Bought new camera from Jessops - its not new!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought a Nikon D5000 with 18-55 and 55-200mm VR Twin Lens Kit from Jessops in Edinburgh today. Very pleased with it at £499 a pretty good deal.

Got home and opened it up, all seemed wrapped up and packaged as you'd expect with a new camera. Unwrapped the body and discovered theres an SD memory card in the slot - hmmm theres not supposed to be a memory card included in the kit.

take the memory card out and it has label on it with "passport camera" handwritten on it.

Put the battery in to check if there's anything on it - there are 12 shots, some of the inside of the store and some of the street outside as viewed from inside the store.

A bit put out by this. The Edinburgh Jessops store has a passport photo service.

Have I been given the camera they've been using to take peoples passport pictures, packed up and re-wrapped as though new.

Or have they perhaps just used this SD card to "test" the camera and forgotten to take it out? Either way clearly the camera has been out of its packaging and in someone else's hands and used before they sold it to me.

Going to be a trip back to the store tomorrow - was hoping for a straight forward purchase as well - alas not to be.

UPDATE

There are also 20 mug shots of assorted strangers on the SD Card - clearly been used for passport photos.

The shutter actuation count is only 35 according to the IExif file checked using Opanda. Thats nothing and two of them were me. But still - someones been using this camera for more than just an instore demo or testing and its the principle.