• Tweets

• From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
    • Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Life after bankruptcy-personally and professionally

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2463 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was and in some case's still is those vile companies methods of scaring people to pay... they hint at MIGHTS, COULDS AND IFS, BUT IN THE END IT IS THE COUNTY COURT JUDGE WHO HAS THE LAST SAY. If you ever get one for Northampton Bulk Court challenge to have it heard at your own court. This is good to stop some of them in there tracks as they know the expense will rise and if you are paying token payments and your IE is legit then in 99% of cases the Judge will not be a happy bunny for wasting the courts time. Unlike P1 I still have a property, granted in neg equity but I am only holding on till my youngest hits 18, they are with Mrs ex-Hippy but least they have a bolt hole while younger ( only three years to go ) I owe £40k in unsecured debts and have been paying token payments for three years. Have stopped paying two because they got greedy and then could not produce CCA Still not seen the inside of a court room.. ( makes you think ) probably put the kiss of death on it now. But even if I get a summons, the good people on here are ready for the fight. This site to me is like a second family, ( as my dear ones never see me anymore anyway )

so after my youngest reaches 18 that it will be sold and Hippy off to girlee-friends to live.. Will probably then seek BR and just finish the rest of me day's in peace hopefully....

So yes, pass no heed to what they say,,, even if it goes to court and doubt it very much ( what have you got a CCJ ) think about it your record is shot to heck anyway so why worry...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Happyhippy1959

That was and in some case's still is those vile companies methods of scaring people to pay... they hint at MIGHTS, COULDS AND IFS, BUT IN THE END IT IS THE COUNTY COURT JUDGE WHO HAS THE LAST SAY. If you ever get one for Northampton Bulk Court challenge to have it heard at your own court. This is good to stop some of them in there tracks as they know the expense will rise and if you are paying token payments and your IE is legit then in 99% of cases the Judge will not be a happy bunny for wasting the courts time. Unlike P1 I still have a property, granted in neg equity but I am only holding on till my youngest hits 18, they are with Mrs ex-Hippy but least they have a bolt hole while younger ( only three years to go ) I owe £40k in unsecured debts and have been paying token payments for three years. Have stopped paying two because they got greedy and then could not produce CCA Still not seen the inside of a court room.. ( makes you think ) probably put the kiss of death on it now. But even if I get a summons, the good people on here are ready for the fight. This site to me is like a second family, ( as my dear ones never see me anymore anyway )

so after my youngest reaches 18 that it will be sold and Hippy off to girlee-friends to live.. Will probably then seek BR and just finish the rest of me day's in peace hopefully....

So yes, pass no heed to what they say,,, even if it goes to court and doubt it very much ( what have you got a CCJ ) think about it your record is shot to heck anyway so why worry...

So do I..... just not the one that got repossessed..... :eyebrows:

Each situation is different..... there's little point in relying on the 12 year stat. barred rule here though because your token payments will count as an acknowledgement each time you make one. If you want to be totally free in less time, then BR might be the route for you. If you can't go BR for other reasons, then the token payment route may be right for you. I was not in a position to consider BR at the time, which is why I went down the token payment route but it may not be the right one for you.

Only you can make that decision.

P1, how long did you make token payments for your mortgage shortfall? what was your f&f? I think someone on here had a shortfall debt similar to ours and paid a f&f of just £2k!!

I ask about how long you pad the token payment before they got sick of you is because does that not effect your credit file every month that passes that you pay? when you pay f&f, does the debt clear off my credit file immediately?

nope nothing clears a debt off your CRA file unless you cut an F&F deal that the OC does that before they get the F&F.

other than that it's 6yrs from you last financial transaction.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

nope nothing clears a debt off your CRA file unless you cut an F&F deal that the OC does that before they get the F&F.

other than that it's 6yrs from you last financial transaction.

dx

so if i offer the mortgage company a f&f i can afford in order to avoid the horrid BR and its complications and they agree to remove it off my file prior to f&f that will be done, right?

ofcourse the same with any debt.

you can make any conditions you like

but so can they!

if they agree is a totally diff kettle of fish but there are successes

p'haps not in your circumstances or with NW

but thats the gamble you take.

accept my offer of £xxxx or else i'll have to go BK.

see no.7. in my sig for the official views.........

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

P1, how long did you make token payments for your mortgage shortfall? what was your f&f? I think someone on here had a shortfall debt similar to ours and paid a f&f of just £2k!!

I ask about how long you pad the token payment before they got sick of you is because does that not effect your credit file every month that passes that you pay? when you pay f&f, does the debt clear off my credit file immediately?

The shortfall was £52K (according to their paperwork). I wrote and requested that the shortfall be split in half because I felt my ex should take responsibility and share the burden, to be honest. :mad2: They agreed to this, although they didn't have to. I then suggested token payments to keep them off my back;£5 a month with interest frozen. They suggested £10 but I got it down to £5 without too much trouble.

This was paid regularly and on time for around 3 years before receiving a phone call asking if I'd be interested in making a F&F. :spy: They wanted £4k but I didn't have £4K.... so the token payments continued. After around 5 years of token payments, I contacted them myself because I wanted to be free of it, to be honest... I had another property and didn't want them to find out and although they could easily have done a check at the Land Registry, they hadn't, didn't seem to know about it and I certainly wasn't going to tell them!

Anyway, I said that all I could off was £500 as a F&F settlement (which incidentally, was true). The lady on the other end said that she would need to discuss it with her manager but that I would hear from them again soon.

The following day, I received a letter accepting the £500 F&F and that Experian would be updated to reflect the settlement. There was no 3rd party involvement re. sending the payment and no comeback. This was all just over 12 years ago now and no-one else bothered me again during all of that time....

This was all handled by the original creditor and never went to a DCA.

:-)

ofcourse the same with any debt.

you can make any conditions you like

but so can they!

if they agree is a totally diff kettle of fish but there are successes

p'haps not in your circumstances or with NW

but thats the gamble you take.

accept my offer of £xxxx or else i'll have to go BK.

see no.7. in my sig for the official views.........

f & f might have to be considered as i am so scared of BR :(

• 2 months later...

I suspect a credit will make me BR mid-term or i may have to do it voluntary....I have noticed in my TA that there is a clause that "if during your TA you become BR you will be in breach of contract and eviction proceedings will commence".......

what does that mean for me? can i never rent again and that means i will always be homeless as i would not qualify for social housing upon eviction.......i am very worried.......(:

I have a few questions over BR. I suspect a creditor will make me BR or i will voluntary declare BR......

Professionally

1.as a company director of a LTD Co, i understand i cannot be a director and would have to trade as a sole trader. assuming i am discharged after 12 months.....can i go back to trading as a LTD Co? if so, how long after will the BR be wiped off my credit file and i can apply for credit in the usual way?

Personally

1.Assuming i am discharged after 12 months, how long after will the BR be wiped off my credit file? when can i apply for a mortgage again and other credit? how long after discharge do i have to declare BR?

can anyone suggest how, as a sole trader,during BR and after discharge, how do I operate transactions/payments from clients if i am unable to have a card processing machine as assuming the creditor will not allow such facility if i am BR.......

Hi,

Can answer you personal questions, the Business questions need answering by someone with more detailed knowledge in that field.

Personal:

Your Bankruptcy will be on your credit reference file for 6years from date of your Bankruptcy.

With regards to obtaining a mortgage and other credit, each lender has their own different set of credit scoring and criteria, some will accept you, others will decline you.

Only thing I will recommend is not to try too many lenders in a short period of time, this can go against you on your credit report and some credit scoring.

After discharge from Bankruptcy, your a free person to do as you please, you are free of all restrictions.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

With regards to the business question as long as you have do not have a BRO after discharge you can become a Director again as soon as you have been discharged. With regards to your credit file this will be the same as Stigman says six years. You can apply for credit in the normal way but obvioulsy if they do a personal search on the Directors of the company your BR will show up but you do not have to declare your BR for credit over £500 as you do when you are undicharged

Hello there,

Do you have any rent arrears? If you do not you may find that the landlord is happy to keep you as a tenant - even though there is the clause. Before making any decisions it could be worth have a chat with the landlord to put them in the picture. Usually these clauses exist to evict people who have rent arrears as they would be included within the bankruptcy.

You can find out more about bankruptcy via our fact sheet here: http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=01_bankruptcy

Best wishes,

National Debtline.

For Free, Confidential and Independent advice: 0808 808 4000

Monday - Friday 9am to 9pm // Saturday 9.30am to 1pm // 24-hour voicemail. Please leave a message to request an information pack. http://www.nationaldebtline.org // http://www.mymoneysteps.org

• 1 month later...

Hi I have the same happen to me this week!!!

The Halifax sent me a letter with an offer, so I rang and told them I was discharged 2yrs ago.

They said I would now get the money.

Two weeks later and no money!!!!

I have been on the phone everyday checking that they were sending it to me and then I rang the insolvency people to ask the question and guess what... Yes that's right , they had had my cheque!!!!!!

I have gone ballistic at the Halifax for being lead on ,fibbed off and lied to for the last three weeks.

I am now waiting for a manager to get back to me so I will keep you posted.

The ppi money was nothing to do with my bankruptcy]