• Tweets

• Yup, for goodness sake she needs to stop paying right now, DCA's are powerless, as .  Is it showing on their credit file? Best to use Check my file. All of the above advice is excellent, definitely SAR the loan company as soon as possible.
    • Hi all, I am wandering if this is appealable. It has already been through a challenge on the Islington website and the it was rejected. Basically there was a suspended bay sign on a post on Gee st which was obscured by a Pizza van. The suspension was for 3 bays outside 47 Gee st. I parked outside/between 47 & 55 Gee st. I paid via the phone system using a sign a few meters away from my car. When I got back to the car there was a PCN stuck to the windscreen which I had to dry out before I could read it due to rain getting into the plastic sticky holder.  I then appealed using the Islington website which was then rejected the next day. I have attached a pdf of images that I took and also which the parking officer took. There are two spaces in front of the van, one of which had a generator on it the other was a disabled space. I would count those as 3 bays? In the first image circled in red is the parking sign I read. In the 2nd image is the suspension notice obscured by the van. I would have had to stand in the middle of the road to read this, in fact that's where I was standing when I took the photo. I have pasted the appeal and rejection below. Many thanks for looking. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This is my appeal statement: As you can see from the image attached (image 1) I actually paid £18.50 to park my car in Gee st. I parked the car at what I thought was outside 55 Gee st as seen in image 2 attached. When I read the PCN issued it stated there was a parking suspension. There was no suspension notice on the sign that I used to call the payment service outside number 55 Gee st. I looked for a suspension notice and eventually found one which was obscured by a large van and generator parked outside 47 Gee st. As seen in images 3 and 4 attached. I am guessing the parking suspension was to allow the Van to park and sell Pizza during the Clerkenwell design week. I was not obstructing the use or parking of the van, in fact the van was obstructing the suspension notice which meant I could not read or see it without prior knowledge it was there. I would have had to stand in the road to see it endangering myself as I had to to take images to illustrate the hidden notice. As there was no intention to avoid a parking charge and the fact the sign was not easily visible I would hope this challenge can be accepted. Many thanks.   This is the text from the rejection: Thank you for contacting us about the above Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). The PCN was issued because the vehicle was parked in a suspended bay or space. I note from your correspondence that there was no suspension notice on the sign that you used to call the payment serve outside number 55 Gee Street. I acknowledge your comments, however, your vehicle was parked in a bay which had been suspended. The regulations require the suspension warning to be clearly visible. It is a large bright yellow sign and is erected by the parking bay on the nearest parking plate to the area that is to be suspended. Parking is then not permitted in the bay for any reason or period of time, however brief. The signs relating to this suspension were sited in accordance with the regulations. Upon reviewing the Civil Enforcement Officer's (CEO's) images and notes, I am satisfied that sufficient signage was in place and that it meets statutory requirements. Whilst I note that the signage may have been obstructed by a large van and generator at the time, please note, it is the responsibility of the motorist to locate and check the time plate each time they park. This will ensure that any changes to the status of the bay are noted. I acknowledge that your vehicle possessed a RingGo session at the time, however, this does not authorize parking within a suspended bay. Suspension restrictions are established to facilitate specific activities like filming or construction, therefore, we anticipate the vehicle owner to relocate the vehicle from the suspended area until the specified date and time when the suspension concludes. Leaving a vehicle unattended for any period of time within a suspended bay, effectively renders the vehicle parked in contravention and a Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) may issue a PCN. Finally, the vehicle was left parked approximately 5 metres away from the closest time plate notice. It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure they park in a suitable parking place and check all signs and road markings prior to leaving their vehicle parked in contravention. It remains the driver's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is parked legally at all times. With that being said, I would have to inform you, your appeal has been rejected at this stage. Please see the below images as taken by the CEO whilst issuing the PCN: You should now choose one of the following options: Pay the penalty charge. We will accept the discounted amount of £65.00 in settlement of this matter, provided it is received by 10 June 2024. After that date, the full penalty charge of £130.00 will be payable. Or Wait for a Notice to Owner (NtO) to be issued to the registered keeper of the vehicle, who is legally responsible for paying the penalty charge. Any further correspondence received prior to the NtO being issued may not be responded to. The NtO gives the recipient the right to make formal representations against the penalty charge. If we reject those representations, there will be the right of appeal to the Environment and Traffic Adjudicator.   Gee st pdf.pdf
    • Well done.   Please let us know how it goes or come back with any questions. HB
    • Incorrect as the debt will have been legally assigned to the DCA and they are therefore now the legal creditor. Read up on debt assignment.   Andy
    • Thanks Man in the Middle and everyone it's greatly appreciated form was filled in online yesterday now just have to wait and see
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Eviction for Benefit Fraud. Please Help.

inn0cence
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2830 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry but you wont be able to get HB "turn back on" during a investigated for HB fraud in the 1st case....

Your friend ! needs to concentrate on the possession hearing tomorrow at the county court.

I understand that she needs to concentrate on the case tommorow but even if the judge doesn't kick her out. This is just gonna go round in circles because the rent is just going to keep piling up, due to benefit being stopped.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there guys,

Sorry for the delay in posting.

She went to court and got a 8 week suspended possession order, due to new housing benefit claim.

She has been ordered by the judge to keep paying her water rates and a further £6 a week for the debt, until she has to go back to court in 8 weeks.

If the HB gets turned back on then she will not have to attend court again.

The rep from HA told the judge that she will not get HB due to the benefit fraud officer had told him that they have loads of evidence on this matter. And my friend definitely would not get any HB.

It's good that the judge was sympathetic.

Like I said in an earlier post, she tried to claim HB. She was told that she had to provide utility bills and bank statements for her ex-partner in his address. So she went to council offices on the day before court day and spoke to a guy in HB and gave him copies of bank statements, and other utility bills, which the guy took, and gave her a receipt for.

He also asked for her ex-partners proof of earnings, to which she told him “how am I supposed to get them? He doesn’t live with me.”

The guy asked her to write a letter about that, so my friend did that there and then, and gave it to him. The guy then told her it could take up to 4 weeks to process.

Now the worry starts again. I don’t think her new HB claim will get allowed. I think they will try to fob her off with some other excuse. Which will mean she will end up losing her home eventually.

It seems to me that HB and HA are working together to make her life hell.

Please help.

What else can we do?

Shehas spoken to HB guy and provided letter & docs as requested. Judge has given her max time allowed after granting HA a repo order, to allow time for HB consideration. Judge will not be amused if HB dept delayed decision until after next Court hearing. She should now concentrate on the benefit fraud allegation and not let b/f stay over more than 2 nights/wk, if at all.

Please answer Qs on reason for £10K C Tax arrears.

Hi there guys,

Sorry for the delay in posting.

She went to court and got a 8 week suspended possession order, due to new housing benefit claim.

She has been ordered by the judge to keep paying her water rates and a further £6 a week for the debt, until she has to go back to court in 8 weeks.

If the HB gets turned back on then she will not have to attend court again.

The rep from HA told the judge that she will not get HB due to the benefit fraud officer had told him that they have loads of evidence on this matter. And my friend definitely would not get any HB.

It's good that the judge was sympathetic.

Like I said in an earlier post, she tried to claim HB. She was told that she had to provide utility bills and bank statements for her ex-partner in his address. So she went to council offices on the day before court day and spoke to a guy in HB and gave him copies of bank statements, and other utility bills, which the guy took, and gave her a receipt for.

He also asked for her ex-partners proof of earnings, to which she told him “how am I supposed to get them? He doesn’t live with me.”

The guy asked her to write a letter about that, so my friend did that there and then, and gave it to him. The guy then told her it could take up to 4 weeks to process.

Now the worry starts again. I don’t think her new HB claim will get allowed. I think they will try to fob her off with some other excuse. Which will mean she will end up losing her home eventually.

It seems to me that HB and HA are working together to make her life hell.

Please help.

shelter sent someone from CAB because they couldn't attend.

cab just said from the off, that this hearing needs to be adjourned. and that's what's she did.

So a suspended possession order for 8 weeks, I think is only putting off the invertible Possession order ending in eviction.

Sorry but there No way you friend is going to get HB while been investigated for HB fraud in the 1st place.

Unless All the arrears are paid off by end of the 8 weeks and your friend can pay future rent on time,judge will have No choice and grant HA a possession order .

What is your friend current income,what is she living on ?

What do we do about the council tax bailiff's?

Ask CAB or shelter for advice on CT arrears as I posted early on.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

her income is about £700 a month i think. i'll ask her when i next see her.

It doesn't look good at All.

Sorry to be blunt and to be honest it may be time your friend started looking for somewhere else to live!

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Sorry but there No way you friend is going to get HB while been investigated for HB fraud in the 1st place.

are you sure she cant make a fresh claim for HB?

even the CAB woman said today that anyone can claim again as soon as any circumstances change.

CAB woman also said they will make it tough for her. but she can make a claim.

someone on here on page 1 or 2 said she should make a fresh claim again, and mark it "without prejudice"

this is by a person called benefits bod

2) In any case... if the claimant is, in principle, currently entitled, a new claim for HB should be made immediately. The local authority cannot refuse to process it simply because of the outstanding appeal (at least not legally!). I advise marking any new claim as being "without prejudice to any outstanding appeal" (plain english usage rather than legal meaning). In the event of the appeal being successful, the "second claim / award" simply becomes defunct and the original award replaces the "new" award. Nope, that doesn't mean double payment.... (er, at least it shouldn't!).

So the basis of the benefit fraud allegation is that OPs 'friend' co-habitated with boyfriend for majority of week for a period of 5-6 years, without notifying Authority od 'change in circumstance'. Thus her address would be b/f's primary residence, even if he had another property, hence the claim for £10K back C Tax single person/exempt discount?

Maybe OP friend can submit another HB claim, but I submit this would force the Authority to issue a Suimmons for benefit fraud during its assessment period. The Auth evidence is likely to include detailed observation logs, and poss video. of b/fs comings & goings at property. It is possible with alleged debts of this amount, for the creditor(s) to seek a personal Bankruptcy order if debts not discharged/inability to pay. A 6 yr CCJ as a min. Find new accom before debts are a matter of public record.

Another reason why LLs are wary of Ts on HB IMO

• Confused 1

Reading between the lines,the claimant seems intent on a claim for housing benefit and to be blunt,,it's not going to happen,,the LA etc must have pretty rock solid evidence to asking for 10k in CT overpayments for 5/6 years,,and it's not down to the authorities to prove the b/f is living there,,it's down to claimant to prove he isn't,,after all LA holds purse strings..She should now concentrate on finding new accomodation for herself and her kids and sorting her finances out.I'm sorry if I sound harsh but it's true and relying on getting HB that the LA seem pretty determined not to grant isn't going to solve anything.

Edited by Lillibelle
changed DWP to LA (my error)

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.

Hi guys,

Does anyone actually know how the HB system works?

I am getting mixed reactions on this question.

The question is:

1) Can you make a fresh claim for HB if you under investigation for benefit fraud?

2) If the answer is yes, what is the best way to do this?

3) DWP will make this process very hard, but they have eventually give the HB?

1 Depends if your old claim is suspended or cancelled - suspended, no, cancelled yes.

2 Fill in a new claim form

3 DWP don't award HB, the LA do. And no they don't have to give you the benefit, if the same circumstances exist as brought about the investigation and cancelled the previous claim, they probably won't.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

CAB got this lady to make a fresh claim for HB while she is waiting for the appeal.

The HB wrote back to her and said she will not get the claim unless she sends proof of her ex-partners address.

So she has given HB proof of ex-partners address.

She has supplied them with Bank, Council Tax and Utility Statements.

They told her it will take 4 weeks to process.

What do think of her chances?

Hi I posted a reply on your other thread,,not sure if you saw it. so will re post it Re: Eviction for Benefit Fraud. Please Help.

Reading between the lines,the claimant seems intent on a claim for housing benefit and to be blunt,,it's not going to happen,,the LA etc must have pretty rock solid evidence to asking for 10k in CT overpayments for 5/6 years,,and it's not down to the authorities to prove the b/f is living there,,it's down to claimant to prove he isn't,,after all LA holds purse strings..She should now concentrate on finding new accomodation for herself and her kids and sorting her finances out.I'm sorry if I sound harsh but it's true and relying on getting HB that the LA seem pretty determined not to grant isn't going to solve anything.

Regards

Lillbelle

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.

Now I'm confused,,,,if she could prove her ex lived seperately why didn't she do so as soon as her benefits were queried? I'm sure a letter would have been sent to her before her money stopped,although I will happily stand corrected if I'm wrong. And has she been asked for 5/6 years of HB too? You said CT has asked for 10k.

Edited by Lillibelle

Lillibelle

Hi I posted a reply on your other thread,,not sure if you saw it. so will re post it Re: Eviction for Benefit Fraud. Please Help.

Regards

Lillbelle

hi lilibelle,

thanks for yr post. i did read it. the reason i made a new thread was to see if i can get some different veiws on the subject, and this thread is in the residential section. so no disrespect to you. you are obviosly very knowledgeable.

hi lillibelle,

as you are taking a lot of yr time up with helping me. i will have to explain the whole story to you very soon. it will involve a lot of typing and as i am a very slow typer, it will take a little time. please bear with me.

Hi guys,

Does anyone actually know how the HB system works?

I am getting mixed reactions on this question.

The question is:

1) Can you make a fresh claim for HB if you under investigation for benefit fraud?

2) If the answer is yes, what is the best way to do this?

3) DWP will make this process very hard, but they have eventually give the HB?

1) As the previous claim has terminated, then YES, she can make a new claim

2) As advised by Estellyn, she will need to complete a new claim form and submit it to the Local Authority

3) If she can satisfy the Local Authority that she is entitled to HB, then they should pay it. If she can't satisfy the Local Authority, then her claim will be refused.

Did your friend write to HM Courts and Tribunals Service to get a short notice hearing?

If so, has she had a response or listing for her appeal?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.