Parking enforcement notice from Civil Enforcement Ltd?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. I've just recieved a parking contravention enforcemment notice from Civil Enforcement(private company) dated 30/03/12.

I was parked in a co op car park in west bridgford notts, and didn't see any signs saying that parking here would incure a fine. It wasnt a pay and display car park so I presumed I would be fine to park there when the shop was closed, other people were. I was parked there from 20:15 - 23:45.

I've had a look around various websites and the general consensus is to ignore the letters totally. But I just want to make sure this is correct? Isnt there a new law that gives private companies more rights coming out in april which may mean they will be able to force me to pay?

Any help much appreaciated. Thanks

I've had a look around various websites and the general consensus is to ignore the letters totally. But I just want to make sure this is correct?

Yes, just ignore

Isnt there a new law that gives private companies more rights coming out in april which may mean they will be able to force me to pay?

The Protection of Freedoms Act is not yet law and in any case will not be retrospective

And the law does not alter the ability of the parking company to "force people to pay". They would still have to take the case to court and prove they have suffered actual material loss and not some stupid figure dreamed up by the parking company.

Thanks very much for the advice and infomation.

So they could still take me to court and i'd end up paying considerably more?

Very, very unlikely they would take you to court. They have to prove they have suffered an actual material loss. That's all they can claim for.

You received the bill as you are the registered keeper. If there are no cameras there, then they don't have a clue who parked it.

Even if you are on video, its easier to try to scare innocent suckers into paying, than taking someone that they have taped to court.

I'm not the registered keeper but I've recieved the invoice from the owner. I just dont want to get them in trouble. I did look for signs but could not find any saying dont park here after hours and I presumed it was fine.

How much would I have to pay if it did go to court?

I goes like this -

- they send letters at regular or irregular intervals upping the threats

- they load a red ink cartridge in their printer

- they get paper out of a different box headed Debt Collectors or Bailiffs

- they give up.

If they say they've passed it on to debt collectors will that show up in your credit file and wreck it?

If they say they've passed it on to debt collectors will that show up in your credit file and wreck it?

Hello there.

That's what the PPCs want you to think. Other people here tell it better than I can, but basically debt collectors are private citizens who have no more powers than you or I do.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ones 'Credit File' only contains Judgements for amounts owing that have remained unpaid 28 days after the ruling by the JUDGE, not some twerp trying to scare money out of people with false claims that enough people still fall for to keep him in a job.

And before it goes before a Judge there is the small matter of the PPC knowing the Driver identity as that is the only person the PPC can even contemplate taking action against.

And once that hurdle is overcome the PPC has to decide if he is claiming for Trespass or Breach of Contract. In both cases they can only be awarded their actual loss by the car being where it was - not a Penalty or Fine, both of which only Courts, Police or Local Authorities can impose.

And the PPC's loss of money for not paying for being in car park for which there is no Pay and Display is errr....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have read various posts regarding Civil Enforcement Ltd but I dont know where I stand as my situation is slightly different.

I have attached the letter I intend to send to them but not sure whether I should sent it at all?

"Dear Sir/Madam,

As per telephone conversation with one of your staff members

I am writing to formally dispute this charge and kindly askfor you to cancel the PCN on the following grounds

1) Icalled the number stated on the sign in the car park when I parked and I gotbusy/engaged tone twice

2) 3rdtry I successfully got through and made a payment over the phone. I did not receivea text or any confirmation for this transaction but I did not find any reasonto question either due to the amount the transaction was for. I checked onlineas advised by your staff today and there is no transactions records for mypayment and I have also checked with my bank today and there is no paymentstaken.

3) Ipaid the fee as instructed but there seems to be or have been an issue withyour payment system.

4) Iwould also like to mention that the car park was and is very badly maintained myvehicle got a puncture on rear passenger tyre which had to be replaced due tothe amounts of broken glass and sharp rubble on your site. I contacted the Officeof Fair Trading, Local police & a solicitor before responding to yourletter and I am well within my rights to seek compensation for damages to myvehicle for poorly maintained park facilities.

I have also enclosed a cheque for the payment for the parkingfor that day as your payment system failed to process my transaction.

Please note if this PCN is cancelled in good faith than Iwill also withdrew my claim for compensation for damages to my vehicle inreturn."

Hi rabbit

You should really start your own thread; however, the PCN has no legal force save that of an implied contract between driver and bandit which would be difficult to enforce were alleged owner not to admit to being driver to bandit.

Our standard advice is no response; you will receive 4,5,6,7 threat-o-grams and they disappear in a puff.

love

vic

PS Welcome to CAG

Hi,

I have read various posts regarding Civil Enforcement Ltd but I dont know where I stand as my situation is slightly different.

I have attached the letter I intend to send to them but not sure whether I should sent it at all?

"Dear Sir/Madam,

As per telephone conversation with one of your staff members

I am writing to formally dispute this charge and kindly askfor you to cancel the PCN on the following grounds

1) Icalled the number stated on the sign in the car park when I parked and I gotbusy/engaged tone twice

2) 3rdtry I successfully got through and made a payment over the phone. I did not receivea text or any confirmation for this transaction but I did not find any reasonto question either due to the amount the transaction was for. I checked onlineas advised by your staff today and there is no transactions records for mypayment and I have also checked with my bank today and there is no paymentstaken.

3) Ipaid the fee as instructed but there seems to be or have been an issue withyour payment system.

4) Iwould also like to mention that the car park was and is very badly maintained myvehicle got a puncture on rear passenger tyre which had to be replaced due tothe amounts of broken glass and sharp rubble on your site. I contacted the Officeof Fair Trading, Local police & a solicitor before responding to yourletter and I am well within my rights to seek compensation for damages to myvehicle for poorly maintained park facilities.

I have also enclosed a cheque for the payment for the parkingfor that day as your payment system failed to process my transaction.

Please note if this PCN is cancelled in good faith than Iwill also withdrew my claim for compensation for damages to my vehicle inreturn."

don't even send it

you got more chance of me paying your invoice then getting money out of these people for your puncture

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

Hi there....I have received 2 letters from Civil enforcement and received a 3rd last week telling me they are going to go to court on 17th April. I have scanned a copy of what they sent.

I plan totally ignoring it, but it would put my mind at rest a bit if somebody could confirm this is just the standard guff they send out . Many thanks.

Daftie

scan0002.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Hi Daftie

This is too small to read; but please ignore it. Do not appeal or 'remember' who the driver might have been.

I have had two of these; both totally innocently and both have disappeared after the computer ran out of paper.

Welcome to CAG.

love

vic

PS To be safe, can re repost or state what the 2nd one says?

Hi Daftie, I also got 3 letters from these guys. The exact same as yourself even down to the 17th april deadline! I wonder whats so special about this day lol! So I am also ignoring this so lets just hope thats the end of it

Ush

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all ....not sure im posting correctly or not....sorry.....I recieved a 75.00 fine through the post yesterday ....simply went over my 2 hrs ...... no tickets are issued on entry so just misjudged the time ......I do worry a lot .....big question is DO I PAY .....really cant afford it...... it was on cctv apparently

Hi all ....not sure im posting correctly or not....sorry.....I recieved a 75.00 fine through the post yesterday ....simply went over my 2 hrs ...... no tickets are issued on entry so just misjudged the time ......I do worry a lot .....big question is DO I PAY .....really cant afford it...... it was on cctv apparently

Was this in a private car-park? If so, no you don't have to pay and it's not a FINE, it's an unenforceable invoice.