Employment/Work and asscioated benefits woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been signing on for a whole now with no real empoent prospects. I have however found a possible contract were I would be self employed. The hours would be 10 per week.

I have literally no idea jow to go about being self employed.

What about tax credits?

Is their funding available?

What about starting university?

Any input appreciated

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been into the no jobs centre to ask about help becoming self employed. I've been offered a job and they wants me to start next week. I just wanted to speak to someone about what I'm supposed to do ie the tax office and how to get the enterprise allowance. The "advisor" said they haven't got any appointments for three weeks...no use to me!!

He told me I could start and work about 8 hours to start with and still sign on. Surely that would have hmrc implications?? He also told me to "look online"!!!

I thought the job centre were supposed to get you back into work not put hurdles in the way!!!

I would ask to speak to one of the JC managers. The advisors are good, but in SOME (not all) job centres, they just want to get rid of people as fast as possible so they dont have to do much work. My local JC is like that.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I'm self-employed (for 15 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds per week) and claim JSA. If you want to be self-employed, just register with HMRC and get the ball rolling. Inform DWP about any income you receive (I have a £5 disregard each week for any self-employed income) ..... you don't have to wait 3 weeks to see someone first. Don't forget to let HB and CT know as well ...

I'm just investigating NEA .... think I will change over when my contribution-based JSA ends and before income-based kicks in.

Good luck!

Impecunious! :-)

Yeah he said because the hours are minimal I could still sign on but I don't want to, I'd rather be poor than have to deal with them. I was under the impression you had to go/get new enterprise allowance through the job centre?

In going to uni in September so it's just a way of getting the no jobs centre off my case.

Yes, you have to go through Knob Centre to get NEA .... but you don't have to be getting NEA to start being self-employed.

P.S. The Knob Centre didn't even tell me about NEA when I first signed on ... NOT very helpful.

You simply declare any part time self employed work when you sign on and will be asked to comlete a form A15c to give information abou the type of work you are doing, and form B7 which you complete every fortnight to declare hours and when wages are expected and received.

You can ask about the NEA and to have an appointment booked to see your adviser or if you aren't bothered you can state that you are happy to see a different adviser to discuss your options. The advisers diaries do get booked up quickly and it isn't inheard of to not have any spare appointments for a couple of weeks (especiallly if there is annual leave booked).

If you're expecting to bring home more than £71 pw (assuming that's your weekly JSA payment) when you start self-employment, isn't it better to just sign off and get the Knob Centre off your back? I know I would certainly consider it. It's far easier to get more work if you're already out there! If your future earnings drop below £71 pw or work dries up and there is nothing you can do about it, I believe you can legitimately sign on again. If you're still on a low income, it shouldn't affect your HB or CT benefits too much. It's a case of nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Personally, I would be delighted if my self-employment started to produce income.

I think the NEA process takes so long because you have to put forward a sound business plan for approval and it has to be viable and sustainable - this obviously takes time and I think business mentors come into play, as well as local networking clubs for support. After all, the DWP aren't going to just give away NEAs to all and sundry.

If you have guaranteed work - why not go for it?

I'm self-employed (for 15 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds per week)

Ha ha, love that!

Her new book 'Playing The System For All It's Worth' is available at branches of WH Smith and all good book stores :) Put me down for 10 copies :)

Ha ha, love that!

Her new book 'Playing The System For All It's Worth' is available at branches of WH Smith and all good book stores :) Put me down for 10 copies :)

I've never played the system in my life!

I was just advised by the Knob Centre that I wasn't allowed to sign on if I was self-employed for more than 16 hours a week, so 15 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds is officially the time I spend each week designing and making stuff, building up my stock until such times as I'm ready to start selling again! :-) Then, when I start receiving an income or find a full-time job, I'll sign off .......................... Until then and, once I've religiously completed all my proscribed job search activity as laid down in my JSAg, I'm never far from my stash of fabric, my trusty crochet hook, my knitting needles and my paper-cutting machine :-)

I'm merely adhering to the letter of the law and not playing the system! :-) (I trust your order for 10 copies of my latest book doesn't exceed my weekly £5 disregard!)

Sounds like you're well-organised! I was also self-employed once for a while so I know the importance of A) Knowing the rules and B) making good use of them.

If you ever see a little book called 'Bureaucrats And How To Annoy Them', buy it - it'll be just up your street. I read it in the 80's in my local library and it was full of wonderful tips like putting a stamp in the middle of the envelope so it would screw up the system and they'd have to hand-process it at the post office, and the best one was if you get a form to fill in which has a bit at the bottom saying 'For our use only - do not write in this space', you gently rub a candle over this area so it stops them writing in it. Pure anarchy!

It's good to laugh!! I'm not your typical anarchist but .. and there's always a but ... I could never be a total conformist and I hate being put into a box and labelled. I jump through whatever hoops I have to in full knowledge that they're just hoops ... a girl has to do what a girl has to do. I've survived this long without too much injury. Nod and smile is my favourite way of dealing with stuff but, if they want war, they get it -- in bucketfuls. I'll look out for that book ..... it's very passive anarchy - a bit like Ghandi.

(After my obligatory job search activity yesterday) I re-stuffed my cushions!! Very satisfying. :lol: (And after yet more obligatory job search activity this morning) I'm going to work on the allotment. Those beds won't level themselves :-)

Have a good day everyone.

P.S. **** That book is now out of print -- cheapest copy I've seen to buy is just under £40.00 ............. there must be a great national need to annoy bureaucrats!! :-) Can't think why!

Edited by impecunious
New info

H i folks,

Three years back when i was working between 10 - 15 hours a week and signing on the advisor I saw was really good. Admittedly he was only on a short contract and it was due to end but he advised me to become self employed. This was just before I started my degree and I received £50 per week even when at Uni until the 26 week period was up. Informing the tax people was done on line. The biggest problem I have had has been trying to remember all the unique reference numbers that you get for doing self assessments. I can't even remember which b*%%(y file I put them in.

I have literally no idea jow to go about being self employed.
You simply start work and keep records of the income and expenses of your new self employment.

You are required to tell the taxman that you have started. This will tell you what to do .....

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/register-selfemp.htm

At the end of each tax year (5th April) you will be required to file a Tax Return giving details of your income, expenses and self employment profits and any other tax related income & gains.

Send invoices for all work you do and claim as many expenses as you can.

Remember you can claim any expenses you wish so long as the are clearly for your self employment work ONLY and result in no other personal benefit to you.

You need to be aware that some expenses are not allowed at all such as entertaining clients.

What about tax credits?
If your income is not large then you may be able to claim some working tax credits etc. However, to qualify for working tax credits, you will need to be working more than just 10 hours a week.

Information on those benefits here ....

https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/overview

Is their funding available?
I dont know of any funds or grants for someone in your position but maybe other members here do.

What about starting university?
Don't understand. What exactly are you asking?

You have to work 30 hours a week up to the age of 59. You can work at anything.

If you have any children you'd get Child Tax Credits too.

I don't see why you can't apply to go to University if that's what you want to do, but you'd have to check out grants, student loans, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now their trying to sanction me. The "advisor" told me I didn't have to come to the later appointment because I had it earlier and the later one would "automatically come off". Which it hasn't and shows as "non attendance". Their basically saying in a liar and in sitting here waiting.