sold a car thru ebay

rab jenkins
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone,i have recently sold a car thru ebay,was on a buy it now price or best offer,acceptd a best offer price,buyer paid thru paypal on friday and came for car on saturday.then on tuesday i receive an e-mail demanding £200 pounds for repairs to wheel bearings,car is moted til august this year,i did not know bearings were dodgy,car was parked up and sorned since xmas,this was explained.i am being threatened with small claims court if i do not pay.he never informed of any faults but got them repaired and expects me to pay,from what iv learned recently i dont think he can do this,am i right?

hi everyone,i have recently sold a car thru ebay,was on a buy it now price or best offer,acceptd a best offer price,buyer paid thru paypal on friday and came for car on saturday.then on tuesday i receive an e-mail demanding £200 pounds for repairs to wheel bearings,car is moted til august this year,i did not know bearings were dodgy,car was parked up and sorned since xmas,this was explained.i am being threatened with small claims court if i do not pay.he never informed of any faults but got them repaired and expects me to pay,from what iv learned recently i dont think he can do this,am i right?

If you are a private seller rather than a trader, weren't aware of the faults and didn't misdescribe the vehicle : then they are trying it on.

If you are a private seller rather than a trader, weren't aware of the faults and didn't misdescribe the vehicle : then they are trying it on.

Sounds like a [problem].. :mad2:

Abbey Settled 3,600:cool:

Just started battle with

EGG

Virgin CC

Abbey

MBNA

If the wheel bearings were in such a worn state that they needed immediate replacement, they you would have definately noticed it especially rounding a corner.

As a private seller your responsiblity is not to sell a car that is dangerous or misdescribed.

i am a private seller,first time using ebay,have found out he put good feedback on me on sunday ie."easy transaction,good wee car"on tuesday i receive the paypal email demanding the £200,he told me on texts he noticed car and told bearings were shot when they got home,he had put a hold on funds but i discovered that a paypal administrator had cancelled the hold,i had already phoned paypal and ebay about this.

If the wheel bearings were in such a worn state that they needed immediate replacement, they you would have definately noticed it especially rounding a corner.

As a private seller your responsiblity is not to sell a car that is dangerous or misdescribed.

As far as I know car was fine,was parked up for 3 months,I told him this,he is trying to say I miss sold vehicle by saying bearings were fine at mot,that was in August when I changed front ones,here was also no advisory about anything for vehicle.as far as I know he has to give me reasonable time to reply to any faults,I wasn't notified of any from him

.as far as I know he has to give me reasonable time to reply to any faults,I wasn't notified of any from him

not really in the sense that providing that you didn't misrepresent the car or lie about any KNOWN FAULTS, then he has no come back on you at all.

An MOT doesn't certify a car as roadworthy, it certifies that the testable items have met the minimum requirement at the time of test.

The test for wheel bearings is to rotate the wheel and feel for any roughness in the bearing, you can't fail a car on a noisy wheel bearing.

An MOT doesn't certify a car as roadworthy, it certifies that the testable items have met the minimum requirement at the time of test.

The test for wheel bearings is to rotate the wheel and feel for any roughness in the bearing, you can't fail a car on a noisy wheel bearing.

The wheel is also rocked top and bottom and a noise indicates that all is not well and can be failed.

I read from the first post that the car was laid up for a number of months, the seller may not have known about the wheel bearing issues, and there is no confirmation that the buyer did not tow the car away, meaning nobody may have foreseen the issue.

Then on another post the seller confirms the bearings were replaced a few months ago............

Something isn't right about the claims. The only real proof would be the seller retaining the receipt for the bearings that were replaced, and reasonable proof they were fitted to the car.

It doesn't help with the Paypal issue though.

Accepting paypal for an item that is not posted by trackable means will automatically lose you your money. the buyer is using this to get his money back and keep the car so you end up with nothing. I hope you have his address from the V5

absolutely incorrect.

There is no pay pal clawback or customer protection on paypal with motor vehicles.

Accepting paypal for an item that is not posted by trackable means will automatically lose you your money. the buyer is using this to get his money back and keep the car so you end up with nothing. I hope you have his address from the V5

Not really relevant. This would only be an issue if the buyer was claiming that he did not receive the goods. As he has left positive feedback, and he is complaining about the wheel bearings, then quite clearly he has received the goods. Paypal will not intervene further and is likely the reason they removed the hold.

I think he has no leg to stand on as he has already said he replaced the wheel bearings without first contacting you to give you the opportunity to put things wright

as he bought the car on buy it now he does have some laws in his favour - ie as has been said before, the car must be roadworthy

i would firstly ask for a copy of the receipt to be emailed or posted over to you, then contact the garage that did the repairs, hopefully for a truthful confirmation that the repairs were done, then if you are satisfied come to an agreement to pay, lets say half of the costs, if you are in any doubt then dispute it and refuse to pay.

if he is genuine it will come out in the end as he may seek court action or action through trading standards

as he bought the car on buy it now he does have some laws in his favour - ie as has been said before, the car must be roadworthy

what laws? as long as OP did not misrepresent which it seems he did not then it is buyer beware in a private sale.

what laws? as long as OP did not misrepresent which it seems he did not then it is buyer beware in a private sale.

sorry to disagree but it is not buyer beware, even with private sales the car must be roadworthy. ..if the buyer can provide proof that these bearings did indeed need replacing then the seller would be seen as to have known this - the car must be roadworthy no matter who sells it

anyway, as the buyer did not discuss his problem but went ahead with replacing the bearings he really has a difficult job to get any money back

if the buyer can provide proof that these bearings did indeed need replacing then the seller would be seen as to have known this

why would a "normal citizen Smith" know this and be held responsible? I know very little about the true mechanics of a car and short of it having a defect that manifests itself perhaps in the obvious mis-handling of the car, would not be aware of some hidden away problem. As a private seller, as long as I described the vehicle correctly, I could not be held liable for a fault that I couldn't have seen (such as a wheel bearing).

sorry to disagree but it is not buyer beware, even with private sales the car must be roadworthy. ..if the buyer can provide proof that these bearings did indeed need replacing then the seller would be seen as to have known this - the car must be roadworthy no matter who sells it

According to the o/p the car was SORNed and laid up for a couple of months. a lot could have happened in that time