• Tweets

• Hi, If they haven't followed the court's directions there will be little tolerance of the court. Anyway please can you upload a copy of the court paperwork
    • Yes, you should have applied for an immediate strike out as soon as the deadline expired. Without the agreement, they are stuffed Forget Barclaycard, Asset link is now the creditor, and it is down to them to provide the agreement.  That needs to go into the witness statement. They have not provided the agreement contrary to directions of the court and request the court strike out the claim as to the original court directions.
    • I did not receive a notice via post but in my claim status it shows my claim was transferred to a court I requested in my DQ, as it is closer to me.    Defense I filed:  1.       The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2.       The defendant paid the lead tenant a fixed sum monthly bill without fail for the extent of the rental period of the accommodation their contract was associated with who was responsible to make payments to the claimant, ending in June 2023. 3.       After moving out, a month later, the claimant wrote to state that an outstanding sum existed. Further stating, as one of the 10 tenants at the time, I now owed them the full sum instead of my 1/10 proportion of said debt, as 10 students were at the dwelling. They also intimated that they were legally allowed to charge me the full sum if the other renters were not to pay their share under some equal and joint severity rule. 4.       Despite sending numerous requests prior to the court claim being raised for copies of said bills for said utilities covered by the agreement, the claimant failed to send any clear bills. This included a CPR 31.14 on xx/xx/xxxx sent via post. 5.       The defendants stress that they acted in good faith to settle the outstanding balance, as evidenced by the confirmation received from the claimant.  Any subsequent demands for additional payments are unwarranted and contradict the claimant's previous acknowledgment of settlement. 6.       Pursuant to OFGEM code of back billing rules the alleged charges relate to charges which have not been billed correctly by Co-operative Energy and are therefore prevented from charging. With the court’s permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to: - a) show and disclose how the Defendant has entered into an agreement. b) show and disclose how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed. c) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim. 7.As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation                  that the money is owed. 8.It is therefore denied that the defendant is indebted to the claimant as alleged or at all.
    • Paint is a free programme on any Windows PC. But don't worry, the choice here is not either perfection or nothing. As you say, use your scanner, save the file ... and then use the "choose files" option when you post to CAG to add the file. We can do all the redacting and converting to the correct file type at this end.  The important thing is just to get the info to us. Why not do an experiment this afternoon and see if the above works?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Torn in two

benidorm60
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have always found help on here and now am stuck in the middle.

A friend of mine has a daughter and she is a lovely girl and a single parent.

She has four children and a good mum middle lad has got AHD and gets Diability and she is a carer and

Income Support.

Housing Benefit. She has a boyfriend living with her and he works full time and now just found out she is working part time as well. My friend is so pleased for her.

I am struggling to make ends meet, job is hard hours long and I cant get a swap.

Am angry and dont know what to do. I cant believe I am thinking of reporting her.

Edited by benidorm60
spelling mistake

Maybe as a good friend, you should point out to her that the authorities *will* catch up with her in the end, and the longer she leaves it the worse it will be, so better to stop sooner rather than later, and report her change of circumstances herself.

You could do this in a roundabout fashion by bringing up an article from the news. The tabloids and those gossip mags are full of benefit fraud stories.

Its very hard, my friend thinks her daughter is doing well she is treating her to a holiday as well Lanzarote in October, school holidays with the boyfriend and children. She has never been abroad before like me so is excited and looking forward to her jollies

I Just wish to god she had never told me now to be honest. My friend can see no wrong in what her children do never could even when they were little

I'm sure she's lovely but the investigators won't see it that way if they call her in for an interview under caution, on suspicion of overclaiming and failure to report a change in circumstances as required. Nor will they be very interested in the effect on her children, as long as there is no hardship, which is very much in their hands to decide. If the overclaimed money is paying for the holiday then that will just make it worse.

If she reports her own change of circumstances now then she considerably reduces the risk of that happening, the consequences will be much more manageable, and your own conscience as a friend will remain intact.

I appreciate it must be difficult. However, I understand that you can report your suspicions anonymously. Unfortunately, no matter our personal feelings for anyone involved, people who do work which negates their benefit entitlement give all of those with genuine need a bad name...

Maybe as a good friend, you should point out to her that the authorities *will* catch up with her in the end, and the longer she leaves it the worse it will be, so better to stop sooner rather than later, and report her change of circumstances herself.

You could do this in a roundabout fashion by bringing up an article from the news. The tabloids and those gossip mags are full of benefit fraud stories.

This would be my approach if the friendship is important. I'm no fan of benefit fraudsters, but I can understand being reluctant to report a close friend for a crime. But you would be doing her a favour by pointing out the potentially serious consequences of this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Have thought long and hard and will try to bring something up when I meet her Sunday, but that is hard as she is helping her daughter, she baby sits while she works she does two nights in a pub so it will not go down well. Her daughter says a lot on Facebook about things what she has bought where she is going, how work went, do they keep an eye on it

On lates today so not as tired. Thank you all for your replys

You cannot underestimate the seriousness of the situation if they start to investigate her so don't leave her in any doubt.

Once they have reasonable cause to start an investigation, they have quite wide-ranging powers to see what people are up to. Her daughter shouldn't make it too easy though because she is ultimately an innocent party to her mother's fraud - she should ensure her Facebook security settings are limited to 'friends only'.

I think this is a sensible idea.

Its very hard, my friend thinks her daughter is doing well she is treating her to a holiday as well Lanzarote in October, school holidays with the boyfriend and children. She has never been abroad before like me so is excited and looking forward to her jollies

I Just wish to god she had never told me now to be honest. My friend can see no wrong in what her children do never could even when they were little

You might want to remind her that the Government use Experian to check on benefit claimants now too - if she applies for anything as an employed person, there's a possibility (however remote) that she could end up being investigated. It's really not worth it, to be honest. If she's getting DLA, income support and Housing Benefit, it's going to rack up and get out of control more quickly than she might imagine. Show her some of the posts on here from people who are in bits because they've been asked to attend an IUC!

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Mentioned it today to someone in work and they can not believe it, and are saying am mad and should report it as the mother is as bad as the daughter and are both scroungers.

This is getting worse and I think I will not go Sunday.

Friend said go on line council site but will they trace me. Think when I mentioned the holiday to Canarys she went nuts

Workmate said did I realise the daughter could be on £400 per week I said no way.

That is a load of rubbish

Your reportwould be anonymous, you could write a letter and [post it to the local JCP/DWP/council office and leave it for them to investigate.

This is theft and they are doing it blatantly.

ps just setting to friends only may not stop fraud investigators checking her profile, I'm not sure exactly what access the fraud department have though.

Persoanlly I don't think I could ever report someone as I could never be sure I was in full receipt of all the facts. As a friend I would feel it was my responsiblity to make it clear just how much trouble she could get into if she is indeed cheating the system but I don't think I could live with myself if I actually reported someone. I hope very much you speak to your friend about her daughter before deciding to report her.

OP your friend has done you no favours telling you all this and she has put you in an awful position.

By the sounds of it the daughter is also broadcasting it on the net for people to see and read about it. so she is not ashamed of what she is doing.

She may be a lovely girl but what she is doing is greedy, dishonest and she is breaking the law

Nobody can tell you what to do and if your friend tells you more then say, I dont want to knpw, but someone will report her soon hopefully, because its just not right.......

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

If they've done nothing wrong then there is nothing to be afraid of so you don't need the full facts though.

Well many people on here and on other sites are very clearly upset when they find they are being investigated after being reported erroneously so I think it does do damage and can ruin friendships. I know this is the OPs call but even if I knew a person was doing what she is saying I still don't think I could report them it's just how I personally feel about it. Its not that I condone it, I really don't but the full facts are not just the material or financial facts. Perhaps this woman is in a transitional phase in her life where she is now in this relationship, trying to go back to work I don't know what her situation with her boyfriend is perhaps he is staying there but regards his money as his own and never contributes a penny. And God forgive me but I don't think a person on benefits doing the odd bit of cash in hand work is the biggest crime of the century, In the 80's we had a neighbour who was out of work long term as were many men. He had three kids and a wife and to for a bit of extra cash he cleaned the windows of a local pub once a week for a few quid until someone reported him leaving him and his family in crisis. It's not ideal but I don't think it's so terrible I really don't, peope do what they have to do to get by sometimes.

I still think benefit fraud is a drop in the ocean in comparison to what is stolen by banks, large institutions and authority figures, but as I've said here before I'm just fed up generally with people abusing the system, regardless of their class and status. I don't care who you are, I'm completely tired of the "I'm alright, Jack" attitude that a lot of people seem to have. It's not OK - plenty of people are struggling at the minute, myself included, but I'm not about to add to the generally negative perception people have of folk on benefits by seeing how long I can get away with milking the system.

I honestly believe that it's worth talking to her or her mother before you report her...sometimes people need a nudge off the people closest to them before they come to their senses.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Thanks for all your comments I have decided I am not going to do anything, but I am not going to listen to the friend again even when she goes on.

I cant bring myself to do it.

I worry if they catch her then my friend will have to pick up the pieces.

and I cant do that to her can I

I know the daughter is doing wrong and I dont agree with it. I was on benefits and its hard to manage I Know.

• 3 weeks later...

Well someone has done the deed, and the daughter has an interview next week with the council and social

Anyone know what they can expect. My friend is going mad as she thinks its a friend that has done it.

And how can they do this to their own and She is going on and on and i am fed up.

The holiday is paid for but now the boyfriend has gone back to his mothers they will have no money to go. I am trying to be there for her but am in the middle of moving.

what do you mean by cant get a swap.

it sounds like you jealous.

I dont know if she is claiming anything she shouldnt be but I think reporting fraudsters unless its large scale isnt something worth bothering with especially when its friends.