Housing Benefit - under 35 but exempt

dolphinsezzy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent an email with a scan of the rent increase, and suggested exactly that, Brig! I praised today's clerk and HO, and told them last week's fiasco caused me unneccessary stress and ill-health.

Well done,may be worth a short e-mail to the CEO praise for today, complaint for last week, I know he does act.

I've got an elderly couple with health problems nearly £60 a week on DHB, by going to the top.

Have a great Christmas sezzy.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I just thought I should let you know that I have just spoken to CBC (I noticed they'd made an error with my postcode, for some strange reason!), and I thought I would ask if their stance was still the same regarding the shared/single room rate. They have admitted they made an error and the housing officer (a different one from last week's, who also happened to work for the DWP previous) is going to sort it this afternoon. I even had an apology for all the stress it caused me which subsequently made me very ill over the weekend, and for the treatment I got from the other clerks and housing officer.

Thank you SO much all!

Excellent, this is good news - I would be inclined to do as Brig says and follow up with a letter to the CEO confirming that whilst now resolved, this situation has caused no end of grief for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes I will definitely follow up with a letter to the CEO. The lady today suggested, even though I have the HB reinstated as before, that I apply for Discretionary HB as well because I still have a considerable short fall. I shall mention this to the CEO too, especially after what Brig has said about that.

• 1 month later...

I am having exactly the same problem with Slough Borough Council. I am under 35 in private rent one bed. I receive middle rate care DLA, no one receives carers allowance for me, which should make me exempt, but they are still adamant on paying single room rate. I have Bi-polar 2 and have already been hospitalised over the stress this is causing me. I have been fighting for months to stay where I am, but now I have 4 weeks before I am to be evicted. Someone please help!!

I am having exactly the same problem with Slough Borough Council. I am under 35 in private rent one bed. I receive middle rate care DLA, no one receives carers allowance for me, which should make me exempt, but they are still adamant on paying single room rate. I have Bi-polar 2 and have already been hospitalised over the stress this is causing me. I have been fighting for months to stay where I am, but now I have 4 weeks before I am to be evicted. Someone please help!!

Have you got in touch with someone like Mind?

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/lha-guidance-manual.pdf

Page 27

Severe Disability Premium included in benefit assessment

2.080 Under 25 year olds, single customers over 25 or couples who have no dependent children and who have the Severe Disability Premium included in their benefit assessment, will have their benefit allowance based on the one bedroom LHA rate whether or not they share accommodation and regardless of its size.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

sonnyboypride, try using the following as a letter

Dear Sirs

I refer to my Housing Benefit in respect of:

Address

I would like to request that the applicable local Housing Allowance rate be revised to the one bedroom self-contained rate on the basis that I am entitled to a Severe Disability Premium and am therefore exempt from the shared accommodation rate.

Details of the pre January 2012 SDP exemption can be found on page 27 of the DWP LHA guidance manual http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/lha-guidance-manual.pdf I note that this makes reference to under 25s.

In January 2012, the DWP extended the shared accommodation rate to most 25 to 34 year olds, however those entitled to SDP were excluded from this change. See page 3 of the DWP communication on this change http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/sar1.pdf

I would therefore request that you immediately revise my award to the one bedroom self-contained rate.

If you are unable to do so, please: -

1. provide a full written explanation of such refusal, including the specific regulation/legislation
  2. treat this letter as a request that the matter be referred to Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service for an appeal hearing
  3. treat this letter as an official complaint for maladministration in that the Council is failing to apply the relevant legislation correctly
  4. treat this letter as a request for a discretionary housing payment

Please also acknowledge receipt of this letter within 5 working days of receipt.

Yours faithfully

Edited by id6052

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Also copy letter to the Council's

1. Chief Executive
  2. Housing Benefit Manager
  3. Complaints Manager

Why are you not receiving a Severe Disability Premium?

What incomes/benefits do you receive?

Sonnyboypride

You should be receiving a Severe Disability Premium, as part of your ESA and/or HB, as long as:

1. you are in receipt of DLA(care) at middle or higher rate
  2. you live on your own
  3. nobody is claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you

If you are receiving income related ESA, then your ESA should include your Severe Disability Premium - paragraph 6, Schedule 4, ESA Regs

If you are receiving contribution based ESA, then your HB should include your Severe Disability Premium - paragraph 14, Schedule 3, HB Regs

£99.15 is the amount payable for ESA for person aged over 25 in the Work Related Activity Group.

However based upon the information you have provided, you should also be entitled to a Severe Disability Premium, which would increase your ESA to £157.35 per week.

You need to apply to DWP for a revision under paragraph 6, Schedule 4, ESA Regs.