• Tweets

• Unsettling the applecart?,  I'm going to be direct here, I know how this works , I've been in far worse situation than your relative, and I can assure you , now that there i likely a default in her name, it makes absolutely ZERO difference if she pays or not. Denzel Washington in the Equalizer , 'My only regret is that I can't kill you twice'... It's the same with a default, they can only do it once and it stays on your credit file for 6 years if she pays or not, and as it stands right now she's flushing £180 of her hard earned money down the toilet  so that the chaps at Lowell can afford a Christmas party. As for the SAR this is everybody's legal right, originally under the Data Protection act 1998 and now under GDPR, it's her right to find out everything that the original Creditor has on her file, and by not doing it the only person she is doing a massive disservice to is her self. As the father of 2 young adults myself, they need to learn at some point.. right?
    • Thank you for your pointers - much appreciated. dx100uk - Apologies, my request wasn't for super urgent advice and I have limited online access due to my long working hours and caring obligations - the delay in my response doesn't arise in any way from disrespect or ingratitude. I will speak to her at the weekend and see if she will open up a bit more about this, and allow me to submit the subject access request you advise - the original creditor is 118 118 loans and from the letter I saw (which prompted the conversation and the information) the debt collection agency had bought the debt from 118 and were threatening enforcement which is when she has made a payment arrangement with them for an amount of £180 per month. It looks as if she queried matters at the time (so I wonder if I might with the FIO request get access to their investigation file?) - the letter they wrote said "The information that you provided has been carefully considered and reviewed. After all relevant enquiries were made it has been confirmed that there is not enough evidence present to conclusively prove that this application was fraudulent.  However, we have removed the interest as a gesture of goodwill. As a result of the findings, you will be held liable for the capital amount on the loan on the basis of the information found during the investigation and you will be pursued for repayment of the loan agreement executed on 2.11.2022 in accordance with Consumer Credit Act 1974"  The amount at that time was over £3600 in arrears, as no payments had been made on it since inception and I think she only found out about it when a default notice came in paper form. I'm a little reluctant to advise her to just stop paying, and would like to be able to form a view in relation to her position and options before unsetting the applecart - do you think this is reasonable? She is young and inexperienced with these things and getting into this situation has brought about a lot of shame regarding inability to sort things out/stand up for herself, which is one of the reasons I have only found out about this considerably later Thank you once again for your advice - it is very much appreciated.    
    • That's fine - I'm quite happy to attend court if necessary. The question was phrased in such a way that had I declined the 'consideration on the papers' option, I would have had to explain why I didn't think such consideration was appropriate, and since P2G appear to be relying on a single (arguably flawed) issue, I thought it might result in a speedier determination.
    • it was ordered in the retailers store  but your theory isnt relevant anyway, even if it fitted the case... the furniture is unfit for purpose within 30 days so consumer rights act overwrites any need to use 14 days contract law you refer too. dx  
    • Summary of the day from the Times. I wasn't watching for a couple of interesting bits like catching herself out with her own email. Post Office inquiry: Paula Vennells caught out by her own email — watch live ARCHIVE.PH archived 23 May 2024 11:57:02 UTC  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Letting agency vanished with rent and LL is causiing massive headaches!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4809 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have some issues with my LL, and have spent many an hour hammering the internet for information – I require additional clarification on what I’ve found out so far, any advice would be much appreciated!

I have been a tenant with the same LA for over 2 years and lived in two properties through them. I moved into my current rented property in September 2009, when my LL purchased the property I was renting at the time, and I agreed to rent her property through the same LA.

In January this year, the LA asked that all payments should be made to them in cash as they were ‘having problems changing banks’. Whilst this seemed a little strange, I had no issue or cause for concern as I had an excellent relationship with the LA, they had gone above and beyond their legal duties as LA, and I was very happy with the admirable way they looked after the tenants as well as the landlords. I made payments in cash, and received receipts for the same.

At the start of March, I received a phone call from my LL stating that I should not make any further payments to the LA, and that she would provide bank details for me to pay rent directly to her. She informed me that she had not received payment from the LA for February’s rent, and that she could not get in contact with anyone from the LA (office closed, no-one answering phone etc). She did confirm that at the end of Feb she spoke to a lady at the LA over the phone; it was someone she had not spoken to previously, and the lady stated that she was ‘a family friend helping out’. The LL told me that the lady confirmed that Feb rental had been paid, and that payment would be made to my LL asap. According to the LL, no payment was made.

My LL shortly afterwards posted the new tenancy agreement (AST for 6 months), and after adding some additional terms and conditions, I signed the AST. I would have preferred to move out of the property (I have met the LL and she can be very difficult, especially when you are voicing her errors or issues!) but as I did not have a security deposit (the LA had used the deposit as a rent payment on the previous property when my partner had to have emergency heart surgery and our funds hit the floor), and did not have the money to move, I didn’t see I had much choice. In the same correspondence, the LL also made additional claim that the LA had gone into liquidation, however, despite requesting the information three times in writing, she has yet to provide details of the Receivers, which makes me suspect that the LA has simply vanished and is not actually in receivership.

Under the new AST, the rent for March fell due on 21.03.11, however, following issues with my tax credit payment I was only able to pay £150.00 (the rent is £525.00 per cal month). I informed the LL of my circumstances in writing and confirmed that a) if the tax credit issue was resolved quickly, the rent would be paid as soon as I received the shortfall payment or b) if the issue was not resolved quickly enough, I would pay £50.00 on 25.03.11, with the full outstanding balance to be cleared on 01.04.11.

My LL has now stated in writing that unless payment is made in full by 25.03.11 for Feb rental (under the previous AST and already paid to the LA), and Mar (under the new AST), she will go to CC for a possession order. I have looked up the terms and understand that she is not in a legal position to seek such an order as there is less than two months rent arrears and the offer/reasons for late payment I have made for the arrears is reasonable, and also that she has not supplied any Notice of Intention. She also claims that she has filed a complaint with the police in regard to the LA, as it is a criminal matter, and that she requires receipts for payments made to LA dating back to Dec 2010, despite confirming in writing that she has received the rental payments for Dec and Jan (albeit late).

Sorry to go on, but I wanted to provide a full background, and would appreciate greatly any advice offered on the following points of concern:

As far as I can tell, the non-payment of rent by the LA is a civil matter, not a criminal matter as it involves the breaking of a contract by the LA, and as such the LL would have to sue the LA. Is this correct?

Is there a difference to LL/tenant obligations if the LA has just vanished rather than gone in administration?

Can my LL demand receipts for a 3 month period even when she has confirmed payment received for 2 of them? And what happens if I cannot find all receipts? (I am currently missing one receipt for a payment of £160.00). Am I legally obliged to provide any receipts at all?

I am a good tenant, and always make my rent the first bill I pay; I am in no way trying to get out of paying anything. I understand my LL concerns about the loss of her money, but I do object to being treated like I have done wrong and being threatened with eviction when she has no right to do. I am also having a nightmare with trying to get her to understand that whilst the boiler is indeed covered by a Home Care agreement as has a safety certificate, the other gas appliances do not have the same, and her Home Care agreement does not cover these. This is the mentality I am dealing with, so I need to be 100% certain of my legal obligation so that I can be sure where I stand, and not be harassed or bullied which is what I feel she is trying to do (repeated mention of it being a ‘police matter’, demands for rent confirmed as already paid, threats to evict etc). I feel she is trying to railroad me, and, with her coming to inspect the property on Saturday (I can’t wait :-)), I want to be able to firmly stand my ground should she make any demands that she is not legally entitled to do so.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!!

Hi, I can't answer all your questions but I know this.

You are not liable to pay Feb's rent again. If the agent has run off with the rent then that is the LL's problem and not yours.

What goes on between an agent and the LL is their business.

An expert will give you a much more detailed answer soon.

I think it is reasonable for LL to request copies of receipts for rent paid to LA or at least copies of bank statements / cheque stubs for said payments. You do not have to supply them or you can invite LL round to view the originals. As per Ashmk, you are not liable to pay again if you can show LA received the payments IMO If served with a s8 notice this evidence would be in your favour at the hearing, so worth looking for it.

If LL had several properties with same LA, she could be trying to sort out the mess left by LA and correctly apportion rents received.

Criminal charges for theft could be brought against LA, depending on legal status.

If you are prepared to post the trading name of the LA, some of the 'ferrets' on this Forum may be able to do checks. (not me tho)

If a valid GSC exists it should cover all LL (not T) gas appliances, not just gch boiler. T should be left a copy by GSC inspector.

Not sure why LL felt need to require new ASTas the pre-March version was still valid IMO, just needed change of address for service of Notices. Had you signed previous fixed term extensions or had T reverted to statutory periodic AST?

Thanks very much for your replies, much appreciated.

If you are prepared to post the trading name of the LA, some of the 'ferrets' on this Forum may be able to do checks.

The LA is Rochdale Estates on 4 Union Street in Rochdale. Any 'ferreting' would be greatly appreciated!

If LL had several properties with same LA, she could be trying to sort out the mess left by LA and correctly apportion rents received.

This is the LL's only other property aside from her family home, and the first time she has let property. She does act as though she is the only person to have ever let a property out, and at times her attitude had caused major friction with myself, and with the LA, as she cannot understand that the property is her house, but is no longer her home.

If a valid GSC exists it should cover all LL (not T) gas appliances, not just gch boiler. T should be left a copy by GSC inspector.

There is no GSC to speak of, just a Home Care Agreement with British Gas, who service the boiler/central heating anually. They have provided paperwork that boiler/CH is in working order and fit for purpose, but this is not a GSC, however I cannot get the LL to understand this. There are several other LL appliances including cooker, standard gas fire, and open chimney log burning fireplace.

Had you signed previous fixed term extensions or had T reverted to statutory periodic AST?

The T ended in Sept last year, and had reverted to SP AST. I did explain that no new AST was needed, but LL was adamant that a new one be signed or she would serve notice. This was apparently 'on advice from her solicitor', a statement which seems to follow on from every point she raises in her correspondence.

It's the aggressiveness of her manner since the LA have vanished that I find problematic; she's always been quite unreasonable (she went ballistic because we'd painted over a wall which was covered in black/brown damp stains in the same colour it was before for example), but this is a new level of aggressiveness, which makes me feel very uneasy, and makes me question whether she is attempting to scare me with constant talks of solictitors, police involvement, and threatening eviction, despite the fact I have always been a good tenant. I feel like she is railroading me somehow, maybe in order to cover up some loophole or something similar. I am not into loopholes, I like to play above board and pay my bills, but her hostile manner has really angered me, especially when her problems are not my fault!!

I've managed to dig out all receipts and/or Bacs payment except for one in the amount of £160.00 (my partner paid this and he is useless with bits of paper - it'll be around somewhere, I'll just have to excavate!), if I cannot locate this will this mean I have to pay the £160.00 again?

Many, many thanks once again

It's the aggressiveness of her manner since the LA have vanished that I find problematic

A rogue stole her money, you always dealt very happily with the person who has done the dirty on her so in her mind you are connected with something bad that happened. From what you've told us she's no businesswoman so will be taking what's happened as a personal affront and she's probably financially emarrassed too. You just happen to be around to bear the brunt of her anger. From the human point of view I can understand why she is being like this though I do agree it's appalling behaviour. You've done nothing wrong so don't allow her to bully you. Try being understanding and sympathetic instead of defensive - bullies and control freaks hate that.