Spam email delivered to address used SOLELY for registering with CAG

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I use different email addresses for different sites (e.g. for this one it's consumeractiongroup@*****.plus.com) so I can identify, if spammed, where my address has been harvested from.

Look what I received today:-

To: consumeractiongroup

Subject: [-SPAM-] RoyalMail: Lost / Missing package

Royal Mail

Mail - Lost / Missing package - UK Customs and Border Protection

Royal Mail has detained your package for some reason (for example, lack of a proper invoice, bill of sale, or other documentation, a possible trademark violation, or if the package requires a formal entry) the RM International Mail Branch holding it will notify you of the reason for detention (in writing) and how you can get it released.

Please fulfil the documents attached.

Yes folks, it looks like the email address list of CAG may have been harvested by spammers and sc ammers, because I doubt they'd just happen across that address by accident.

Could be that the email was used a long time ago, the address got harvested, then the email was deleted. Now its back, the botnets start up again.

Or it could simply be a lucky phisher.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

As I said, that particular address was only used to register on these forums (back in November 2010). I wouldn't use need to use consumeractiongroup@*****.plus.com anywhere else, I'd use anywhereelse@*****.plus.com for that.

But just to add - yes we have been hacked more than once in the past.

We do our best but we have very few resources.

It doesn't make me feel any better to say it - but maybe you will understand what a problem it is, when I say that even Martin Lewis' MSE was hacked not so long ago - and they are hugely well resourced - so I'm afraid that we are probably no worse - nor any better than anyone else.

We really are sorry for the inconvenience which it causes to people.

We have had a few emails accusing us of selling your data. I'm pleased that no one in this thread has even hinted at the possiblity.

In fact - if Google and Yahoo get hacked - then I don't think that anyone else stands much of a chance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25213846

More than two million stolen passwords used for sites such as Facebook, Google and Yahoo and other web services have been posted online.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks