Received a MCOL for a kitten I sold **SETTLED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What if the plaintiff doesn't intend to rely on any paperwork from the vet? Presumably the defendant can then claim there's no proof the kitten they sold went near a vet? Vet bills may exist but the claimant does have to show somehow they relate to the kitten in question, no?

Indeed. It is difficult to see how they can claim for a bill without providing a copy of the bill. The burden of proof is on the Claimant.

Personally I think it is probably better to let the other side come to the hearing with no paperwork, than it is to ask for the paperwork. If there are holes in the Claimant's case it is not the Defendant's job to plug them.

If they try to ambush the op at the hearing with new paperwork, after not complying with a clear court order to disclose it in advance, then the op should ask ask the judge to disregard it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think it is probably better to let the other side come to the

hearing with no paperwork, than it is to ask for the paperwork. If there are

holes in the Claimant's case it is not the Defendant's job to plug them.

Absolutely. I was thinking more of them turning up to court with a vet's bill which may, or may not, be specific to the animal in question and my wanting the defendant to be ready for such a game. It needs a full copy of veterinary records and/or a witness statement from the vet to identify the kitten. A bill simply saying x and y treatment for 'Fluffy' won't do.

hightail, the court/judge should not allow the claimant to "ambush". If they do this, then the OP should request an adjournment to ensure the paperwork is correct.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You cant introduce undisclosed evidence at the last moment...that disadvantages you the defendant and is against the ethos of the CPR.You would reject it and request time to consider or even it should be allowed.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

hightail, the court/judge should not allow the claimant to "ambush".

My one experience of small claims had the judge allowing the introduction of documents unseen by me. Admittedly this was by the defendant and maybe it was because they didn't have a real defence so it was just let go. It's no hurt to let the OP know their options just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

hi is there any updates on this?

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 3 months later...

You might want to telephone the court and ask if the opposition has submitted any paperwork eg Witness statement, etc. I think all items that are going to be relied on have to be provided to both the court and the other parties at least 14 days prior to the actual hearing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Has there been an order requiring the parties to serve documents they intend to rely on in court a certain number of days before the hearing? If so, and if you want to use a written statement, you should submit this as per the deadline.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Has there been an order requiring the parties to serve documents they intend to rely on in court a certain number of days before the hearing? If so, and if you want to use a written statement, you should submit this as per the deadline.

The date for exchange of documents should be on the order that notified you of the time date and location of the hearing.

The date for exchange of documents should be on the order that notified you of the time date and location of the hearing.

Otherwise known as the Notice of Allocation:wink:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. I phoned the court and no paper work relating to this case has been submitted.. So if they try to submit t at the time of the hearing should I request the judge to disregard it.

I'm going through a check list for my self. Am I to say that the wife is a stranger in this matter and is not a third party. Mr XXX took legal possession of the kitten after insisting on taking it. He also failed to take out at the time the free pet insurance. He simply rushed the kitten into his basket and left the money on the side

of cause what ever happens I will post it on here

court time 2pm.

attended court today.

This is the preliminary hearing... the hearing before a trial.

Firstly.Mrs xxx who filed this case was the wrong person doing so...which at the preliminary hearing is not a problem...as the correct paper work get sorted after for the trial date.

In jest Mrs xxx said the kitten died of a virus.. This is what the vet had said. No paper work was submitted to the courts yet as this is the preliminary hearing. all paper work will me submitted before the trail date.

The judge was not interested in any paper work as he was simply telling the opposite side what they need to do to PROVE I am responsible for the kittens death. A kitten dying of a virus is not MY responsibility. ...its just one of those things with animals. So the OP would need extensive paper work from vets and so forth to prove I was responsible by neglect.. The judge said at this point "I can't see how you will obtain that when the vet said it died of a virus".

If on this basis the OP wants to take it to trail. It would cost them thousands. And all I would pay is the £800 or so that they are claiming for.

He told us both to go out and discuss if we could settle so it doesn't go this far.

I was happy to do so.

I agreed to pay them for the kitten back and £100 towards their vet bill.

she snatched my hand off at this.... as what the judge had said...it would be hard to prove the I was responsible for the kitten dying

So case closed.

Glad to see this is over. It must have been very stressful. As long as it was the result you were looking for, then im happy for you :)

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Busylittle, I am really pleased this is now resolved :)

BCOBS

Yes I'm glad it's over. It would have cost her Thousands to take it to a trial...which I didn't know it could/would get that far... I think in all.. this is a lesson for everyone.

The preliminary hearing is not the end of that matter.. there is those of us like myself have no knowledge of the term. And the stages to follow. So it's always best at this stage to consider your options.

I could have been really unkind and said I didn't want to mediate or make a offer and let this case((if she could afford it)) take me to court which will cost her thousands...if I win it would cost me nothing...if I lost it would cost me the claim she was after which was a mearly £800

I don't feel I won or lost. I feel I did the right thing and gave the money back for the kitten her husband paid for and some extra towards the vet bill...........if she /he would have contacted me prior all this.............I would have done the same. It was only at the court date that I found out the kitten died of a virus..Bless her little kitten sole

I agree, you did what was best - although I would have left it at just the cost of the kitten. IMHO, I do not think that you were responsible in anyway for any portion of the vet bill.

It is very sad indeed that the kitten died, but this was not down to you in anyway.

BCOBS