CAG Site upgrade - thread 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those who have problems with pages freezing or not loading properly try 'refreshing' the page.

Not being funny but that is like teaching granny to suck eggs. The issue is with this site and this site only. There was even a vBulletin databse error earlier, Webby should have logs for that in the form of emails, as they are normally generated automatically.

If the search index is being redone, that would explain some of the slow down granted, but it is dfinitely on this site and not a user's PC so no amount of refreshing would solve it. The only time the refresh would work is when the site responds and shows itself within that person's browsers.

hi letsdothis, yes you are quite right, the other web sites i visit load very fast, etc, this one as present freezes,

and the refresh button is nothing to do with the problems, but i think we will all just have to give webby the time

to sort out the teething problems, it will be worth it in the end, orrrr for webby!

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol:

I am getting annoyed about the ad above appearing in every single thread as part of the 'last

post'

Me too! - irritating to say the least.

Also, the italics in the quote box is 'fuzzy' to read and the Quick Reply text is about size 5 - tiny....any way that can be improved?

I can't seem to post a new thread - any ideas? When I click on the tag there is nothing there for me to type in to.

hi, i have the same problem t.q.

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol:

hi letsdothis, yes you are quite right, the other web sites i visit load very fast, etc, this one as present freezes,

and the refresh button is nothing to do with the problems, but i think we will all just have to give webby the time

to sort out the teething problems, it will be worth it in the end, orrrr for webby!

Hi totiesquoties

No worries, I know things take time, but I just wanted Webby to know the issues are there that I listed. Plus others can also see, and then realise it is not just them, or their PC or the Internet playing up.

It will be worth it in the end once all the issues are sorted, I agree.

It's hard to sound positive whilst at the same time being constructive.... Trying to help saying "this is in the wrong place and this button doesn't work" and we're trying to help but the emotionless state that text is it can be read as whining quite easily, which I promise I'm not :p

An extra pixel or 2 on the font size wouldn't hurt in this world of hi-res monitors (point of interest, on my parents PC, my fathers account he has in 800 x 600 so he can read the writing on forums :lol:... I have told him he can zoom in but he prefers the old resolution!), If it went up for a vote for / against italics in quotes, I'd be against and that add within the last block of text is annoying, plus if someone has quoted someone else, the quoted text goes over the advert anyway (like this)

smallclaimsadvert.jpg

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I know this must seem a tiny issue.... but I can't get any smilies!! lol

I've tried "Go advanced" but they're not on there and if I put them in manually they sometimes come out wrong. Eg. ;-) should be a wink but it's looking deliriously happy instead... lol

Why does the site perform differently on different PCs? Or could that be the browser i'm using?

I'm on my work PC now. If I go 'advanced' it works OK, all smilies there etc. If I use my laptop I can't get it to open the 'advanced' window. But different browsers is the only main difference I can think of.

M

That's exactly that, Mand.

Last week, when it all changed, various people were reporting different problems depending on which browser they were using.

Ah ha! Makes sense now. Definately getting better by the day. keep finding new bits - like my own threads - which I couldn't find before.

Another niggle, when someone is quoted there is a link to their post, looks like this viewpost-right.png. That is only linking to the 1st post in the thread at the moment.

This one is a major issue.

Basically when the site was upgraded (I guess) the database was re-indexed. Problem is with deleted posts etc etc the original indexes would have had posts 'missing' gaps in the index.

When these get re-indexed these gaps are closed up.

So, the problem is that the historic threads have the index to the quoted post 'hard coded' into the page. And now the index number doesn't make sense.

An absolute nightmare to fix IMHO, and moreso as time goes on as each post made since the upgrade will be reusing post #s from the original site.

I may be completely wrong though :D I am just a user on here

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

It's hard to sound positive whilst at the same time being constructive.... Trying to help saying "this is in the wrong place and this button doesn't work" and we're trying to help but the emotionless state that text is it can be read as whining quite easily, which I promise I'm not :p

An extra pixel or 2 on the font size wouldn't hurt in this world of hi-res monitors (point of interest, on my parents PC, my fathers account he has in 800 x 600 so he can read the writing on forums :lol:... I have told him he can zoom in but he prefers the old resolution!), If it went up for a vote for / against italics in quotes, I'd be against and that add within the last block of text is annoying, plus if someone has quoted someone else, the quoted text goes over the advert anyway (like this)

smallclaimsadvert.jpg

I agree about the quotes being italicised - it's a pain in the bum when you're trying to emphasize a word to stress and you end up having to underline which does not give the same effect. I do actually prefer the look of the italics, I just don't think they function as well as plain fonts.

Also, has anyone had any issues with the site re-formatting stuff you put in? I copied and pasted a letter from my files, and all of my formatting (such as underlining, colour, bold etc) disappeared. The layout wasn't affected but the content was wiped of all additions to the plain font.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

The 'ad issue' is easily solved, but that is obviously a decision that has to be made by 'the boss'

It clearly doesn't work where it is, and it can easily be put underneath the last post or down the left beside the last post. Or slightly more involved, formatting the quote to 'give it room'

I'm sure this will be sorted once the 'real usability' issues are dealt with.

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Big fat empty advanced search page.................nothing there............can't type in it either.

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

It is very annoying when the "Edit" facility bombs you out after 5 minutes. My spelling and grammar is not great so I rely on the Edit function, but because I suffer from RA, it takes time for me to read and correct my mistakes but by then you can't edit.

Sorry............meant advanced reply takes you to a big fat nothing.

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Webby is trying to solve the historical search problem, which is meaning that the server is working hard on re-indexing. This will cause problems for a while over the site

Over 24 hours it took to re-index all the posts, and during that time the server was pretty overloaded. So apologies for the site being slow on Weds/Thurs. The good news is that this has solved the problem of search pre-upgrade posts

Sorry, still dont like it, its bland to view and difficult to work

For eample, how afetr plaqcing a new post do I change the notification from instant email to via control panel? Its probably me but it seems very complicated the old layout was much easier to use

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks