Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yeah we are lucky that we have a solid legal argument, you would think that the fact it was a career development loan that the bank would feel morally obliged to to do something to help you.

The only alternative training i am going to accept is my own i shall provide myself with books and book my own exams and to top it off i am offering myself a great job finding service, and a CV writing service that actually writes my CV for me. I will offer Barclays a great deal too only £4750 @ 29.9% interest.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Petition to: Request money back for students of the collapsed IT Firm Advent Consulting Ltd. | Number10.gov.uk

I have cancelled by direct debit and told BPF I am not paying any more (have paid around 50% of loan) and will not accept an alternate provider.

I want the remainder written off AND I want a refund for amount already paid.

I have told BPF this and am awaiting a reply.

I would be interested to know how many other students have similarly cancelled their DD, and are making a stand. Not sure how we can collate this information. I would feel a lot happier if I knew I was 1 of 2000, rather than, for example, 1 of 20.

Petition to: Request money back for students of the collapsed IT Firm Advent Consulting Ltd. | Number10.gov.uk

I have cancelled by direct debit and told BPF I am not paying any more (have paid around 50% of loan) and will not accept an alternate provider.

I want the remainder written off AND I want a refund for amount already paid.

I have told BPF this and am awaiting a reply.

I would be interested to know how many other students have similarly cancelled their DD, and are making a stand. Not sure how we can collate this information. I would feel a lot happier if I knew I was 1 of 2000, rather than, for example, 1 of 20.

Shadow plus Skyblue dave = 2.

I agree, but I think Barclays are bluffing and full of bull**** with 'we are confident we can find same if not better training provider' & 'we will be writing soon with details etc'. I think they're stalling in the hope some of us will give up in despair and drop the attack, or they can figure out a way to legally wriggle out of liability. :-x

I'm waiting for a call back from Trading Standards Office now and will post here with what they tell me. Consumer Direct passed my case on to the local office as that's the next step apparently after following Consumer Direct's advice to write to BPF (letter & 14 days to respond). I want to ask TS specific questions...

1. Even if barclays DO find another training provider, are we obliged to accept it or can we insist on a refund anyway (nothing in contract says we have to accept Barclays choice)?
  2. If Barclays are legally obliged to refund us in that case, what recourse do we have to force them to act? Financial Ombudsman or small claims court?
  3. Should we still, as a matter of course, put in a claim to insolvency practioner PKF?

If anyone has other questions they think we should ask, do please post them up.

as far as i am aware any money that the administrator recovers it is up to barclays to ask for the money not us as our contract is with barclays. so barclays pay us then ask the administrator to pay them whats left after other creditors have been paid.

Just been told by Trading Standards Office (Consumer Direct referred my case on to them) that in no uncertain terms can Barclays withhold repaying back the BPF loans and offer another training provider instead. The helpful man who called said he was surprised Barclays were insisting on doing that, as they normally just refund loans in these circumstances. He thought it odd and agreed they will be in breach of S75 Credit Act and due to pay back the money. I said it was being speculated Barclays were just trying to get out of paying back the money to students and he said that was indeed possible as there was no justification for their action.

I sent scanned copies of all the loan agreements, Advent contract etc and they are taking up the complaint on my behalf, contacting PKF as well as Barclays.

Just goes to show what a lying bunch of [problematic] Barclays bank is, eh? :-x:shock: GRRR!

not surprised bfp do not whant to pay it back amount is about 30 million pounds

i posted a message earlier today after i had phoned bfp about telling me who the new provider is. i also asked if the adminerstratos where trying to find a provider, he said no just barclays. checked the email from pkf, below is what they sent me.

Dear Sir or Madam

Advent Computer Training Limited in Administration (.Advent.) & Access 2 Careers Limited in

Administration (.Access.)

Ian J Gould and Brian J Hamblin were appointed Joint Administrators of both of Advent and Access by

the directors of the respective companies on 17 February 2010.

We write to you in your capacity as a student who has, to date, not received all of the agreed training

and/or course work that was due to be provided by Advent or Access.

Unfortunately, due to the respective financial positions of Advent and Access, it is not possible for your

training to continue at this time.

It is our intention to seek a buyer for the businesses and trade assets of Advent and Access which, if

successful, could include an undertaking from the purchaser to complete all outstanding training and

course work under the same or substantially similar terms to those of your agreement with Advent or

Access.

Based on the information currently available, we are confident that a buyer will be found.

strange that barclays told me that they were the only ones trying to find a provider. who to believe bfp or pkf

not surprised bfp do not whant to pay it back amount is about 30 million pounds

I also suspect a few executives of clydesdale Financial Services Ltd will need to be fairly inventive explaining to Barclays Plc how the got in this mess to start with.

David

I also suspect a few executives of clydesdale Financial Services Ltd will need to be fairly inventive explaining to Barclays Plc how the got in this mess to start with.

David

And we think we've got problems :eek: would like to be a fly on that wall

That's good news today Fuzzbutt a bit of encouragement to stand strong

Barclays actually managed to reply to my letter, and I received another bland reply yesterday (Saturday). Assured me that they are fully investigating my complaint and will 'contact you by 9 March with a detailed response. You may at this stage refer the matter to the Finance and Leasing Association (FLA)'.

Hmmmm.....looking at the FLA's website it doesn't look like they have any teeth to resolve this, just act as go-between. It says they can't offer legal advice or enforce any action on Barclays so I'm pretty suspicious this is a fob-off bollocks/red herring!:x

I'll go to the Financial Ombudsman, though I have to wait out a another 4 weeks before they can step in on a complaint. Barclays aren't going to squirm out of this!

my understanding of this is that for any regulated complaints the company has upto 8 weeks to deal with the issues raised. However should the company respond and you are unhappy with the result before the 8 weeks are up you can then take it to the FOS.

If you have to go to the FOS ensure you have copies of EVERYTHING you have sent and recieved to BPF.

Hi all I feel I may have info that has not been posted on this thread yet.

Yesterday I called BPF regarding the letter we alll recieved on Saturday and I spoke to a very nice woman and found out the following info.

1/ They will not give out the name of the new provider they are in talks with.

2/ They hope to have a name for us in a weeks time.

3/ Advent gave BPF the info about what courses we are on.

4/ Advent have been paid by BPF

5/ BPF are aware that this all needs to be completed by 24th of March.

6/ BPF are swearing blind that they are only liable for the course and not the money.

This morning I called Consumer direct to get some advice and was told to wait and see who they offer.

At the same time I asked if BPF where liable for the course or the money and the answer was if they dont provide a decent like for like alternate training supplier they are in breech of contract (which I thought had already happened) and then they are liable for the money.

Hope this helps

Keep up the pressure!

my understanding of this is that for any regulated complaints the company has upto 8 weeks to deal with the issues raised. However should the company respond and you are unhappy with the result before the 8 weeks are up you can then take it to the FOS.

If you have to go to the FOS ensure you have copies of EVERYTHING you have sent and recieved to BPF.

Yes, copies kept, certainly. The Ombudsman's office advised me too that it's 8 weeks before they can step in, but my complaint is with Bristol Trading Standards at the moment. I hope they can get some joy out of barclays and it won't have to go as far as the FOS or a small claims court now.

Hello alf man!

Welcome to CAG!

Yesterday I called BPF regarding the letter we alll recieved on Saturday and I spoke to a very nice woman and found out the following info.

It's best not to call them, but to keep everything in writing.

They are trained to be as Nice as Pumpkin Pie on the Telephone, but they will deny it all if you ever try to hold them to their spoken word.

Letters are more tedious when you want instant results, but letters will ensure you nail them in the end.

Cheers,

BRW

just phoned bfp about the new provider. asked them for a name so i could check them out on th net to see if they match advent. was told that they do not have that information and if they did they would no reveal it because it is confidential. i think that when we do get the name they should be checked out at compannies house to see how long they have been trading and not just set up by bfp. seems strange to me that after all this time that they do not have a name or even tell me.

I think they are cheeky Fookers 4 sayin it is confidential, when, if i remember right, its our money they are playing with, thats like my boss askin me who our supplier is an me sayin "oh cant tell u that its confidential" even tho her has paid me 5 to 10 grand for sweet FA

I was combing through my Barclays PF agreement contract but can't see this either BennyBelton...could you point out where it says that please? Don't think I've thrown any paperwork away accidentally, but all I can see is if a supplier goes bust you can sue them (Barclays) under Consumer Credit Act.

Or am I misunderstanding and was it something Advent sent you?

I dont think he means it says it word for word, but it has been said that the way in which they have worded the contracts is strange & that Barclays are tryin to FULFILL the contract & apparently they are legally allowed to do this due to the way the contracts are worded, it has also been said that BPF only have a certain time in which to Fulfill, but unfortunatly no specific timeframe was said... I hate it, i just want outta the contract now, they can stick my money, just get me out, then leave me alone:evil::evil::evil::evil:

Omg, it's like being on a seesaw are BPF liable or not:???: wish I knew for definate.

Are Trading Standards able to offer factual legal advice? if so then they are quite adamant that we can't be forced to have another provider and that BPF are liable as we had what she said a link loan and Advent have broken the link therefore BPF are jointly liable under the s75 of the consumer credit act.

To any right thinking person that seems logical but we're dealing with Barclays/Clydesdale and they can't just make up the rules to suit themselves.Or shouldn't be allowed to.

Just a thought maybe someone would know.. but could a reason for them stalling be anything to do with the end of the financial year being end of March beginning of April, would holding onto the money benefit them in interest or tax wise

Hi BRW thanks for advice I have gone down the route of emails, letters and phone conversasions just to keep up the pressure and yesterday was the first time they have said something differant just a shame they did it on the phone lol.

I think I will get in touch with a solicitor as BPF and consumer direct are contradicting themselves on a daily basis.

I think Bluedo has a good point about the end of the financial year looming 30 million gone would look really bad on thier end of year statement.

Also I was thinking if BPF have paid Advent for the course and are now having to pay again why not just refund people and if it is a cheaper course will we get the differance back or will they try and fob us off with a really bad course and tell us it cost the exact same amount of money????

So many questions..... and no clarity at all.

Advent and Access 2 have been bought out....

Birmingham Post - Business - Business News - Other UK business news - Deals agreed for collapsed training firms Advent and Access 2 Careers

I'm still going for a refund from BPF. I want nothing to do with this now. The name of the buying company/s not been released yet so research to do on that as soon as it's known.

Advent and Access 2 have been bought out....

Birmingham Post - Business - Business News - Other UK business news - Deals agreed for collapsed training firms Advent and Access 2 Careers

I'm still going for a refund from BPF. I want nothing to do with this now. The name of the buying company/s not been released yet so research to do on that as soon as it's known.

Don't think it changes the fact that they delivered unsatisfactory service and we're not honest in their sales pitch.

what we signed for terminated.

Contract was breached this would need to be a new contract that I don't want.

So what's the big secret as to who has bought Advent?

The whole thing stinks

Also on a more serious note, the only company you really want your training switched to is Computeach, they now stand alone as Barclays did exactly the same to them last year, but as they had been around for a much longer time where able to weather the storm.

If Barclays changed your training provider please also check the following and if they are not registered with these companies they are not the equivelant:

Microsoft Gold Partner

CompTIA Learning Alliance Partner

Institute of IT Training Gold Standard Accredited Training Provider

Authorised Pearson View Test Centre

REC Member

Advent were at this level, therefore your new training provider should have to be too otherwise you should be able to say its not the same as the contract and you want your money back!

Dont forget these things to:

You had a no fail guarantee on your exams.

A careers team to assist you into work.

Free Phone Line.

Min 2 x training days per module.

All course work was from that govening body, for instance Microsoft. It was not skills train dare I say that provided people with Course work 2 years out of date and we ahd just introduced Microsoft Server 2008 and Windows 7 to the Certified Professional Programme.

Your new training provider must offer you these things!

hi guys in the same boat but still had now no contact from bpf by post yet. paid loan last may so account closed n archived (took 3 phone calls to find that out) now sticking to sending letters no replys yet.the reason i've done the above quote is if they try to palm us off with a new TP they have to match or better these stats and i think advent were comptia platinum partners last november (not many of these about dont think bpf have a chance of matching that).

thanks for all the posts guys been very helpful

jay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks