Stupid Mistake

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I work in an office and stupidly borrowed some money from the accounts safe with no authorisation and had every intention of paying it back. I had 75% of it today to replace. I have went into work and I have been found out and now have been suspended on full pay. I have admitted i took the money and did not deny it and paid the money I had and said I will pay remainder this week.

I am worried in losing my job, I have no one to talk too as I feel too embarrassed to discuss with my family...... I would like any advice is to what I can say in my disciplinary meeting, I am unsure when this takes place, I am waiting for a letter

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there.

I expect the forum guys will be along later with advice for you. I just wanted to ask if you have a copy of the company's disciplinary procedures please? Some of your questions might be answered in that, or at least the information would help the people trying to advise.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi

I work in an office and stupidly borrowed some money from the accounts safe with no authorisation and had every intention of paying it back. I had 75% of it today to replace. I have went into work and I have been found out and now have been suspended on full pay. I have admitted i took the money and did not deny it and paid the money I had and said I will pay remainder this week.

I am worried in losing my job, I have no one to talk too as I feel too embarrassed to discuss with my family...... I would like any advice is to what I can say in my disciplinary meeting, I am unsure when this takes place, I am waiting for a letter

Thanks

Looking from the business's point of view : this is misconduct.

Your aim should be "damage limitation" in so far as to get them to see that you didn't intend to keep the money (so as to avoid any suggestion of it being 'theft'), while also aiming for them to regard it as misconduct (where you could expect a written warning) rather than 'gross misconduct' where they might dismiss you regardless of how long you have been employed there.

Many businesses would regard this as gross misconduct : if you have access to the contents of the safe that is a "position of trust", and they may feel "the trust has gone".

Are there circumstances that might explain if your actions were "out of character" for you?

How long have you been employed there?

On what scale (tens, hundreds, thousands etc.) was the sum you availed yourself of?

Are you in a union?.

Looking from the business's point of view : this is misconduct.

Your aim should be "damage limitation" in so far as to get them to see that you didn't intend to keep the money (so as to avoid any suggestion of it being 'theft'), while also aiming for them to regard it as misconduct (where you could expect a written warning) rather than 'gross misconduct' where they might dismiss you regardless of how long you have been employed there.

Many businesses would regard this as gross misconduct : if you have access to the contents of the safe that is a "position of trust", and they may feel "the trust has gone".

Are there circumstances that might explain if your actions were "out of character" for you?

How long have you been employed there?

On what scale (tens, hundreds, thousands etc.) was the sum you availed yourself of?

Are you in a union?.

Hi

I have worked with the company 25 months, (just over 2 years. Amount taken was £500..... And no Im not in a Union

Hi indistress,

well at least you fessed up and paid back most of the money straightaway. That's something!

When I was in the office and I admitted straight away and didnt try and lie about it. I said I had the money there and they took it off me

Why did u borrow the money ? If it was for a personal reason, I would just explain that and you feel embarassed that you didn't go through the correct channels. Feel ashamed and sincere that it was an error of judgement rather then an act of criminal intent..

Yeah for a personal reason, I was in a financial mess. As I say I had every intention in paying it back

Technically this is called stealing, not borrowing. You're lucky if you only lose your job, you might go to jail. Sorry, no sympathy from me.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Technically this is called stealing, not borrowing. You're lucky if you only lose your job, you might go to jail. Sorry, no sympathy from me.

Hello san_d. The OP's thread title suggests that they understand that their action was foolhardy. I don't think there's anything to be achieved by beating them up more than they are probably doing to themselves.

We're not here to judge.

HB

As hard as it may be, you really need to be ready to look for another job. If you can put forward a good and valid reason why you did it, and you have a very sympathetic employer, you could keep your job. However, i wouldnt count on it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Is it?. You can demonstrate their intent to permanently deprive the company of the money?.

You can read their mind?.

The OP has made a mistake which may cost them their job, and they know it.

It is only stealing if there was intent to permanently deprive, otherwise it is misappropriation rather than theft, and since the business was aware the money was missing it doesn't sound like the OP tried to hide the facts : so it isn't fraud either.

Misappropriation : yes. Misconduct (and wrong) : yes, and the OP knows it.

Gross Misconduct (and likely to be dismissed) : quite probably - but depends on the exact circumstances.

Theft (+/- prison) : I don't think so, and I'm not sure it is either reasonable or helpful to suggest so.

Just remember, an employer just needs to go on the balance of probabilities. They dont need complete proof. If the OP can show a good and valid reason why they took the money, and it lands on a sympathetic ear, then a final written warning with retraining and possible relocation would happen. If the employer doesnt see it the OP's way, then the outcome would be much worse.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hello san_d. The OP's thread title suggests that they understand that their action was foolhardy. I don't think there's anything to be achieved by beating them up more than they are probably doing to themselves.

We're not here to judge.

HB

Thanks HB and to think theme to take it to courts it will cost the company too much. I didnt take thousands

Without knowing who your employer is, the attitude of management or your previous good record (or otherwise), I think that the post advising that you need to be looking towards getting another job is good advice. In any organisation this will be classed as Gross Misconduct and you will be extremely fortunate to remain in your job. It may seem harsh, and you may have had very good reasons for doing what you did, but especially where money is concerned, trust is a fundamental part of the business relationship, and the employer may well feel that it is impossible to trust your future actions, or to know how often this has happened in the past. Remember they only have your word that you intended to put it back.

Mitigation is your only realistic option - explain frankly what happened and why, and express thorough remorse and shame, together with emphasis on previous good service. Begging sometimes works too.

I think a criminal prosecution is very unlikely, but again I don't know the nature of your employer's business or their likely attitude to this case.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

have you had any previous disciplinaries?

you may wish to consider the option of resigning, rather than getting sacked

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

If you resign, please be aware that your employer can give a reference such as "resigned while under investigation for theft". Or words to that effect.

have you had any previous disciplinaries?

you may wish to consider the option of resigning, rather than getting sacked

Hello id.

The only thing there is that a future reference could say that the employee resigned whilst under investigation for gross misconduct, or whatever the case might be.

My best HB

Without knowing who your employer is, the attitude of management or your previous good record (or otherwise), I think that the post advising that you need to be looking towards getting another job is good advice. In any organisation this will be classed as Gross Misconduct and you will be extremely fortunate to remain in your job. It may seem harsh, and you may have had very good reasons for doing what you did, but especially where money is concerned, trust is a fundamental part of the business relationship, and the employer may well feel that it is impossible to trust your future actions, or to know how often this has happened in the past. Remember they only have your word that you intended to put it back.

Mitigation is your only realistic option - explain frankly what happened and why, and express thorough remorse and shame, together with emphasis on previous good service. Begging sometimes works too.

I think a criminal prosecution is very unlikely, but again I don't know the nature of your employer's business or their likely attitude to this case.

For obvious reasons I am not naming the company for Data Protection. This is my 1st occurrence and I will be paying the remainder on the day of my meeting, which I did say to the manager today. So all the money is paid.

I have a good attendance with my employer and a good working relationship with everyone, and I can do my job.