style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4255 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello folks,

Just looking for some advice over a letter I have dated 24/2/12 from Newlyns that I've only just picked up from a previous address... It's over an unpaid council tax bill that while undisputed my name is the only one they're chasing of six people.

Letter states that Bankruptcy proceedings are imminent, although I've just spoken to them and they say that the proceedings haven't yet been started by the council...

Don't really think I want to go bankrupt over this, am I going to have to just bite the bullet and pay up? Was hoping it was going to disappear but this seems unlikely, debt is from 2005...

Cheers all.

Hello larold, welcome to the CAG.

Enjoy your visit, but take some time to look around the forum and understand where everything is.

It can seem confusing at first but you will start to find your way round and to understand what a helpful community we are.

You haven't received any replies to your post yet. Try posting your query again in a relevant sub-foum. You will get the help and support you need there.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.

If the Council Tax was due more than 6 years ago then the council are unable to ask the Court for a Liability Order (a liability order allows the council to deduct the Council Tax debt from your wages or benefits). However, it is unlikely that the council will have allowed this to happen, and they will usually have obtained a Liability Order before the 6 years are up.

Regards

Andy

I have moved your thread to the CT forum.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

This is Newlyn misrepresenting their powers again. It is true that BR is an option for not having paid Council Tax it is the decision of the Council and not the Bailiff. As for them asking you to pay when there are others involved is correct, you are all seen as jointly & severally liable meaning they can make 1 person pay the whole lot. It might be you are the only person they have tracked down and unless you know where the others are you could have to pay the whole amount and there is no appeal against this.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the responses... We/I do have a liability order for the debt against me unfortunately... And apparently my name is the only one Newlyn have for this account, which is nice of the council! I am in contact with (most) of the others, but they are obviously not quite as keen to pay as I am... May have to get as much as I can out of them and cough up the rest myself I guess.

If the others are reluctant to cough and you know where they are you have several options open to you:

i - you could tell Newlyn where they are - but htis spreads the misery around

ii - you could ask them for their shares

iii - you could pay all yourself and then ask them to contribute

iv - if they are unwilling then you go back to i above or start an action in the County Court to recoup their shares.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]