Parking 'fine' at a Lidi car park by a company called Athena

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few weeks ago I got a charge certificate well that's what they called it for over staying at a Lidi car park by a company called Athena. So as soon as i got it i thought it was a joke after all it looks so fake. But anyway something told me I did not really have to pay it. So i looked on you tube and found a video say there really have no powers to do this sort of thing, and after doing a little more research i found this was pretty much true. So I'm not going to pay it. So move forward a few weeks, I now have a second letter saying I now have to pay the full price and if not they will send around a debt collection company to get it . So now I have a few questions

1 If the debt collection company come to my door how can i stop them from getting in

2 How long will this go on for

3 And is there any one in these forums that has had this sort of thing happen, and what was the out come

thanks to anyone who can help. I will keep you up dated

1) If a DCA turns up at your door, tell them to get lost - they have no powers at all.

2) How long is a piece of string?

3) Loads of people have experienced this (up to now I have been lucky) and I am sure that somebody will be along soon to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to CAG :-)

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

ignore

and it is NOT a fine

its a speculative invoice

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As hungry boss has said there really is nothing to worry about. Athena are a regular amongst the private parking brigade and we have heard from them on numerous occasions. Their claim - which is nothing more than a speculative invoice. I'm quite sure that if I was to send you an invoice for £75 simply because you share the same air as I breathe you'd not pay it. That's about the strength of the PPC argument.

You can safely ignore their demands and move on with your life.

To answer you questions:

1. If a DCA actually turns up at your address (extremely unlikely for the size of debt they are alleging - and who says that the debt exists?) simply invite them to go forth and never to darken your door again. DCA's have absolutely no more power to enforce debts than you and I - but they want you to believe otherwise. In the modern vernacular tell them to "do one".

2. You will probably get a few more letters. Some will use block capitals and red ink (woooo) and threaten that they may do all sorts of things. The reality is that they will do nothing.

3. Yes, and the vast, vast majority have safely ignored these demands without any issue whatsoever. I have a old yellowing series of letters from a PPC just waiting for the day when they issue the court proceedings they threatened. I gave up holding my breath a long time ago.

Some PPC's do occasional issue proceedings but Athena is not one of them.

Just to help things move along quickly - i.e. for the letters to stop sooner rather than later - do not reply to them verbally or in writing. Getting a response is what they want as they then know that they hooked a live fish and the number of letters actually increases. Also make sure that you do not ever get sucked into the idea of appealing. There isn't a PPC that has an appeals process worthy of the name and the process is about extracting more details from you - such as an admission that you or your other half, for example, was driving.

1 If the debt collection company come to my door how can i stop them from getting in

Don't invite them in. What are they going to do? Force their way in? No way - and what if they did - what would they do then? Get themselves arrested for tresspass and get the sack too. These guys are just goons with no legal powers whatsoever, and if they were ever to take someone's property it would be theft, just as if you or I did.

2 How long will this go on for

Until it gets through to them that they are wasting their time and you're not paying.

3 And is there any one in these forums that has had this sort of thing happen, and what was the out come

Nothing. Nothing happens. They can't do anything. It's a bluff to get you to cough up. Don't!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again

First of all I would like to say thank you to everyone who replied to my message, well since then i have got another two letters one reminding me to pay the out standing fine which i have not done and the second one telling me its gone to a debt collector if full payment is not made in 7 days after which the debt (which debt i owe them nothing) will go up they have also said failing to pay may result in a county court judgement that would affect my credit rating.

The following action following a County Court Judgement is a follows

1 Bailiffs

2 Attachment of Earning Order

3 Third Party Debt Order

So all I what to know is were do I stand now.And just for the record I'm still not going to pay at this time,will keep you up to date thanks again for the replies

You stand where you always stood. You should expect letters deliberately intended to make you worry, and this is one of them.

You have another bit of paper. That's all. Line a hamster cage with it and get on with more important things.

its all bluff and bluster

totally ignore

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello again

First of all I would like to say thank you to everyone who replied to my message, well since then i have got another two letters one reminding me to pay the out standing fine which i have not done and the second one telling me its gone to a debt collector if full payment is not made in 7 days after which the debt (which debt i owe them nothing) will go up they have also said failing to pay may result in a county court judgement that would affect my credit rating.

The following action following a County Court Judgement is a follows

1 Bailiffs

2 Attachment of Earning Order

3 Third Party Debt Order

So all I what to know is were do I stand now.And just for the record I'm still not going to pay at this time,will keep you up to date thanks again for the replies

The demand will be shot through with Ifs Buts and maybes, they are highly unlikely to take you to, court as it means they have to justify to a judge that their unlawful civil penalty is proportionate to their loss, which as Lidl normally has free parking is NIL so it is best to follow the established pack drill, Ignore

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Ok now we get onto serious advice as you have got to Debt collectors.

Step

1. Ignore

2. make a cup of tea and watch Corrie ( if your into that sort of thing) Oh and ignore

3. if all else fails goto 1

My daughter have loads and she has

Contacted them 0

appealed 0

dealt with debt collectors 0

Dealt with Baliffs 0

are you seeing a trend yet ??

Been to court 0

And finally

Paid any money to a PPC 0

Enjoy the free fire lighters when they come. But pls goto 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again just a little up date regarding my so called parking fine. I got a letter today by a debt company calling them self Legal Recoveries & collections Ltd (LRC) saying if I don't pay the outstanding fine they will start Court proceeding. I'm still standing my ground and refuse to pay it, Unless the replies on this blog tell me differently.

Thanks again for all your help so far

Nathan Gunn

Hello again just a little up date regarding my so called parking fine. I got a letter today by a debt company calling them self Legal Recoveries & collections Ltd (LRC) saying if I don't pay the outstanding fine they will start Court proceeding. I'm still standing my ground and refuse to pay it, Unless the replies on this blog tell me differently.

Thanks again for all your help so far

Nathan Gunn

Short of loo paper?

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received another letter from Legal Recovers & Collections Ltd (LRC) saying this is a Final Demand and if I don't pay it they will consider Court action to recover the debt, by way of issue of a County Court Claim Form. So what do i do, do I just wait for this so called form to turn up or hope they know the're wasting their time and don't send one. I'm starting to get a little worried now so if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to all my messages

If you get worried they are winnning and your falling for their trap.

Ignor this letter, ignor the next and ignor the next.

The ONLY exception to the ignor rule would be a letter that has a court stamp on it (extremly unlikely that will happen).

For everything else the ignor rule applies.

The county court form will not turn up. Some PPCs have been known to send out fake forms to scare people but there haven't been any documented instances of this happening for quite a while. You can quite safely continue to ignore these jokers and laugh at how much paper and stamps they are wasting. Given the tone of their letters, you may well be nearly at the end of the "chain". Just hang in there and don't be tempted to send them anything.

I have just received another letter from Legal Recovers & Collections Ltd (LRC) saying this is a Final Demand and if I don't pay it they will consider Court action to recover the debt, by way of issue of a County Court Claim Form. So what do i do, do I just wait for this so called form to turn up or hope they know the're wasting their time and don't send one. I'm starting to get a little worried now so if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to all my messages

:lol:not the one with the pretty looking scales of justice on it

they've never ever gone near court

silly beggars

dx

and they

The key word was "consider" they will spend one nano second considering how unpleasant for them to have to be at the receiving end of a judgement against them. When you go through these splendid letters deleting every action modified by a may might could possible etc you are left with Dear xxx We want you to give us huge amounts of money otherwise we will scream and scream till we are sick.

They are not fines and if the document put on the vehicle pretends to be a statutory notice or they claim to have any powers to fine ape the appearance of a real PCN then they are breaking he law.