Landlord refuses to show us our electric bill!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

"If someone has tampered with the electricity meter and is benefiting from what is essentially free electricity, while you foot the bill, this is a criminal offence!"

I would regard that as advice for LL where T has bypassed the meter. I think it would stand for any one not just a landlord In this case there is no evidence that anyone has bypassed the meter, just running a legal post-meter extension cable to LL barn. No evidence of that either at the moment If LL is getting free elec at Ts expense, then the best approach may be an allegation of LL re-selling energy at above standard tariff. So far there is no proof that LL is using Ts elec. Read post #18

A prof elec and a multimeter could quickly arrive at an opinion (Ts exp)

The point of the energy monitor was to allow T to monitor diff appliance usage regularly over a month and collect evidence of normal pwer demand and any unattributable spikes from LL usage. I doubt the T would want to wait a month at this rate

LL sounds dodgy and unlikely to provide the E.on bill, neither will E.on without a little subterfuge. T could report a faulty meter and supply the unique meter number rather than account number. Steve's last post has good advice.

T is needs to be pro-active to sort this before next voyage.

Maybe thats why T has come to CAG to ask advice.

Hi

I dont know if this may be of use but may be of some help its the Association of Meter Operators website

Heres the Link www.meteroperators.org.uk

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi

I dont know if this may be of use but may be of some help its the Association of Meter Operators website

Heres the Link www.meteroperators.org.uk

Some good info on there, good find..

If the OP does find out if the LL is also using the meter, then perhaps get in contact with the above website or fill in the form here

http://www.ukrpa.co.uk/Report+Fraud

At least it will be investigated, but check first that you wont be out of pocket in way of being charged to in regards to some one checking the meter.

I'm not sure about feeder cables myself, how ever I received an email this afternoon, I turned the main power off last Saturday and recorded the readings, I went back last night to collect some things and to check the readings again and they where the same, the email today said they where concerned that our meter was very active (I'm guessing today) and they are worried we have left something on when I blatantly have not, maybe trying to cover them selves?

I'm not sure about feeder cables myself, how ever I received an email this afternoon, I turned the main power off last Saturday and recorded the readings, I went back last night to collect some things and to check the readings again and they where the same, the email today said they where concerned that our meter was very active (I'm guessing today) and they are worried we have left something on when I blatantly have not, maybe trying to cover them selves?

Are you going to put the electric account in your name ? so you get the bills and stop your LL from ripping you off !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

I don't see how I can as all his 5 properties come under the one bill supposidly and he just divides the bill up depending on each individual meter reading, and he's not gonna let us take control of our bill ourselves we asked this when we first found out about the whole 'having to pay him' for the electric business. So I feel abit stuck there's not alot I can do without actually seeing our bill. The other annoying thing is I'm paying rent there but my gf is staying at my parents whilst I'm away at sea, we just want out ASAP

Every time I email him the link to the ofgem site about having to show us the bill he ignores us. He doesn't want us seeing it and us still trying to put us off by the £80 plus VAT for his accountant to go to the trouble of showing it to us plus the LL wants to charge us for the trouble to himself to!!

I don't see how I can as all his 5 properties come under the one bill supposidly and he just divides the bill up depending on each individual meter reading, and he's not gonna let us take control of our bill ourselves we asked this when we first found out about the whole 'having to pay him' for the electric business. So I feel abit stuck there's not alot I can do without actually seeing our bill. The other annoying thing is I'm paying rent there but my gf is staying at my parents whilst I'm away at sea, we just want out ASAP

One way to find out

There should be a serial number on the meter,make a note of that,take a meter reading then ring a utility supplier up you want to use and given them the serial number and address,then they should be able to tell you if it's a meter owned by utility supplier or ,if they have No record it must be a private meter owned by the LL who reselling

All utility supplier,s in the UK have access to a central data base that has details of who the meter belongs to and who is the utility supplier at that address is.

Hope you can understand me

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Call his bluff and tell him as soon as you have seen the bill you will pay him the £80. See what excuse he comes up with.

So he says that 5 properties on one bill?? Each separate meter should have its own bill. I would report this to Eon asap and see what they have to say.

You are entitled to see the bill before you pay it and he certainly cannot charge you £80 to see it.

I am going to flag this up with the Eon Rep on here and see if they can throw some light on to the situation.

45002, I believe the meter serial number will always show the owner to be a power co, as all meters are their property. However it may indicate the property address in which is was installed. There are many disconnected meters in demolished/derelict properties for illicit reuse. Never heard of any meter listing owner as LL/owner-occupier/T.

OP just get on to E.on billing dept, ask to speak to dept manager and explain. Escalate to complaint, if nec, then refer to Ofgen

45002, I believe the meter serial number will always show the owner to be a power co, as all meters are their property. However it may indicate the property address in which is was installed. There are many disconnected meters in demolished/derelict properties for illicit reuse. Never heard of any meter listing owner as LL/owner-occupier/T.

OP just get on to E.on billing dept, ask to speak to dept manager and explain. Escalate to complaint, if nec, then refer to Ofgen

mariner51,did you read my post propel..

One way to find out

There should be a serial number on the meter,make a note of that,take a meter reading then ring a utility supplier up you want to use and given them the serial number and address,then they should be able to tell you if it's a meter owned by utility supplier or ,if they have No record it must be a private meter owned by the LL who reselling

All utility supplier,s in the UK have access to a central data base that has details of who the meter belongs to and who is the utility supplier at that address is.

Hope you can understand me

Eon can only talk to the account holder of the bill who is the landlord

I have messaged the Eon rep to take a look at the thread. I am hoping she may be able to throw a little light onto the situation.

As i posted early on

The Eon rep is only going to be able to talk to the account holder about the bills and that's the LL
Edited by 45002

Originally Posted by 45002

The Eon rep is only going to be able to talk to the account holder about the bills and that's the LL

i understand that, but she will be able to advise what the op can do with regards to the situation and what the landlord can and cannot charge.

Hi bendall34,

To be honest with you I'm not sure I'm going to be able to give much information, as these sorts of disputes are what we class as third party disputes.

We can't make the LL show you the bill and as the account is currently in his name we will only discuss the account with him.

Do you have your own meters that just supply your house? or are these sub meters?

We may be able to put the account in your name if you send us your TA we might be able back date this to the date and meter readings from when you moved in, However, we won't be able to do this if you have sub meters and this will also leave you with the issue that you have already paid the LL and again it will be up to you to get this money back from him to enable you to pay the account as we will have billed it from the start of your tenancy.

I'm sorry I can't really offer any more info than this, we are tied when it comes to third party disputes with LL's and tenants.

If you need to speak to E.ON further then I would suggest the best people to go to are the Directors' Office especially if you feel there may be some tampering with the meter.

Helena

Thanks for your advice as I thought I didn't think you could do much because of the bill being in his name, as far as I can tell there must be one main Meter and ours have the 2 sub meters for economy 7.

I know you can't give me any specific information regarding the landlords bill, but can I ask what the standing charges range from? As I'm paying over 30p per day which seems a little steep.

Regards Ben

Thanks for your advice as I thought I didn't think you could do much because of the bill being in his name, as far as I can tell there must be one main Meter and ours have the 2 sub meters for economy 7.

I know you can't give me any specific information regarding the landlords bill, but can I ask what the standing charges range from? As I'm paying over 30p per day which seems a little steep.

Regards Ben

Have you tried what I suggested

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?332560-Landlord-refuses-to-show-us-our-electric-bill!&p=3680666&viewfull=1#post3680666

Can you upload a picture of this sub meter....

Regards Ben

Hi Bendall34,

If you have a standard Economy 7 meter, then we don't charge a daily standing, we have a day primary and secondary rate and a night rate.

So you will pay the primary rate for the first 225 kWh used per quarter, the secondary rate applies to all units used after this, then the night rate applies to all units used between the night times.

The actual unit prices depend on area.

We do offer a daily standing charge with some tariffs these are normally things like economy 10, or RHT.

I am sorry you are going through this and that I can't really help you very much. I really hope you get things resolved.

Helena