debt managers and standing orders

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an overdraft that im paying off via paying slips at the minute, at a reasonable rate, however i have come into a situation where i can clear more than half the balance all at once.

I asked them for standing order instructions to be sent to me, and they claim that it takes four weeks to set up because i have to fill it in and send it back to them to send on to my bank.

Needless to say i dont believe a word of it because as far as im aware a standing order is for me to instruct my bank, not for them to do it.

The lump sum payment i want to make is pretty big, so i dont want to do that with a payslip to make sure i dont lose it.

Any ideas anyone?

question everything!

It's very easy to set up a s/o just get their bank details etc like someone has said. I set mine up with my bank to pay my creditors. I downloaded the form from my bank and popped it through their letterbox. I only set it up 2 days prior to wanting the money to go out of my account so it's easy!

If its quite a considerable amount why not ask them to accept a lump sum as a full settlement of the o/d

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

well they did offer me xxxto setlle, strangely enough thats all i have left owing :O

needless to say i dont have that much available, and offered what i had, but they turned it down lol, but im not to worried.

I tried setting up with the details on the paying in slips, and my bank tells me its an invalid sort code.

Not sure what to do with it now, i got their standing order thing that im supposed to send back to them, marked at the amount per week we agreed, but as i said, i want to pay a lump off all at once, and paying in slips are not acceptable to me for large sums, and they wont budge.

question everything!

Hi

Usually there is a sort code and account number on the paying in slip, otherwise how would they get their payments. Double check the code, usually three pairs of numbers, thats all you need with their account number and your reference. Does it have the name of their bank on it too? Ask your bank to double check.

I have set up all my own standing orders and internet banking payments myself. Never had this problem. Can you pay via internet?

Just a few thoughts:)

t

all checked, she asked me to read them out as she typed them in, and had a colleague check, but now i looked at them again i spotted a missed detail!

Thanks for making me look again, will set it up in the morning now lol :)

question everything!

Make sure they dont con you into setting up a direct debit. they could rob you blind.

On your offer, they would of course always reject it in the hope they can cop more out of you.

Have you ever recieved any statements for this account? are there any charges on the debt that can be removed? You may find that its all charges youve been paying, be very wary

Dont make their life too easy;)

yeh no dd here, dont do them for anyone tbh, and i make them send me statements every 2 months lol., no charges either for once, i really do have to pay it all.

Only problem is how they want me to pay it lol :)

question everything!

the form they have sent you should have there bank details on it so all you need to do is go to your bank and give them the details on the form. Either that or the original letter they sent you might have bank details on the back so u can make payment.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 2 weeks later...

ok thanks guys i have tried all that now, i cannot make direct payments with the details i have of them, my bank (halifax) says that the account doesn't exist or its blocked or something, but they cant make payments into it.

I still have the original account details with me, would it work if i paid straight into the account does anyone know?

On another note, someone is sposed to be coming to get my doorstep this evening to, so im gonna koin the ranks of those with lost or missing doorsteps!

question everything!

Hello Izzitme101

Do you use internet banking? You could try and pay a small amount (£1) into the account that you have the "original details" for to see if it goes OK. Have the account details been changed? I pay in to mumerous alleged "closed" accounts, and I evetually get notification, so I know the payments are going. I had a probelm once that Bcard could not pay into an account that I do pay into! so maybe it is just the bank trying to dissuade you?

Hope this helps

OK, but unless your are confident that the original details are still valid, I would only try with a small sum first. if you pay a large sum in, it might get "lost" in the bank sysytem if there is a "funny" on the account, better to test the water first:)

Just got a lovelt letter from russel+aitken solicitors yesterday.

They say theyve been instructed to consider court proceedings, and may instruct their agents, and that no further intimation will be sent to me.

I may be wrong, but i dont think a court would look to well on a claim being made on a debt that is already being reapid?

Seems that they aint happy that i dont phone them every week, so ill be sending them a letter tommorow telling them that if they expect me to call their number, they will have toi pay the bill, as well as the dozen text to phone messages they left this week.

Gonna not bother with the standing order now either, they can take it as i pay it.

question everything!

Dear Sir/Madam

I am a bit bemused as to why you have instructed a solicitor to act upon a debt which is already being paid as best as can be done.

When I arranged to pay twenty pounds a week, I clearly stated to your agent that in some cases I may miss a week or two in order to pay for maintainence needed to keep my transport to work.

If you feel that keeping my transport to work is unnecessary, you should inform me of this.

Over the last few weeks, I have indeed needed to have some work done, and therefore, as agreed, I have missed or been late with one or two payments.

If your agent was not authorised to agree to this, then you should have contacted me earlier to inform me, so that other arrangements could be made.

Either way, I do not believe a court would look well upon a claim where payments are being mad as best they can, so if you really feel it necessary, then I suggest you go ahead and make the claim, take note that I will defend myself, and you may be liable for my costs, as well as other counterclaims.

I do not feel that I should have to call you every week to tell you what is going on, however if you believe I should, that would mean I would have to get an itemised bill for my phone calls and make deductions accordingly, this also applies to the text to phone messages which you have been leaving.

To date I do not listen to or answer any text to phone messages at all.

As of today, I will only discuss this issue in writing.

In the meantime, it would be helpful if you would send me more paying in slips for this account.

How does that look?

question everything!

Did you have prior notice from the OC that they would be instructing solicitors? Does the Solicitors letter show the correct sums and references? I would write to the solicitor in the first instance. If you can, post up the info by scanning in their letter on here, and hopefully someone with more knowledge can comment and help. Don't forget to remove all personal details and amounts.