would certainly want to know that this amendment predates the date when you first contracted with Packlink to send the item. I would want to say to the court that in the absence of their willingness to confirm with evidence the date that this contractual amendment was made, that the court should assume that this was a recent amendment and was therefore not in force at the time you made your contract. We have third-party defences on this sub- forum which are fairly recent and there has been no mention of this exclusion of the 1999 act. I think we can take it that this is something that they have put together very recently. Secondly, even if they want to exclude your third party rights, it does not absolve them from the negligent handling of your item and in respect of an action for negligence you have first party rights. You don't have to rely on third party rights – although of course, you didn't allege negligence in your original claim. We didn't advise you to do so. Maybe shortsightedly we didn't foresee this contractual amendment. Of course assuming that this contractual amendment is true – although I expect it has only been added recently – what they are saying here is that nobody in the United Kingdom who makes any contract with any parcel delivery company using Packlink will have the right to bring a claim for lost or damaged or even stolen parcels. These people have lost their moral compass. It is shabby treatment of ordinary customers who pay their money and who repose their trust in these parcel delivery companies. No wonder that the Paralegal Children are now ashamed to sign off these documents with their own names. In terms of parcel tracking information – apparently it has been destroyed according to their own data protection policy. That's their business. It's got nothing to do with you and they can't use this to frustrate the six year limitation for bring a breach of contract action or the three-year limitation period for bringing an action in negligence or other tort. There reference once again to the exclusion of the 1999 Act but this time apparently in the contract between you and Packlink – is irrelevant because the exclusion has to be in the commercial contract between Packlink and EVRi – which they have referred to in their paragraph 2.7 et cetera of their defence. I'm assuming that you propose to go ahead with this case. Please let us know when you respond and we will go forward. In the meantime, I suggest that you write a letter to EVRi. Referred to their paragraph 2.7 et cetera and asked them for a copy of the contract and confirmation of the date on which the exclusion of third party rights term was included in it. Tell EVRi that if they do not answer or if they refuse that this will be brought to the attention of the judge. Tell them also that you notice that they say that they have destroyed data in line with their data protection policy. Inform them that they do not appear to have disclosed this data protection policy to their customers. Please will they forward you a copy of it and once again if they failed to respond or if they refuse that you will bring this to the attention of the judge as well. I suggest that you post a draft of the letter here so we can have a look    
    • Good morning dx100UK Could I send the update to you privately? Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cabot Financial/goldfish/brclaycard

comino51
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I put my alleged account with Cabot into dispute last November 2009

when they could not supply me with the original documents that were with Goldfish.

They said that they would keep account on hold until they could provide these, that was January 2010

the last letter from them. Received letter yesterday as though I was a new customer

thanking me for my payment (have not paid since last year)

and asking for me to set up a repayment plan with them.

Noticed that they have added almost £2,000 in interest in 13 months when Account in dispute,

and they had agreed to hold interest payments.

What should I do next?

The muppets cannot add interest or charges unless it is specifically stated in your original credit agreement. Personally I would disregard their latest missive and wait for them to send something of interest. They are probably just trying to get you to contact them.

I have told them in the past that they cannot add interest but they keep coming up with no end of reasons why they can.

When Goldfish sold out to Barclaycard I was already on a repayment plan as I had lost my job,

it had been defaulted and I was paying a fixed payment with their agreement.

Barclaycard obviously did not take over their accounts that were not making them any money and sold them all to Cabot.

I continued paying this fixed sum for some time,

when Cabot suddenly started charging interest with no notice or explanation, only that they could!!!

That was when I started chasing them for all of my original agreements, only to discover that they did not have them.

I put the account into dispute, and they said they would put on hold until they found paperwork.

I had a lot of help off this site and followed it to the letter.

no communication from them for ten months,

then out of the blue this nice!!!!!!! letter.

Whether it was in my original credit agreement or not,

they have not got it,

and the account had already been defaulted by Goldfish.

I think i will wait and see what they say next.

They can add what they like but at the end of the day they can't take any enforcement action.

If by some miracle they do manage to find the original CCA and it is enforceable then you can then start to dispute any charges or interest they've added.

No, they tried to put it on, but I stopped that right at the start. It was Goldfish when I signed up for the card, I don't know if Morgan Stanley was before or after that, and then it was Barclays who took over, so I think that my paperwork is well and truly lost by know!

had another letter from Cabot today,

informing me that they have recently taken over my account from Goldfish!!!!!!

They did that two years ago! and that if I did not contact them about a repayment programme they would take it to the next level of collection.

They are completely ignoring the fact that they have been in communication with me for two years and put my account on

hold because I put it into dispute awaiting the CCA.

What should I do know, shall I writie and enlighten them of previous correspondence?

just proves computer generated template rubbish? like a threatogram from water company I am in arrears of £79 on a paid up account, when rang so sorry but you pay weekly and lowered amount, but a review in 2 weeks time, your account is at £0.00, new amount weekly adjusted (to my figure) proves just no human contact initially to letters sent.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

It never ceases to amaze. I can keep fighting them as long as they cannot come up with the CCA, but really do not want all of the hassle and unpleasentness, just wish I could find a way of sorting it out once and for all.

You have joined many on here with the same issues with cabot/goldfish/morgan stanley etc, including myself, personally, after a long drawn out postal argument i refused to correspond any further, and still have threats in the post but nothing else, after another 3 years it will be stat barred anyway, so cant wait!!

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

It has been 18 months know since I requested my CCA,

they have said they cannot provide it, and put the account on hold themselves.

I have it in dispute, and know that they will keep trying.

The only thing that really worries me is the interest they keep adding every month,

they are adding over £100 monthly.

I really appreciate all of the help I have from this site,

I don't know if it is a comfort or not to know others are in the same position,

but at least we can all fight together and see what happens.

I will probably go to my grave with Cabot chasing me!!!

Don't get into a game of letter tennis with Cabot. Its pointless. Just ignor them and let them waste their money.

If they were really a threat they would have done something already other than sending the same old letters.

I did that before but with very clever manipulation with the letters that I sent,

I managed to get one or two direct promises in writing,

one of them being that when they get the CCA for me and repayments start again,

they will completely remove all interest that has been added to the account,

and put future payments on zero interest.

I have to date about 40 letters from them, which has built up a case of their incompetency.

I did this so that I have enough background evidence if it ever did go further.

I did not hear anything from them for 10 months, and as shown above they have started writing again as if I am a complete new customer.

I have sent them a reply, just referring them back to all past correspondence,

and that still on hold and in dispute. Will wait to see what their next response will be.

Thats very likely true. Will wait to see wether they have managed to change the old rubbish they had in their last lot of letters. Will be interesting to see if they still acknowledge that the alleged account is on hold!

Reply back from Cabot yesterday.

Shortest one I have ever received.

"Please contact our offices urgently where our very helpful advisors are here to help come up with a solution to repaying your account."

I had highlighted every point made over the past two years in my letter to them,

stating that they had broken the deadlines for supplying CCA,

they had put account on hold, and I had put account in dispute.

I stated that they obviously had not got any of my requested paperwork and were unable to obtain this,

so as it was unenforcable the account should be written off!

Thought I would try it to see what they said, and they have said very little.

Anyone had this, and what is the expected next step!!

Reply back from Cabot yesterday. Shortest one I have ever received. "Please contact our offices urgently where our very helpful advisors are here to help come up with a solution to repaying your account."

I had highlighted every point made over the past two years in my letter to them, stating that they had broken the deadlines for supplying CCA, they had put account on hold, and I had put account in dispute. I stated that they obviously had not got any of my requested paperwork and were unable to obtain this, so as it was unenforcable the account should be written off! Thought I would try it to see what they said, and they have said very little.

Anyone had this, and what is the expected next step!!

You will probably get passed to FIRE next, another one of their companies and then you will go thro the cycle of nice/nasty letters i.e. "once and only offer, so much percentage off" then pay up or else", this is what has been going on with my OH's account and now they have passed it to Phillips DCA/Bailiffs, sent them "I am bemused letter" back again few days later "pay up or the boys are coming to get ya" now I've CCA'd them. Well done so far, as has been said tho' mostly don't communicate with them unless you want (as you are doing) to tie them up in knots.

• 4 weeks later...

Received today my latest letter from Cabot.

All of a sudden they have all of the details from my haggling with them for the past two years.

This is a transcript of their latest letter;

I understand that you previously made a request for a copy of your credit agreement under section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA)

However you have not received a response and you have received letters regarding the collection of this debt.

Initially please be advised that the failure to provide a copy of your agreement in time does not affect the legality of your debt with the Cabot Financial Group,

but merely renders the credit agreement unenforcable until such time the agreement can be produced.

It has been established in English Law that enforcement constitutes obtaining a judgement at court.

The reporting of a default entry to the Credit Reference Agencies or Cabot requesting repayment of your account does not amount to enforcement.

Furthermore the fact that you have not received relevent documentation in response to your request in no way relinquishes you from your obligations

to repay the monies you have borrowed under the agreement.

The last payment you made to this account was April 2009

which means that since this date you have breached the terms of your agreement and interest has subsequently been applied to the outstanding balance.

Notwithstanding the above,

I note from previous correspondence that my colleague has agreed to write off any interest applied

whilst you consider your account to be in dispute.

We shall of course honour this offer once the relevent documentation has been obtained.

However, as set out above, you remain legally obliged to make repayments towards this debt whilst we await receipt of a copy of your credit agreement,

and interest is due to be applied on a monthly basis in accordance with the terms of your agreement.

Our offer to you regarding the interest applied is therefore a gesture of goodwill to assist you in resolving this outstanding account.

In light of the above, we still recommend that you contact us to make repayments to your account, and on receipt of the relevent documentation we will supply you with the same.

I trust that I have set out our position clearly,

Yours etc etc.

For a start I put the account into dispute in April 2009 because they had started applying interest in October 2008

and was receiving no joy from them as to why they had started doing this.

When the account appeared with them from Goldfish they stated that I had to do nothing just keep with the same agreement I had had with Goldfish,

which was all interest had stopped and a monthly payment as the account had been defaulted and gone to collections!

I have been waiting for them to produce my agreement since February 2009 and nothing since, but they have added about £2,500 in interest in that time.

Anyone else had this, and what is the next step?

• 3 years later...

I have had help from this site in the past re Cabot and it has worked very well.

I had a Goldfish credit card balance of £10k

which right out of the blue was sold to Cabot when they sold Goldfish to Barclaycard,

I was making temporary low payments at the time due to being on a four day week and this was defaulted as a result.

I was not consulted just got rid off!

Cabot kept my payments the same so everything went along as normal for about 8 months

when they started to add over £110 a month interest onto an account that I was paying £60 per month on.

This was were I had help from this site.

I sent all paperwork requesting SAR etc, nothing was forthcoming,

they eventually ran out of the stated time limit and they put the account on hold, I also put it into dispute.

Cutting a long story short I have not heard anything from them since November 2008

so it is fair to say they cannot find any paperwork for me at all.

However I have recently obtained my credit report to see if they are reporting anything,

and low and behold there is a report showing that I make no payments at all and

up to end of 2012 they are showing a balance of £16k, no default time limit,

it reads as though they have had the debt since 1998 which is incorrect it was 2007,

and nothing to say that this account is on hold or in dispute,

and obviously they are continuing to put on interest.

This is really concerning me, and could do with some advice of what my next step should really be.

Will this report come off my file after six years or will it continue?

I thought that interest was not applied to a defaulted debt.

this was defaulted by Goldfish, and Cabot say that I am in default also.

Anyone had anything similar?

The default will auto drop off six years after they placed it on there.

Let them add all the interest they want, as if this agreement was terminated then they can't add anything as it no longer exists.

You can always add a 'notice of correction' to your credit file stating that the amount is seriously disputed and is incorrect, or something like that.

And don't forget, that this is YOUR credit file, so if the CRA is reporting something which is factually incorrect, then they have a legal obligation to ensure it is corrected and immediately!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

did the defaulted date that marbles put on get changed?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

there is no default date showing on the credit file at all,

it just shows account started 6.4.98 which is probably when I took out the goldfish card,

does not give any other information other than it was a credit card, date it started, credit limit O, and with the amount increasing month on month with the figure 6 by it,

which reading my file, shows that this is 6 months behind payment.

Strange as I have not paid anything on this account since 2008 when it was put on hold.

I have all correspondence that I have had with them,

and they have stated that it is unenforceable because they cannot find the credit agreement.

in post 2 you said it had been defaulted?

When Goldfish sold out to Barclaycard I was already on a repayment planlink3.gif as I had lost my job,

it had been defaulted and I was paying a fixed payment with their agreement.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...