Food, glorious food!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hmm not far different to my OH recipe but the dolop of english mustard is missing.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With egg yolks and sugar, but it's an awful pain because you have to watch it like a hawk in case it curdles. :eek:

I can get you the measurements of it all later, but personally I just use Bird's Custard Powder - and Bird's really is better than supermarket brands of custard powder (I think) because some of those are a really vile yellow.:eek::eek::eek:

Real home-made is nicer obviously if you can be bothered (and have the time) to do it. :)

Hi Fluffy My partner follows his own recipe which is for creme anglaise french for english custard.

1 vanilla pod, or 4/5 drops of vanilla essance or extract.

300 mls (1/2 pint) milk

300mls (half pint) cream

6 egg yolks

100g (31/2 oz) caster sugar.

split open vanilla pod and scrap out seeds place in a heavy based saucepan. Add the vanilla pod milk and cream and slowly bring to the boil.

place yolks and sugar into a bowl and whisk together until they lighten in colour.

Pour the infused milk and cream on to the eggs, whisking well. Return the mix to the pan. Place pan over LOW heat and cook custard for about 5 mins stiring all the time until it thickens slightly and coats the back for the spoon. DO NOT boil or the custard will curdle

Dont know how much it makes but its enough for us all and its a runny style custard not suitable if it needs to set use the shop brought stuff for trifles or if in needs to set.

Bookie l dont care if l got the translation wrong its what google told me.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 2 weeks later...

Just made these and they are lovely and melt in your mouth yummmmmmy :D

Vanilla Melts

8 oz plain flour

5.5 oz butter

4.5 oz caster sugar

1tsp vanilla extract

Rub butter and flour together, add the sugar and vanilla and bring together by hand.

Roll out on lightly floured board and cut into shapes.

Place in 180c oven for 15-20 mins until edges slightly golden, take out dust with caster sugar and leave to cool on a wire tray.

These would be great to make with children and could be cut into any shape, and instead of dusting them with caster sugar once cooled the kids could have great fun icing them.

Anybody have any good (tried and tested) recipies for sauces to go with steak? We like a good peppercorn sauce. We usually buy packet but I'd like to make a good one myself from scratch. I have tried a few recipies that have not turned out very well, and so was wondering if anyone out there had one?

Mungy Pup

I want to live in a world where chickens are free to cross the road without their intentions being questioned. :razz:

I used to make peppercorn sauce but cannot remember the method really.

It involved crushed black peppercorns and whole green peppercorns (1/2 tsp of each i think) and a knob of butter (fry them together), flambe with a pub measure of brandy then add UHT cream to thicken (not boil)

Used to make it in a small frying pan and it was enough for 2 fillet steaks

Rainbow Peppercorn Sauce (s)

Ingredients:

6 tsp. Fresh cracked black peppercorns

3 Tbsp. dried green peppercorns soaked in 1/4 wine

3/4 cup heavy cream

2 cups white wine (dry)

2 Tbsp. butter

Preparation with meat drippings:

If the sauce is intended for meat such as steaks, marinade by pressing a few cracked black peppercorns into them and coating in olive oil. Let stand for several hours.

If meat is cooked in a pan, deglaze the pan when cooking is completed and meat has been removed, with 1 cup of the wine and reduce to half over medium heat. See peppercorn sauce continued.

Preparation without meat drippings:

Add butter to a sauce pan and let lightly brown, deglaze with1 cup of the wine and reduce to half over medium heat..

Peppercorn sauce continued:

Add remaining cracked black peppercorns, green peppercorns, and 3/4 cup cream to sauce pan. Continue cooking while constantly stirring until sauce is reduced by half. You should now have about 3/4 of a cup peppercorn sauce which can be added to all kinds of food.

Enjoy!

Found some great Butternut Squash recipies.

£3.00 ish for a large Butternut Squash, easy to prepare and nutritious to eat.

Made this last night.

Butternut Squash and Chick Peas.

1 Butternut squash - peel, de-seed and chop into 1/2inch chunks.

Roast in a hot oven till soft and just colouring on the edges.

Tip into a bowl and whilst still hot add 1 drained can of chick peas and 1/2tsp cumin seeds.

Allow to cool. (can serve hot but add following ingredients at the last minute (or to the side) or the lettuce will wilt in the heat)

Add 3 chopped large tomatoes, 1/4 of chopped cucumber and a couple of mixed salad leaves.

Dressing - 6tbsp low fat plain yoghurt

1/2tsp finely grated lemon zest (or just lemon juice if no lemons lying around!)

1tsp wholegrain mustard.

Mix all together.

Serve Butternut Sqaush mix with a dollop of dressing on the top.

Serve as a filling salad on its own or with grilled chicken.

Yummy!!!!!

Curried Butternut Squash.

1 large Butternut Squash - peeled, de-seeded and chopped into 1inch chunks.

1 portion of spring onions - trimmed and halved length wise.

1 garlic globe cut in half (with all the dry skin left on, as it comes)

5g Fennel seeds - lightly crush half this amount.

1tsp cumin seeds lightly crushed.

3tblsp fat free sald dressing.

1tsp mild curry powder.

Roast together the squash, spring onions and garlic with the seeds sprinkled over the top, untill tender and just colouring on the edges.

Pop the garlic cloves from the skins (depending on taste how many you use) mash into the dressing and curry powder.

Pour over the squash and spring onions, mix and serve.

Again serve alone or with grilled chicken.

Tooooooo yummmmmmmmmy for words!!!!

Enjoy.

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

• 2 weeks later...

Night owl i dont know where your getting your butternut squash but l dont spend that on them.

I did say "ish".

I'd love to try growing them.

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Rich Chicken Minestrone Soup

this is one of my favourite recipes - inexpensive and nutritious.

Ingredients:

• Pack of chicken thighs (3-4)
  • 3-4 rashers of bacon chopped
  • 2 sticks of celery chopped
  • 2 carrots chopped
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1 courgette chopped
  • half a cup of frozen peas (not chopped)
  • half a cup of small pasta
  • 1.4 litres chicken stock
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

Method:

• Fry the chicken thighs in olive oil for about 7-8 minutes.
  • Remove the chicken, then fry off the bacon and onions for a couple of minutes, add the vegetables (not the peas) and leave for another 7-8 minutes.
  • Add the stock and the chicken thighs, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  • Remove the chicken thighs and at this point add the pasta and peas and cook for as long as is necessary for the past.
  • Cut the meat off the thighs, discard the bones & skin and put the meat back into the pan.
  • Once cooked, leave to stand for about 15 minutes or so.

All of the ingredients can be amended to suit, plus of course, you can add your own - cannellini beans are quite nice in this too.

Enjoy!

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

• 3 weeks later...
Bumpety Bump, for healthy ideas for those summer meals ;)

Salad.

Mix lots of different vegetables together and enjoy;):D

Sorted.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Second try. Here's something that can be a starter or part of a main course salad say, cold stuffed tomatoes.

Get some of the large beef tomatoes, one per person. Cut off a narrow slice from the top, which will be a lid later.

Hollow out the centre, pips etc. You could use them in a stock or soup later on.

Once you have a good hollow in the tomato, you need a filling. I like tuna flakes, prawns or shrimps for instance. I mix the tuna with mayonnaise or vinaigrette for fewer calories, or yogurt, then add little cubes of cucumber or some sweetcorn for a change of texture and a different flavour. Mix with seasonings and any herbs you want to add, then pile it back into the tomato shell.

Put the tomato lid back on, but if you've overfilled like I usually do, cut the lid in half and stick it into the top of the filling like a butterfly shape.

I hope you like that, sorry if you don't.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum