Facebook

Elliebes
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4713 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hahaha.....someone said to me that facebook was a spy for the CIA and FBI collecting data on people so they dont have to! When you think about it we are really quite DUMB to put all our information out there for FB and other orgs that can get into it and get the low down on your life.

I agree on that one and FB is just a voluntary information database......I must admit Im on it most days but I just post daft quotes and comment on other peoples pics and vids and thats it! I dont put info on there about what Im doing...but then Ive not nothing to hide!

Yes Ive got a friend on my FB who is claiming unfit for work because of alcoholism but is on holiday at he moment in her property in Turkey. This did cross my mind. Lets face it if they look at you they going to look at your friends too....that goes without saying.

People who are unfit for work can go on holiday - as long as they don't do something they've claimed they can't do. And for an alcoholic its just as easy to be drunk there as here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1303826/Facebook-catches-single-mum-benefits-cheat-revealing-married.

I know this is old news but

DWP West Midlands Fraud Manager, Mark Pickering said: 'If you commit benefit theft, don't expect to get away with it. Our investigators are equipped with a wide range of powers and techniques to track you down.

'We are catching more and more of those who steal money intended for vulnerable people, and when we track them down they face heavy penalties.'

I wonder what made them go on this woman's facebook in the first place?

And this.................

In this age of social networking peoples social history and contacts can easily be accessed and read.

The DWP Department of Work and Pensions has been using facebook and other social networking sites to spy on and prosecute benefit claimants.

BENEFITS bosses are using Facebook to catch fraudsters. Investigators are scouring the profile pages of people getting housing and council tax benefits to check they are telling the truth about their family situations.

Leemak its a bit different when the person claims to be an alcoholic in recovery but they are unable to work, is claiming benefits and owns property in Turkey that they are living in every so often flying over there on the benefit money. I think its called benefit tourism.

And I heard either on the Employment forum here or from a friend, can't recall, that employers are using it to screen job applicants.

My best, HB

I've heard that too.

Given that some names are really common and some people don't have their actual picture as their profile picture, how do they manage to work out if this person is who they claim they are?

Employers have been using facebook and twitter accounts as a way of vetting potential and even current employess. My previous team leader is on my facebook friends list but not my current one!

I have to be extrememley careful of what is on my facebook and we have a media policy telling us what things are unacceptable and we can be dismissed fror breaking the rules.

There have been many stories where people have been dismissed for updating their facebook with some innappropriate or confidential material as well as fraud prosecutions.

Leemak its a bit different when the person claims to be an alcoholic in recovery but they are unable to work, is claiming benefits and owns property in Turkey that they are living in every so often flying over there on the benefit money. I think its called benefit tourism.

I can understand why you're upset about it. But benefit tourism is when people from other countries come here in order to take advantage of the benefits system - for instance EEA nationals. Not when you use your benefit money to go on holiday. As long as she's declared her property, doesn't stay longer than allowed, and doesn't contravene the WCA criteria that she was awarded benefit for, then she's done nothing wrong under the law. But I can see why it would be annoying.

I agree flumps and from now on Im going to be ultra careful in the future. I guess they can also tell aspects of your personality by what you post...

If you're not claiming anything you know you shouldn't, I cant see the problem with what you post on there myself.

I have started putting links on my facbook to stuff I sell on eBay. I expect my council who are on my friends list has been double checking me out haha but I am not claiming anything off them. But because I now sell stuff on ebay, I am glad I'm not.

If you're not claiming anything you know you shouldn't, I cant see the problem with what you post on there myself...

My viewpoint exactly. I'm happy to post what I feel appropriate for Facebook or other sites I interact with. I'm also building a website both as a personal project and with the hope of using it to publicise myself and future services I hope to be able to offer under the permitted work scheme. As it could be (at the moment) misconstrued as work related, I made sure I discussed it with my pathways advisor and showed her the site so far. Surely it's just common sense?

• 2 weeks later...