Employability with Crimial Records

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You can forget working in the law or the police if it's recent. In all other cases, the guidance above says whether you need to declare it. Otherwise, it could potentially come up on a CRB check for working with vulnerable people.

Where a potential employer is likely to find out via either or the above, it would depend on the job, and what you did and when you did it. Six months for theft wouldn't look good if you were applying for a job involving money, for example.

Is this to do with previous posts about fare evasion?

• Haha 1

You can forget working in the law or the police if it's recent. In all other cases, the guidance above says whether you need to declare it. Otherwise, it could potentially come up on a CRB check for working with vulnerable people.

Where a potential employer is likely to find out via either or the above, it would depend on the job, and what you did and when you did it. Six months for theft wouldn't look good if you were applying for a job involving money, for example.

Is this to do with previous posts about fare evasion?

dear marmar, yes, it is! just planning for the worse here.

What precisely do you need to know?

hi becky;i am just hoping to find out; if i did receive a crimial record due to my recent fare evasion, for which I haven't really received a prosecution letter. i have read my contact last night, my current contract doesn't mention anything about periodic crb check once you are employed, nor what would happen if you were convicted throughout your employment. Also as I am undergoing some overseas interviews, believe my potential employers will need to do a world wide credit and crimial checks; so I am hoping to find out what is the impact? and am i right to say, if they finish all the screeming prior to my summons if any, they still see a clean record?

Don't forget that CRB checks expire, so if you do get a job that requires one before you get a conviction, then in 3 years when it's renewal time you'll need to get another one.

Honesty is always the best policy when it comes to telling an employer, so if you have a job that requires anything like a CRB check (like your overseas interview) then I'd recommend telling them when you get it, or just asking upfront before you take a new job and quit your current one.

If it's something as minor as fare evasion then chances are they simply wont be bothered.

hi becky;i am just hoping to find out; if i did receive a crimial record due to my recent fare evasion, for which I haven't really received a prosecution letter. i have read my contact last night, my current contract doesn't mention anything about periodic crb check once you are employed, nor what would happen if you were convicted throughout your employment. Also as I am undergoing some overseas interviews, believe my potential employers will need to do a world wide credit and crimial checks; so I am hoping to find out what is the impact? and am i right to say, if they finish all the screeming prior to my summons if any, they still see a clean record?

Ah okay. The letters do take a while, but they very rarely prosecute... Have you called them for a decision? Sometimes that hurries them along...

Also, if you have paid the fine already, again, prosecution is unlikely.

I dealt with a couple of similar fare evasion incidents on northern rail recently - neither individual was prosecuted. One was worried, as it shows up on the CRB as "travel fraud" - meaning you'd then need a visa to enter the USA!

Unless your contract or staff handbook specifically requires you to declare convictions, I wouldn't worry. Plus, chances are, you won't end up with a conviction in any event.