• Tweets

• is the side street solely for access to your garages? who owns the land and thus the road? dx  
    • A local business has been parking on an off-street parking space in front of my garages (in a side street).  I wasn't using them for a while so didnt bother to do anything.  But now a second local business is also using the osp - taking it in turns with the 1st biz.  This has started to nark me.    The employees choose to drive to work.  There is no private parking in their business's street.  But there are some underground secure garages in their street - which cost apx £2.4k/y to rent - which works out apx £6.60/d. (I believe one of the biz owners already rent one for storage purposes).  If the employee had to park on a meter it would cost them £6.60/h - £66 for 10h and have to move every 4h.  They just don't want to pay for parking. I haven't confronted either of them.  Instead I just put 2 clear "no parking" signs in front of the garages. And a note on one of the cars specifically saying that as they don't live or rent in the street and it's private land could they stop parking.   They ignored that.  And just put notes on their dash with a # to call if one needs the car moved.  There is a sign and they've been told in writing to stop parking. And they are just ignoring it.    I don't what a confrontation.    I don't want to go to the expense of bollards (other than maybe traffic plastic ones - but they'll probs just move them).  Council won't do zilch cos it's private land. And police won't get involved - unless I clamp/ tow the cars and then they'd be after me, not the drivers!    What's the best thing to do?
    • yes might be the best idea. you'd only at best get 8% flat interest and that unusual on a GOGW if this was what it was. simply contact the FOS and let them know its resolved. dx  
    • If you’ve ever wondered how you might fare in armed combat, the first 20 minutes of Steven Spielberg’s Saving Private Ryan is likely to make you thank your lucky stars you were born too late to storm the Normandy beaches on June 6 1944. I suspect many of us might be driven to identify with those men who were absolutely turned to stone by fear. And yet these young men, mainly conscripts, screwed their courage to the sticking point and did the job the fate had chosen for them, heroes all.   .. UK PM Sunak perhaps thinks he understands mind numbing fear better than many as he dishonorably fled the beachhead to do nothing more than double down on dishonest spin and lies from the safety of a UK studio .. The Normandy heroes who not only held their positions, but advanced through hell to a victory that changed the entire course of history .. undoubtedly hold a different perspective.     from a perspective in TheConversation     .. 'That was the slot that sunaks team offered for the interview
    • Yes, send a message to the purchaser but keep it very friendly and simply that you noticed that the package has now been delivered.  I suggest that you ask them if they want to keep the package still or if they would rather return it and that if they want to keep it then please will they return your payment to you to your PayPal address. Keep it as polite and friendly as possible and then we will decide what to do if he doesn't reply or refuses.  Meanwhile I will have a look at Google earth and see if you are able to spot the gas meter outside the house to get an idea if the delivery is real. Get a screenshot
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bong v HSBC *Contractual Interest & 13yr claim**WON!!!**

Guest bong
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok folks, well I was invited over to a friend's place for coffee this morning, and I went even though I knew I shoulda been slaving over a hot printer. Hadn't even started yet - oops! When I returned home at 11.30 there was a gorgeous email sitting in my inbox from DG solicitors

without prejudice

Thank you for your letter of 12th March 2007 which we have considered in detail. We trust you are now recovered from your recent illness.

As you know, it is our view that you have misunderstood the position in relation to the Limitation Act and that point has been well rehearsed in correspondence between us. In addition there is, in our view, no possibility of the court, on any basis, awarding you compound interest on any aspect of your claim. There is clear House of Lords authority on this point - Westdeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale -v- Islington Borough Council [1996] 2 All ER 961.

Further, we think it is extremely unlikely that a court would both award interest on the charges and award an amount representing bank interest charged.

HSBC is, however, always mindful of the commercial realities of litigation in the small claims regime. For that reason alone, and without any admission of liability whatsoever, our client is prepared to increase its offer to you as follows:-

charges £2374.50

overdraft interest £431.03

8% interest on 2374.50 for 6 years £1139.76

court costs £255

Total £4200.29

We trust the matter can be resolved on this basis. Please revert to us today and we can arrange payment into your account overnight.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

ok, so then when I examined their figure for 8% interest I realised that they had calculated a straight 8% on the whole sum for one year and multiplied it by 6, in effect offering interest on the whole amount of the charges over a 6 year period, rather than 8% on each charge from the date it was incurred. My spreadsheet confirmed that working out 8% simple interest on each charge and the overdraft interest aswell, only added up to £840.70 over 13 years! Therefore what they had offered me equated to 8.235% compound interest on the charges and overdraft interest over the 13 years, plus I recognised that I could get this increased to include their calculation of 8% (8.235% compound in reality) on the overdraft interest aswell. I had no idea whether they would realise what they had done and whether or not it was intentional. So I sent back this letter by email

Thank you for your letter of today’s date, forwarded by email.

I have noted your views in relation to whether the court would be minded to award interest on the charges as well as overdraft interest charged. I am afraid that I do not understand the logic behind this. The overdraft interest charged forms a part of the principal claim, it matters not whether this part of the claim was interest or charges, as neither should have been debited to the account and represent monies that I have paid and have been denied use of. I therefore consider that I am entitled to claim interest on it. In view of this, I will accept a revised offer to include interest on the £431.03 overdraft interest charged. This would be as follows:

Charges £2,374.50

Overdraft interest £431.03

8% interest on £2,805.53 for 6 years £1,346.65

Court costs £255.00

Total £4,407.18

If you could revert to me today and confirm that £4,407.18 will be deposited in my account overnight, then I will write to the court and cancel the proceedings. If not, then I am unable to agree a settlement of this with you out of court.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

What this meant in fact was that they would be agreeing to 9.34% compound interest on all the charges and overdraft interest from the date of each charge over the 13 years.

I had to weigh up the fact that I knew they really didn't want to go to court against the fact that it is not a certainty that I would get the full 15.9% compound interest if I went to court, and may even just get 8% simple interest (i.e. £840.70 over 13 years).

I then had to await their reply which came through just before 3pm

Thank you for your letter of today's date forwarded by e-mail.

Whilst we do not agree with your points our client has in mind the costs of attending court and, for that reason alone, accepts your counter offer in the sum of £4407.18. This sum will be credited to your account and should show in the morning.

As agreed you will then withdraw your claim and we will also inform the court that the matter has been resolved.

Yours faithfully

So I am really really really pleased and more than satisfied with the outcome because I've no idea what sort of fight I would have had in court for the 15.9% interest and they had atleast backed down on the statute barred argument and I got compound interest at 9.34% for the 13 years (who knows if they even realised it - they are solicitors and not accountants after all!). Plus of course, I didn't have to actually go through with the hearing and spend the next 2 days and nights printing and stressing out over it.

So there you go, an account of my exciting day, and we're having takeaway tonight. Mum's on strike!!! no more debts!!! I can now afford to clear everything and have a sizeable chunk leftover - who knows if I might even get a holiday out of this. haven't been away for years!!! wooohoooo!!! And I won't be forgetting my donation to CAG when the money comes through, thank you everyone for your wonderful support through this. I won't be disappearing, this place has become like a second home to me and if I can help anyone out with their +6 year claims I will. I hope it is a lesson to you all that it can be done...just stick to your guns and believe in your case like I did.

They know they can't win in court and I would have made them look very silly for not having been able to mount a defence that even complied with the CPR. That's HSBC Bank not mickey mouse!!

keep at it fellow CAGgers! you will WIN.

bloody brilliant bong

Well done mate!

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Wow - well done you!!! Me next, me next, me next...:)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

thanks Bookie, I've always been envious of other people getting one of those cheerin' n dancin' messages off you!

Well Done and well earnt

MY CASE

Newbody Vs Abbey

NB: Please read the FAQs & step-by-step instructions thoroughly & completely before commencing any action

the following is a link to a web archive of abbey websites over the time click on month under year to access Abbey's site for that time period to get what the terms and conditions were for when you opened your account Internet Archive Wayback Machine hope it helps or here for where i have started to pull them out to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91707-archives-abbeys-web-pages.html

Advice & opinions given by me are my views or how i would respond, and are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group & are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions & actions are your own - if in any doubt, seek the opinion of a qualified professional

Way to go Bong, enjoy it :)

Dont Rush - Take Your Time - Dont always take me seriously

:p

If you feel i have helped you then click

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

MBNA - Case Charges+PPI+CI+LA+Damages+costs

RBS Credit Card - Case Charges+CI+LA+Costs

Barclays - Case Charges+CI+LA+Damages+costs

Halifax - Case Charges+CI+Damages+costs

Online Finance - Case Charge+CI+Damages+costs

Outstanding Bong.. Richly deserved victory.. :D

Stay safe

Firemagi

-------------------------------------------------------------

And in a change from my normal tag line.......

Bong screwed unto HSBC as they screwed unto her ;)

Screw unto others as they screw unto you.

Active Cases:

HSBC Current Account - £3068.00 - Prelim Sent 27/03/07 - LBA Sent 12/04/07

Halifax Credit Card - DPA SAR Sent 27/03/07

MBNA Credit Card - DPA and CCA SARs sent 27/03/07

Pending Cases:

HSBC Joint Account

Lloyds TSB Current Account

Lloyds TSB Credit Card

Creation Financial Store Card

GE Capital Store Card x 2

Bong, thats bloomin fantastic - well done!!!:D Inspirational and very well deserved.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

hot damn, girl!

couldn't happen to a nicer lady!

now we have a happy story to point to.........

THREE CHEERS FOR BONG,

HIP-HIP HURRAH!

HIP-HIP HURRAH!

HIP-HIP HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now take a well earned rest!

what you going to do with all that paper?

DING DONG, BONG! CONGRATULATIONS!!

I think I’ll sing a song, Bong

The road was very long, Bong

But you stayed strong, Bong

And you weren’t wrong, Bong

So you deserve a gong, Bong

Els

lol:D

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

well done its been a long haul for you enjoy!!!

HSBC Full offer accepted!!£3613.39 :D

(Payment paid into bank 29/01/07)!!

A & L offer recived in full

account threat of closure

reported to FOS 5/04/07

Mint offer accepted in full

Studio Pre lim sent 05/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

Awaiting SAR doc from Creation finance

Bong -

Many, many

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I'm truly, genuinely, totally and honestly delighted for you. You have nerves of steel and the endurance of one of those bullfrogs that mates for about three days at a time! :D:D:D Your story and your contributions have been a huge help to many, many people.

Great stuff - well done. Enjoy it!! And make sure you keep some back for that holiday. You richly deserve it.

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

avatar30418_61.gifavatar30418_61.gifavatar30418_61.gifavatar30418_61.gifavatar30418_61.gifavatar30418_61.gif

Well Done!

Soooooo pleased for you ... you deserve every penny .. enjoy the money & hope you get a well deserved holiday

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)